My Pit - Just started...

X93355

So I've decided to do some work on a medium level fidelity pit after reading through all your amazing threads and posts.

I particular like what Wasserfall has done with his SU27 pit (just fantastic).

Plan of Attack

Bought my very first Router and am building a pit that will sit on a platform and be modular as I am waiting ever so patiently for the FA-18C

Ejection Seat

I've started on a low fidelity copy of the MB Mk10 which is now off at the upholsters. If I like it, I'll do the plans and have it laser cut from aluminium.

I'm looking to have the seat put on rails so it can be pushed in and out easily and perhaps have a backward firing ejection sequence.

Side Consoles

Have gone with a modified version of Dimebug's with a flat top.

Metalnwood has been very kind to start making me some panels which I would like to eventually have some of them working (most to look good initially then add functionality later). MnW has offered me his CLP which I just couldn't say no to.

I've got two iPad's that are running iControl which I hope to use in someway and of course the TM Warthog (have an extension being built currently).

Front Panel

Have decided on a modular system here, where I will have a cut-out the size of a 32" LED (using Helios) that can be swapped out depending on what aircraft you wish to fly.

I have picked up Reactorone's Landing Gear Panel and it is really nice as it just isn't the same pressing G.

Screen

Just going with a 47" LED at present but a family friend makes the mirrors for the Cobra Simulation curved screens so I'm quite interested in seeing how that works once this is all built. Ideally though I would like to have a motion platform with 6DOF movement such as CKAS.

Help!

So here is where I get undone, being at the bottom of the world in NZ, I am struggling to find sources for:

• Knobs and switches etc that I will need (without paying an arm and a leg via open cockpits)
  • Dzus fasteners and rails for the panels
  • As well as the control boards etc that I will need for: General Lighting, LDG, CLP,
  • 2 x Ejection Seat Pulleys (for the inertial cords)

Being picture driven, I work well with pictures on how to connect everything up etc. For anyone that helps, I would be more than willing to send you a 75mm dia embroided patch of the F-18C (as per my avatar).

I'm in no rush (just want it all working by DCS F18C release) but special mentions need to go to MetalnWood, Gadroc, Dimebug, Reactorone, Wasserfall and throughout all this, I have such an amazing wife who encourages me in this :)

IMG_0071.thumb.JPG.481e55db4f5ac4aff2bbe8aa58c8d2f9.JPG

IMG_0082.thumb.JPG.e6f06d784320f93b1ee84be79b6d30ac.JPG

IMG_0098.thumb.JPG.0a6ccc1dcffefe5466e5cc154d7cb3cf.JPG

Edited by X93355

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking great and congratulation on the nice looking ejection seat.

I agree with mulishaknight using http://www.mouser.com but there are a lot of others e.g. digikey, Farnell etc.

With regard to the dzus rails I haven't found any and are using a mix or aluminium L-shape and U-shape bars instead.

Control boards I am using:

Brydlings B256A13 http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80201

Check out some of the last posts as he is currently having too many projects but expect to be making board a little later this year.

Leo Bodnar cards BBI-32 & BU0836X: http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/

Both can handle rotary encoders using a little software available on the web site.

Phidgets LED output card: http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1032

Hope this was of any assistance. Happy building :thumbup:

Cheers

Hans

Thanks Mulisha / Hans,

Looking into it now. Just bought some items on ebay for the seat. The seat is going to be raised off the ground in a suspended state by rails attached to the back. Would be good to have the leg restraints as well. Certainly sucks up the money almost as bad dating does.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Wanted to let you know. There's Dzus rail on ebay US right now. The railing auction says it only ships to the states, but the main body of the text says the ship price is for the states only. Anywhere else will be more. Could try anyway. Good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ST-000-DZUS-RAIL-TEN-FOOT-LENGTH-/370851054167?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item5658720257&vxp=mtr

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

Thanks MacFevre, I've contacted him to see if he will.

• 2 months later...

Let me try this again.... have done a bit more work on the pit.

IMG_0200_zps6bda3c50.jpg

A few days on...

IMG_0187_zps406dc97e.jpg

Here is the main monitor stand. I've included two areas, one for the sub woofer and the other for my new PC case (HAF XB). This unit is really nice, includes 2 x SSD's, basic water cooler and 2 x 6950's overclocked.

IMG_0202_zps2b7a3bbe.jpg

Here is one of the side views of the incomplete main monitor stand... it's a bit rough for the grill but that was all by hand...

IMG_0231_zpsacb3b782.jpg

I've bought some carpet for everything to sit on and had the edges trimmed then placed on a platform to make it stand out more like a simulator...

IMG_0225_zps1f984680.jpg

Here are some of my panels from "Metalnwood" - thank you Jason - awesome...

IMG_0219_zpsef056018.jpg

Here is the unit as it sits today. Nothing is quite finished yet, with lots still to do to the seat, front and side panels etc plus I need to finish sealing up the main monitor stand. The panels are just sitting on the consoles, I am routing the consoles next week and going to start mounting them.

IMG_0223_zps63b104be.jpg

I'm very pleased with how it is coming out for a first attempt. With time, I'll get it looking as good as I can, with a full modular front and side panels.

I particularly like the seat, it feels quite real to sit in and how it hangs there (this next picture is the mark 1, which I have altered but it shows how it balances....

IMG_0177_zps99d814c4.jpg

That's enough for this update... thanks for all the inspiration from your own pits : )

• Like 1

Wow, I love it, looks very well made! What size is the lower screen? Mine is kinda like that, I have a 40" LED on top and a 26" LCD on the bottom.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

• 1 year later...

Updated Ejection Seat

Been updating the ejection seat with it being completely made of aluminum

Still work in progress but coming along fast. Plan to get it powder coated once finished.

FullSizeRender_zpsaky1venp.jpg

IMG_0955_zpsbv5vece2.jpg

IMG_0954_zps83uhohid.jpg

Weighs quite a bit but it works brilliantly with the Buttkicker attached to a pole on the bottom of the seat.

The idea is to have the seat able to slide in and out on my simulator platform by way of pulling the ejection handle.

• Like 1

Wow! Great Job! That seat is a work of art!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Holy shyte man. That amount of aluminum must have cost a fortune. I love it but I could never afford (read:wife would never allow) to do that.:smilewink:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

A bit more work this week. Fabricating the belt tensioners etc.

IMG_1025_zpsbr3tn5zu.jpg

IMG_1029_zpsp1trdiii.jpg

IMG_1030_zpsdubfkvhb.jpg

IMG_1031_zps7btdfhu4.jpg

IMG_1040_zpset5bkjuq.jpg

IMG_1039_zpspgi0stoe.jpg

IMG_1036_zpsb77gppbs.jpg

Edited by X93355

I'm not sure if any one has told you...the ejection seat isn't suppose to REALLY WORK. :music_whistling:

I does look extremely well made... most impressive.

I guess some kind of large hatch in your roof would be next. You don't want to keep repairing the ceiling every time you eject.:lol:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

I'm not sure if any one has told you...the ejection seat isn't suppose to REALLY WORK. :music_whistling:

I does look extremely well made... most impressive.

I guess some kind of large hatch in your roof would be next. You don't want to keep repairing the ceiling every time you eject.:lol:

Thanks Warhog. Got some plans in mind for the ejection handle operation : )

The seat is starting to weigh a bit. Hopefully have it all done in time for DCS2 release.

Looking to make a front panel and the side panels from Ali as well. Such a great product to work with. Should look good powder coated. Haven't decided if to go with a matt black or gun metal grey.

X93355, you really have a gift when it comes to metal working and art. Your coffee table is a wonderful example of that talent. It appears you also work in the boating industry...making boats or repairing? It looks like you have lots of room to play.

When you start to make panels for your cockpit you may want to pay particular attention to how they will be back-lit especially if you plan to use aluminium. I might suggest a combination of materials using aluminum as your back plate, clear acrylic for the middle and a laminate engraving plastic (black front, white back) as your faceplate. I have used acrylic for both back and mid plates to ensure the best possible transmission of lighting from behind the panel. I'm sure when you do some research in the forum you will find a variety of techniques that may appeal to you. It really just depends on what you expect from your final product.

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of your build as it takes shape.:thumbup:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

Excellent work, impressive the quality to detail on both the ejection Seat and that table! :thumbup:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Not the greatest picture. Have picked up a MB10 seat harness on ebay. Still a lot of work to do but sitting in this thing all strapped in is real cool, starting to feel authentic.

WP_20150521_014_zpsxslfhaf6.jpg

Going to make the side consoles out of Ali as well plus thinking about having the Crosswinds painted a different colour i.e. match the seat once it is powder coated.

A front panel still to be designed, but something modular so I can switch between aircraft panels nice and easily.

Lounge%20Sim%203_zpsumtjhcgs.jpg

Edited by X93355

That seat is gold! I am scared to ask if you were to make one to sell it and ship to Australia, roughly how much it would be?

Thanks Kuky, I'll let you know once it's finished as it needs some work on the head knockers, rivets, oxy bottle and ejection handle. Plan is to have the ejection handle as the locking mechanism for the seat to slide in and out on rails.

Some more work on it next week that will make a nice difference : ) and then it's off to the powder coaters.

Once the design is done though, I'd be happy to provide pricing for the basic seat in kit set form. Then all you need is a local welder. I have a good supplier of aluminum so you might be surprised. Still quite a bit more than MDF that's for sure but the seat feels amazing and the Butt-kicker is attached to a pole on the underside and the whole seat just rocks, you really feel it.

I even picked up a French Mirage pilots maewest that adds to the immersion.

Hopefully have most of it done in time for DCS World 2.