What Does Visible Range Load? Preload Radius?

Found a few good threads that offer some good info (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=103625&highlight=preload+radius+visibility) but at best, dance around the questions I'm try to get answered.

I am fine-tuning my settings for better FPS, trying to find that threshold of the lowest settigns I can tolerate without compromising gameplay. For instance, I am OK with how the Visib Range looks at medium. I don't need to see factory smoke 100nm but I HAVE to be able to see other aircraft loaded at the maximum range. I am getting hammered in dogfights and the thought of unknowingly lessening the range at which an enemy aircraft loads makes me believe this thread is worth posting.

So, when adjusting the visib range, what, exactly, is being loaded at a different distance? Same question for preload radius. If I adjust those sliders, do I risk not loading enemy aircraft at longer ranges?

Follow-up: Does the TGP load ranges differently? For example, if my settings are adjusted to load only inside 50nm but my TGP is focued well beyond that, will relevant objects appear on the TGP or would I have to slew the TGP to within 50nm to pick them up?

Thanks for the help,

~J

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

pre-loading is just to do with object being loaded into system RAM during mission load, this is to minimise reading from HDD during mission (can cause stutters)

the visibility distance however is set of ranges at which all kinds of objects (trees, cities, terrain textures etc) can be seen... aircraft are not affected by this as all military vehicles and aircraft are always set to 80km max visibility distance... of which lot depends on each 3D model LOD and their distance values

• Like 2

No longer active in DCS...

Excellent, Kuky. Thanks for the help. I figured the answer was simple and feel kind of stupid for starting a thread for such simple question, but it seemed important.

Good info to know.

~J

• Like 1

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

Hi Kuky

Can you give any info on the follow question?

Quote: "Follow-up: Does the TGP load ranges differently? For example, if my settings are adjusted to load only inside 50nm but my TGP is focued well beyond that, will relevant objects appear on the TGP or would I have to slew the TGP to within 50nm to pick them up?"

Regards,

Milli

• 2 weeks later...

Terrain is rendered the same distance in TGP as in world, The trees and buildings though are rendered much further out (you probably noticed this) and objects like vehicles/planes/etc are matching world settings (ie if you set objects to 50Km they will be shown on TGP up to same distance (50Km)

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...