Just started flying

mr_mojo97

Well I bought this module a couple of weeks ago in the sale although I have been flying the hog for ages (of which I'm a massive fan). To be honest I'm not even really that interested in helos and I've not read the manual but I know the basic principles of helo flight (used to fly rc helis).

Anyways last night I tried a standard training mission shooting stuff on the runways - and WOW - it has a very impressively immersive feeling, the shudder of the cockpit, flight dynamics, the level of detail is incredible. I really did have the biggest grin. Still can't land properly without losing skids and having a few dents and scratches. Just wish I could get a TFS3!!.

One thing though I did find (I use an extended Warthog stick), when I'm first taking off, I'm pulling the joystick so far over to the left to keep steady until the engine seems to steady out - is this normal? I'm using someone else's profile for it so maybe it needs corrected in an axis.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

• ED Team

Save a track after you try it again, and attach it here, one of us will take a look at it.

Glad you are enjoying it, she is a great bird :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

One trick I use, is trimming the aircraft before takeoff to minimize the left control. I use the trimmer constantly during all flight conditions. The trick to landing is to preempt the landing by a fair distance and try to hold the AoA to less than 500 fpm and closer to the ground less than 300 fpm. A good practice situation is to fly the campaign which forces you to land on a pad upon returning to base. I have gotten rather proficient at landing now and no longer worry about how I will end up on the ground.. Now it's just trying to avoid the AAA fire before it finds your craft. Small arms aren't a real issue except for yesterday when I dropped some troops in a hot LZ opened my left gunners door and before getting an aim on the ground troops, he got smoked :lol: which prevented me from closing the door all the way home and made for a noisy ride..

:thumbup:

Good Luck and just give it some time, you will get better with practice!

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900K * MSI RTX 4070 * Oculus Rift S * Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 X64 Home * 64 Gb Ram * TM Warthog Combo & Saitek Pro-Rudders :joystick:

Welcome to the flingwing madhouse :)

Check out this video, it will help with the force trim setup you need.

For take off to counter act torque from the rotor you need back left stick and some left pedal, the extension to your Hotas is amplifying this, so you can easily set it up, then recenter the stick before you attempt take-off, you will need to retrim for flight though, and with the Huey as mentioned above, I also constantly retrim.

Edited by Vlerkies

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

You need to watch the pickup vid. It's 3 mins long, but will get you on proper track.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Ok thanks, I'll take a look once Murray beats Janowicz to get into Wimbledon final!

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |