Two Questions

Is this a 2D vs 3D cockpit issue? I don't notice any difference in the Russian 3D (Su-27) cockpit. Some of the Russian planes have 2D cockpits of course.

There's an F-117 in DCS? cool! I haven't ever seen one

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

MiG-29S you can't turn the camera fully around like in the F-15C.

I also have questions as to why friendly radars appear on the inner circle of the F-15 RWR and why radar coverage stops at 60,000ft on the VSD?

MiG FoV is limited because it has an old cockpit. Only new cockpits (F-15, Su-27) can look all around.

The RWR can't differentiate friend from foe.

To use AIM-9, you can't be in gun mode if I recall. You need to deselect the gun and go back to missiles.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

MiG FoV is limited because it has an old cockpit. Only new cockpits (F-15, Su-27) can look all around.

The RWR can't differentiate friend from foe.

To use AIM-9, you can't be in gun mode if I recall. You need to deselect the gun and go back to missiles.

Damn. I guess the people who thought of that setup need a lesson in human factors. Let's have the gun hot in BVR mode, but forget trying to slave AIM-9s in GDS.:doh:

Damn. I guess the people who thought of that setup need a lesson in human factors. Let's have the gun hot in BVR mode, but forget trying to slave AIM-9s in GDS.:doh:

I assume what they have in FC3 is more or less how the real aircraft are.

The real aircraft all have HOTAS controls that make all these operations much more ergonomic.

If you want to switch from gun to AIM-9 all you have to do is hit the "Cage" mode button or key and it automatically switches you to that mode and brings up a Sidewinder.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I assume what they have in FC3 is more or less how the real aircraft are.

I assumed that to be the case given DCS levels of fidelity.

The real aircraft all have HOTAS controls that make all these operations much more ergonomic.

If you want to switch from gun to AIM-9 all you have to do is hit the "Cage" mode button or key and it automatically switches you to that mode and brings up a Sidewinder.

All you have to do is click the cannon mode activate button again but even without that extra click, sometimes the time delay between a lock, pressing fire and the missile coming off the rails and beginning to guide is already too long. The extra click just makes things worse still.

In the real plane the sidewinder seeker is slaved to radar. You might want to judge a plane from a manual instead of a simulator ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Isn't the gun already "hot" in the missle modes? Even though you don't have the gun reticle on your HUD, you can still fire the cannon. In the U.S. planes at least.

The FC planes have their heritage in Lock On and Flanker products. In the Flanker series you had to switch to cannon to fire it, the joystick trigger fired both cannon and missiles. Lock On introduced western aircraft, but at the time a single keyboard profile controlled all the aircraft.

The original Flaming Cliffs added western centric commands such as the pickle button and guns trigger.

I believe not until DCS World intergration of FC3 did we get individual command profiles for each aircraft.

So this is a really long winded explanation that the cannon toggle is a legacy holdover from the Flanker days.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11