When will the current map be made to look better?

Dudester22

Are there any plans to make the current map look any better? I love all the modules and that, but isn't it about time we had something decent to look at when flying around? The name DCS World, it doesn't really sound right at the moment when you consider it's one small map with not much to look at. I know there is talk about this Nevada map, but to be honest I'd prefer not to talk about that considering there is hardly ever any news about it or it's release date.

No, the current plan by ED is not to work on the Georgia terrain.

So we are stuck with this map for how long exactly? Like I already said, it's hardly a world with one small map that's been around for how long again? Maybe DCS Georgia might be more fitting.

Edited by Dudester22

So we are stuck with this map for how long exactly?

Until EDGE, and that other map, are released.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

why? it is the same map since 2005. based on my observations since they started, they only improved the field textures . but now the year is 2013!

yes they overhauled perfectly their aircrafts and systems but i cant say the same things for land graphics and elevation.

Edited by theropod

The reason there has been no work on the Georgia map is because if i'm honest with you, it don't really need it. It looks fine for the average height we fly at and only two of the garage ever really have to worry about it in more than passing.

We're supposed to be slowly moving over to the EDGE engine and that looks very pretty and has new terrain, so let's sit tight and wait for that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The reason there has been no work on the Georgia map is because if i'm honest with you, it don't really need it. It looks fine for the average height we fly at and only two of the garage ever really have to worry about it in more than passing.

We're supposed to be slowly moving over to the EDGE engine and that looks very pretty and has new terrain, so let's sit tight and wait for that.

The average height you fly at in a helicopter is far different to that of a fighter jet. The terrain looks awful in the helicopters, so much so that I purchased them and then gave up flying them straight away. The other thing I wanted to ask is are all these airports based on real ones in Georgia? I ask because they appear far to close to each other, but I could be wrong and this might be real world airports.

The other thing I wanted to ask is are all these airports based on real ones in Georgia? I ask because they appear far to close to each other, but I could be wrong and this might be real world airports.

Yes. Feel free to check out Google Earth.

EDIT: I agree about the helo flying. Looking at the trees up close is rather sad, not to mention flying through them.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The average height you fly at in a helicopter is far different to that of a fighter jet. The terrain looks awful in the helicopters, so much so that I purchased them and then gave up flying them straight away. The other thing I wanted to ask is are all these airports based on real ones in Georgia? I ask because they appear far to close to each other, but I could be wrong and this might be real world airports.

Again - those of us with a long history with flight sims have a bit of a more relative viewpoint. DCS World looks great to me from helos...because..I remember..

And yeah..I think they are real world airport locations..

tblisi1.thumb.JPG.3fb3249b63b1dee5033e15f9f61915d0.JPG

Edited by BeachAV8R

Again - those of us with a long history with flight sims have a bit of a more relative viewpoint. DCS World looks great to me from helos...because..I remember..

With today's technology and the map been older then 8 years, it could look alot better then it does today.

But you have to remember this game was von 1986.... 10 years later there was MS Flight Simulator 95 which compared to Gunship was a completely new graphic experience... and again ten years later, around 2004, there came Lock-On and this Georgia Map ... and nearly again 10 years later, 2013 ... there's as good as no progress concerning graphics while the hardware became ten times better again.

It's a quite frustrating if you compare this 10 year old graphics to other titles like BF3 and so on ... :cry:

Simulating the avionics of an aircraft is one thing, but let it look like an aircraft in a real world with real sounds is the other thing.

lets wait for EDGE .. :music_whistling:

Edited by tarracta

It's a quite frustrating if you compare this 10 year old graphics to other titles like BF3 and so on ... :cry:

Almost as frustrating as when one compares a sim with multiples of square mileage required to model versus a limited gameplay area... ;)

Personally, I think DCS World is a beautiful arena that does a great job of replicating real life. Do I wish for more detail? Sure. Trees that you can collide with? Yep.. But overall, as you approach more and more realism you are going to get diminishing returns on graphics and heck, even gameplay. The fact of the matter is that we just aren't going to see massive jumps of improvement as we start to approach "photorealism" compared to what we saw decades ago.

Again, consider the source though - this is a guy that still enjoys firing up MicroProse's Red Storm Rising (playing it in DOSBox) and thinks that the graphics don't necessarily make the game. I'm equally happy playing Jane's F-15, EECH, and Longbow 2 as well..

If DCS could import EECH's dynamic campaign (though it could get repetitive) and never touch the graphics again I'd be a happy camper..

YMMV of course..and that's all good..

BeachAV8R

We have all these aircraft projects when's someone going to announce a map project?

Maps will go a long way toward helping the perception that the graphics look old when in fact it is more boredom with the current theater I think..

BeachAV8R

I'd need some research help on this..but BF3 Kharg Island is reportedly 7 square miles in size? Is that right? If so - you can understand why the developers could spend such a huge amount of time with very small and intricate environmental details. What is the size of DCS World in comparison? And the size of the development teams?

Just a thought to consider..

The current map is showing its age now. The lighting especially looks very flat compared to 777s Digital Nature engine for instance.

We have all these aircraft projects when's someone going to announce a map project?

It was announced a while back, it's called Nevada, but so far it's all talk and nothing more. We have no idea when it will be released and this is the frustrating bit for me. I hate to think I might be flying this Georgia map for another few months or even years before it is released. Every other game gives you the surrounding that make the experience so much better, be it formula one with nice tracks and surroundings, to shoot em ups like Bf3. This game has the modules but the surrounding ruin it for me because they are so old now. I am also amazed how I am not able to get 60 fps with scenery settings set to high. I have a top of the range computer and have to have medium setting just to get a consent 60fps. This map is 10 years old map and I still have to have medium settings? Why is that?

Edited by Dudester22

Why is that?

a) Graphic options are not necessarily tuned so that the maximum runs on the newest hardware.

b) The engine renders out to 100km distance.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

compared to other "study sims" this map is very nice.....go play BMS for awhile and come back to DCS....you will stop complaining....ED has already said they are working on a new terrain engine that will improve the scenery and many other little problems like tree clipping(hopefully).....the average wait time is "two flight sim weeks"...so hold your breath...

comparing DCS to other games is foolish....there is nothing out there besides BMS that can really compare....if its not to the standards you think it should be, you should start your own production company, call ED, get a partnership and start making your own map...otherwise you will need to wait for "Edge", the new graphic/terrain engine that is already in the works

I come from IL-2, EnemyEngaged, BMS, and gunship2000....this map and trees looks great compare to them

after the release of "Edge"...you will have a whole new group of things to worry about...PC performance will be at the top of the list for most ppl....be careful what you wish for...you get it and you may wish it was back to the good ol' days when you could run the game on a medium pc (remember, what is high end today, is a crap pc tomorrow).....

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

• 2 weeks later...
It was announced a while back, it's called Nevada, but so far it's all talk and nothing more. We have no idea when it will be released and this is the frustrating bit for me. I hate to think I might be flying this Georgia map for another few months or even years before it is released. Every other game gives you the surrounding that make the experience so much better, be it formula one with nice tracks and surroundings, to shoot em ups like Bf3. This game has the modules but the surrounding ruin it for me because they are so old now. I am also amazed how I am not able to get 60 fps with scenery settings set to high. I have a top of the range computer and have to have medium setting just to get a consent 60fps. This map is 10 years old map and I still have to have medium settings? Why is that?

once we have multi cpu support expect better visuals for terrain engine. right now much of the cpu is

running aircraft systems and flight physics.