AI helicopter air combat tactics

Bushmanni

I posted a video of helicopter air to air fighting with guns only, me in Ka-50 vs. 4x Apaches. The engagement is pretty ridiculous in regards to tactics as only the flight lead is trying to engage me, and when he gets hit, he makes an evasive maneuver during which I get into his six and he forgets about me. Meanwhile his wingmen just keep flying formation on him while I position myself for the final sweep.

First of all the shooter in the group should be changed if the current shooter is in some way not able to shoot and there's someone else in a better position. Targets aspect, range and altitude difference should be considered when choosing the best unit to shoot. Basically figure out whose going to be able to get a good shot at the target quickest. There should be some delay for selecting new shooter so that it doesn't get swapped around multiple times in a second but so that it would take 3-5s at least to choose a new shooter, basically simulate the delay it takes to communicate the change.

Most ATGMs can be dodged by flying fast enough perpendicular to them. AI choppers should try to dodge these missiles like that unless they can kill the shooter before his missiles can hit. Apache should be able to use this technique while guiding Hellfires. While it might be too much advantage in air-to-air against Ka-50 for playability, it should be implemented at least for the excellent skill level.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing of mentions is, set 2 AI apache's to attack ground infantry group, they fly toward it, once they begin getting shot at, they take evasive action and then head for armoured targets miles away from the ground infantry and the zone I told them to fly into