Naval Operations Wish List

Wags

Yes you are correct, I ment to write carriers, late night brainfart.

Ok :)

Yes I read the whole thing, what is your point? Did I claim that there is a mention that prohobitis aircraft carriers specificly?

No not specifically, but the bit you quoted did say;

"In the case of non-Black Sea powers, these terms make it impossible for transit any modern ships carrying aircraft through the straits without violating the terms of the convention."

I was just noting that there is no reference to the "carriage of aircraft" or the specific term of "aircraft carrier"" in the treaty - only to displacement which the above bit didn't mention.

Anyway, this was not really in response to what you wrote, but rather to some general die-hard misconceptions about the treaty vs. aircraft carriers - e.g. that the Soviet Union should have re-labelled their carriers as "aircraft carrying cruisers" in order to bypass the treaty restrictions....which is nonsense for several reasons:

a). because there is no restriction pertaining to the specific term of "aircraft carrier"(so nothing gained by calling them something else).

b). because even if there was, it would not apply to the Soviet Union anyway since it was a Black Sea power and therefore exempt from the restrictions.

c). because practically all Soviet warship classifications are different from "Western" ones - Soviet "aircraft carrying cruisers" were named as such due to the way they were designed/equipped and meant to operate.

What prohibits non-Black Sea Aircraft Carriers is their weight.

Yes, but as mentioned before, AFAIK the US never officially recognised/signed the treaty, so the question is whether the restrictions would be observed if national interests/tactical considerations were to dictate otherwise.....not that I can imagine such a situation though :)

JJ

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found an interesting article. According to this treaty it's not very realistic to have US Ships in the Black Sea :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreux_Convention_Regarding_the_Regime_of_the_Turkish_Straits

"In the case of non-Black Sea powers, these terms make it impossible for transit any modern ships carrying aircraft through the straits without violating the terms of the convention."

you know that the premise of DCS is that the US and Russia are at war, the war would be fought anywhere and everywhere.

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

you know that the premise of DCS is that the US and Russia are at war, the war would be fought anywhere and everywhere.

Well, in case of a real conflict in the Black Sea region I'm pretty sure US Aircraft would operate from Carriers in the Mediterranean and from Turkish land bases.

Would be crazy to trap yourself in a large pond with one tiny exit together with a whole fleet of Russian Warships, when you don't have to.

EDIT: At least the Mediterranean has two tiny exits ;)

Edited by Netsk

Someone might remember me as 'FlyingRussian' from the Ubisoft Lock-On forum back in '03

A change that i would like to see for the Naval forces, is that they actually move at the speeds that they can, like 30 Knots instead of 11 kilometers per hour.

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

I wonder if the game should reflect that the Chinese Military has a Aircraft carrier as a AI selectable in the DCS world editor and encyclopedia.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

Theres some really good stuff happening at FSX that would be cool for DCS Carrierops in particular vLSO. vLSO has an AI tanker that flys a realistic pattern above the carrier and also there is the carrier qualifications.:thumbup:

Undergraduate CQ

Pilot’s first day carrier qualifications prior to designation as a Naval Aviator.

14 day landings, 10 of which shall be arrested.

Initial CQ

Pilot’s first day or day/night carrier qualification as a designated Naval Aviator.

10 day arrested landings and 6 night arrested landings.

Requalification CQ

Pilot’s day/night currency exceeds 365 days but less than four years.

6 day arrested landings and 4 night arrested landings.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,4915.840.html

DCS F/A-18C and other addons could benefit a lot from such an addon.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

With upcoming F/A-18, I would like to see some changes regarding aircraft carriers:

1. Visual gimmicks. That means new ship models (steam effect would be nice for US ships), maybe crew and parked airplanes (non-AI, just models)... wouldn't mind seeing additional crew with shooter appearing upon entering cat position (just like in FSX)

2. "Inteligent ships" that will turn the deck into the wind autonomously during recovery, so we can design missions with dynamic weather without worrying about crosswind approaches when wind changes over the time.

3. Proper AI patterns. No circling 3nm behind the ship, waiting for a slot, like AI likes to do around airports. You've been waved off... climb and make a full pattern.

4. Request tanker feature (S-3 or F-18 with buddy tank)

5. Landing signal officer calls. "You're little high, don't settle, power power, bolter bolter bolter!" - aw yeah! Dunno how russians handling this though...

6. Greenie board maybe? Like this one (vLSO for FSX) ...but maybe I'm asking too much with that.

Russian Signal officer: "You are instructed to land - do so!"

:smartass:

physics like this would be nice

Well we have that kind of physics? Just remember to add some sea level wind in the ME if you want the ships to rock. In the video there also is no wake effect, while DCS has pretty good one.

Someone might remember me as 'FlyingRussian' from the Ubisoft Lock-On forum back in '03

• 3 weeks later...

They have args connected to them as they can be animated in the ModelVeiwer...

Arg #150 for the Perry

Arg #312 for the Ticonderoga

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45