Infantry squad as a playable unit.

dooom

I don't need or even want a first person shooter. Perhaps we need to think about infantry gameplay similar to how THC approached it with their Full Spectrum Warrior series?

Check it out ... I loved this game immensely. You would control the fire teams as a single unit by choosing waypoints and formations... Made for great gameplay

""This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

That game had great potential but I was expecting a tactical squad leading simulation and got an action puzzle game instead. Would have loved to see the Army version as it supposedly didn't have all the stupid things the consumer version had. But anyway, doing something similar with DCS infantry might not be too bad idea, as long as the infantry AI is updated to meet the demand. As DCS World consists mostly of forests, mountains and fields the gameplay can't be copied directly from FSW as it dealt only with urban environment. Back in the days (maybe 1993) there was a game called Seal Team that had somewhat similar idea but environment being Vietnamese jungles. The graphics weren't that great but the idea was pretty cool. Here's a video of the gameplay.

A crossbreed between Seal Team and Full Spectrum Warrior in DCS World would be sweet.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

we just need an aiming/moving interface for infantry. Arma 3 knocking hard

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

That will be cool. We could have some "CQB" style missions inside and around big cities. Spawning as an Igla Man Pad to punch a hole in the heli that ruin your tank would be fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 3 weeks later...

Real FPS in this game would lure a LOT of Arma members over here. There are a lot of Arma players that want to fly in Arma but the Flight Sim in that game absolutely SUCKS! Not to mention Arma 3 seems to have lost all aspects of realism. Its quickly becoming the domain of BF3 / DayZ / COD players. The old realism crowd is being ignored and pushed out. Their looking for a new game now themselves. You should make a better combined arms that looks more like Arma 2 / ACE and stick in FPS. Maybe you could lure over SickBoy and the ACE team to help you out. They don't seem too enthused about Arma 3. I know a lot of people say this will take a lot of CPU/GPU/Take your pick/power, but that's why we're gamers. We don't play on laptops. To me, some of the mods (trees and grass) are already approaching the graphics of Arma 2. You just need to put in more terrain variety, etc. And yeah, I know the area involved is a 100x more than Arma, so we don't expect you to vary the terrain "everywhere", just in some moderate sized areas that can be used for FPS.

Edited by Bigby Wolf

Id rather pull my toe nails out than have this kind of thing in DCSW. [Edit: That's unfair, I would love for it to 'arrive' and to 'work', but I don't want ED wasting time on it.]

Don't get me wrong, its a great idea and IF they could make it work it would be really fun. Realistically though, its never going to happen, far less work.

Practically speaking the best we can (or should) hope for is control of 'unit' level movements and orders via CA as is, (I believe) being worked towards. I can see this working like a more intuitive, better and more effective version of the dynamic campaign in Falcon 4.

In the mean time, if your a soldier sim fan? Play ARMA. Just like I wouldn't go to ARMA to fly the A10, I wouldn't expect soldier simmers ever to arrive in DCSW and do solider simming.

-Sharpe

Edited by Sharpe_95

ARMA 3 is not unrealistic, the game itself is pretty good. Maybe the fact that they tried to take it into the future might be but that is just the storyline of the game. Physics are pretty good. So are ballistics. Remember the game is still in beta testing. If what you don't like is fighting futuristic iranian soldiers the solution is just to download a mod and put modern russian, or terrorists in there, instead of the iranian soldiers.

--EDIT--

And yes flying does suck! But not the infantry. And that COD, Battlefield and unrealism crew is just getting DayZ.

Actually, it doesn't appear it would take much work to insert FPS. I've played very good FPS games that had less graphics than this. Quake mods like True Combat and UT mods like Infiltration come to mind. Arma 2 doesn't have much better grasses and trees than the mods I see for DCS. All you need to do is make a few areas on the maps more built up in terrain ( Anywhere from Arma sized islands to as small as Crysis maps ) and have some decent enterable buildings and objects. The rest can be left plains and grasslands. All you have to do is look at Arma 2 to see what vehicles you need. Then just add a playble infantry soldier. I would imagine that is far less difficult than making an aircraft ( and far less demanding in calculations ).

Personally, I'm just waiting on DCS to make an SDK to do it, then just talk to some of the numerous groups who would be interested in making it happen.

It's really just a matter of time. Most FPS type players want integrated infantry / vehicles / aircraft. The Electronic Battlefield Spectrum Holobyte invisioned 20 years ago. Its kind of here already, but in an unrealistic way. I would like to see their vision of a REALISTIC one. CA is a start, but it has a long way to go. I look forward to the day I can engage a human intelligence on the ground. Right now, the AI infantry just dance around playing ring around the rosie, or sit and wait to be slaughtered.

I guess, in the end, what I really want to see is a FAR more realistic VBS.

Edited by Bigby Wolf