F-18 Radar

Hackeriss.lv

I'm new to this forums so i dont know where to start! I think this is the place where i'll most likely to meet devs.. anyway

As we know ED is making F18 module

and i'm a bit worried about the Air-Ground capabilities of it.. especially A-G radar.

I'm sure that devs of ED have got their own idea about implementing A-G radar but i've made a little tech demo of my SAR imagery application which can be easily implemented in DCS World game engine.. (judging by how the FLIR works in it)

Here is a small demo.

It is quite primitive for now but i want to show just how close to real SAR image i can get with the things i used.

Second demo

Location - Batumi/Batumi airfield

Third demo

Very optimized version of fcr

Tell me what you think!

Edited by Hackeriss.lv
Updated with new demo

Flight sim addict, physics freak, mathematics degenerate :D

Video does not appear to exist any longer. :/

Take a look at our in-depth DCS A10C tutorials

If you want to participate in these tutorial sessions, please send me a PM and I can get you setup! :)

TUTORIALS TO RETURN "VERY SOON"

This demo was made from areal photo so adjusting resolution is just a matter of seconds!

And i just made the second demo!

Location - Batumi

Both planes and tanks seen are 3d objects rendered with custom made shader! I've seen shadows in some SAR images so i added some in this demo.

Edited by Hackeriss.lv

how does a radar (air 2 ground) image really look like? Couldnt find examples with google...

only tgp images...

It looks however you make it look like through signal processing.

It's basically the same question as asking how the world sounds for a bat. There is no way to experience this except using signal processing to alter the data so it can be processed by humans.

Edit: SAR images look very similar to FLIR in that they are often greyscale, so it may be that you actually saw radar images.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

how does a radar (air 2 ground) image really look like? Couldnt find examples with google...

only tgp images...

It looks like that:

1331579069815.jpg

Google 'synthetic aperture radar'

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

I'm new to this forums so i dont know where to start! I think this is the place where i'll most likely to meet devs.. anyway

As we know ED is making F18 module

and i'm a bit worried about the Air-Ground capabilities of it.. especially A-G radar.

I'm sure that devs of ED have got their own idea about implementing A-G radar but i've made a little tech demo of my SAR imagery application which can be easily implemented in DCS World game engine.. (judging by how the FLIR works in it)

Here is a small demo.

It is quite primitive for now but i want to show just how close to real SAR image i can get with the things i used.

Second demo

Location - Batumi/Batumi airfield

Tell me what you think!

Hello Hackeriss,

please note that Coretex Designs is doing the F18E Super (!) Hornet whereas ED does the Legacy F18C Hornet. The Super Hornet has advanced capabilities over the legacy Hornet which include an enhanced Air to Ground capability under many features that have been improved. I will be forwarding your post to our developers to see if they can give you more information concerning this matter.

Stay safe,

Martin

Coretex Designs

3D modeler at Coretex Designs

Oh wow.

That looks so clear! Never thought it would be that detailed. Thanks!

And that's a low res image/zoom compared of what actual radar are capable of ;)

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

I think, an SAR could be implemented the same way, the TGP is and the Mavericks Sensors are implemented. They all provide an image of the ground through a separate render-target (thats how I would do it with the UDK) that is then used on the screens of the cockpit.

I guess, the best way would be to go with the shader-code for the Infrared White-Hot view of the TGP.

Looks very good. Could you explain to me how it works? Is this in DCS?

Regards,

Martin

Coretex Designs

This wasnt created in DCS cause i dont have an access to sdk tools BUT it utilizes very simple things that dcs already has in it. (mostly color grading)

For optimized version.

First thing to do would be duplicating DCS world texture map (the one that is in editor)

Clean it out from any lines stripes and other things that don't show on real SAR image.

i'm pretty sure that this map has everything done in layers like edges of mountains, houses,roads,rivers - all have different layer that all can be removed with disable layer option. If not.. well it all can be done with hand manually!

After that its easy tweaking by using Contrast Brightness and other mathematical color manipulations that can be easily generated and that don't use aloth of processing resources.

About placed 3d objects.. Every object would show up with its own shader that could add color properties to 3d objects to match the real world sar image visuals.

The other un-optimized version works very similary as the optimized version..

Only instead of DCS world editor texture map.. it utilizes the texture that is ingame used for terrain.

All those physical properties of radar (for example you cant see trough mountains)

those can be created by using height maps of mountains/terrain and the line of sight calculations.

Using this method its quite hard to acquire one specific target like a tank.. but if there are ten of them moving down the road in column it is quite easy to spot it.

Ideally you'd render the scene with a single light source at your aircraft position. :) I guess that's not that easy to do

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Doesn't work as beautiful eather :D i've tried something like that in 3dmax.. idea is quite nice "on paper" but in reality you don't get as stunning results as you would expect.. + in dcs calculating that light would be much computing requiring than using simple mathematical equations for color grading.

What about just having a "camera" taking a snapshot in the 3d world from a top-down view. Apply filters, done?

Keeping that image as snapshot and applying filters to huge textures in real time would drain the processing power.

Actually if you take a look on my first fcr videos its something like it just without that real time filter rendering.

EDIT

And taking snapshots would break one of the main rules that you shouldnt be able to see through mountains with your fcr. you could script that the camera bounces off from terrain in front but the collision calculation and the angles of camera in relation to mountain would just give you catastrophic results.

Edited by Hackeriss.lv

What kinda processing power are we talking about, and for how long?

Hmm.. CPU because to add filters to an snapshot that consists of high or even medium resolution images would just create un-needed use of cpu and

keeping that snapshot + keeping those filters on that image would cost useless amounts of ram!

Yes it is possible to create images on hard drive so that ram doesnt get all that usage.. but in minute or two you would end up with hundreds of images on your pc.. and from experience huge amounts of game engine generated images interfier with scripts/commands that are creating them.