Is Headtracking for me?

Hi all,

Recently I tried to use HeadTrackNoIR for a test see how well i can work with head trackers. And I found out, not very well at all. Even after I tweak the curves, I still need to hold my head at rediculous angles to reach a certain viewpoint, and that it's not still by any means, which makes clicking on cockpit buttons very challenging.

So my question is, is it just that I don't know how to use head tracking? Is it HeadTrackNoIR's fault and if I use TrackIR, thing's will be a lot more stable? Or head tracking just doesn't work for me?

Thanks,

Brendan

There is a lot of tuning involved in the non commercial headtracking solutions. Maybe you should try to get a profile from an experienced user and try that out, then decide if that works for you.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Obviously, TrackIR is the most stable headtrack solution. I use Free Track that is more stable than NoIR.

I tried NoIR. After many settings and adjusts, I can't find the performance of Free Track. So, I've come back to FreeTrack again.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I've just gotten myself four IR LEDs, will try to get a Free-Track up and running to see its effects. But some people talks about that it makes you dizzy, so far with a very twitchy NoIR, I'm fine, only that it strains my head trying to put it into certain viewpoints, and it defeats the purpose of convenience.

• 3 months later...

FaceTrackNoIR using Point Tracker Input and Accela Smoothing is very steady and responsive. In my case, much more so than Freetrack.

The only drawback is it doesn't support relative translation......YET. Even without it though I couldn't go back to Freetrack.

Try downloading openTrack. Its new software from one of FacetrackNoIr devs. It includes all FTNoIr had plus few great features :)

Also use Accela filtering with around 50 smoothing. I used HT 1.0 for NoIr headtracking for a bit it works nice but it puts more stress on the CPU.

Most of the people here use IR clips, selfbuilt or bought TrackClip Pro from Ebay

I never tried any free alternatives and went directly for TrackIR.

Today, I couldn't fly without it. It's always funny how I try to move my view when playing at my friends place, who doesn't have TrackIR...

I found TrackIR to be as important to me as my TM Warthog.

If you can get one of the cheaper alternatives running well for you, it's probably of the same value as the pricy TrackIR.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Head tracking takes a bit of getting use to. I still remember the first few times that I put on my self-made freetrack clip. My field of view was jinking so violently that I couldn't see anything. After a few rounds, however, head tracking becomes an indispensable leisure to use.

I started out with FaceTrackNOIR which is okay for a start but not as smooth as FreeTrack which I now use.

I made a simple "silly" hat (as I like to call it) out of an old fishing cap with yellow LEDS for the tracking points. One either side of the peak and one on the top of the hat on an adjustable flexible bit of cable (almost looks like an antenna on my head LOL)

Admitedely the software takes a bit of tweaking and setting up but I wouldn't be without some kind of tracking now I've tried it and gotten used to it. It makes things so much easier IMO.

It took me a good couple of days to tweak the settings and curves to how I liked them and even now I still have to make the odd adjustment before take off but it's usable and reliable once it's set up prior to flying.

It cost me a grand total of about £1.00 to build a LED hat and about a further 2 - 5 pence for the red transparent sweety wrapper I have over my Web Cam lens which is held in place with laggy bands to act as a filter.

Every homemade setup will be different so it's all about trial and error and not adjusting too many settings at once. You'll spend a good few hours alt tabbing in and out of game for a start but it's well worth the effort IMO.

Edited to add:-

The only downside to my setup (well, it's not a downside for me but it might be for others if they try it) is that it doesn't handle the Z or Y axis movements very well. I.e. leaning in to the cockpit or lifting yourself up to look over the cockpit but all other axis movements work just fine. I tend to just stick with looking round and up and down which does me. I guess I could modify or tweak my settings or build to work with Y and Z but it doesn't bother me not having those degrees of movement.

Edited by Tumbleweed

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly:

Even TrackIR takes getting used to and thats the best "out of the box" solution out there (only solution). The other methods take; as mentioned, a lot of adjustment to get right and feel comfortable. While TrackIR is a plug and play product with minimal adjustment needed (even though it usually stills needs to be fine tuned).