Flying without TrackIR help me setup my mouse for freelook/zoom!

VanjaB

As the title says, I would like to setup my mouse so I can use it with my left hand instead of the POV switch on my joystick. Preferably I would also like to assign zoom to my mousewheel.

Unlike many here I dont own a Warthog HOTAS and TrackIR even though I would like to at some point...

My question is, is this possible? Ive tried fiddling in the controls but right now my mouse is setup to something called camera horizontal, (x-axis) camera vertical (y-axis) and as far as I can see this only works in certain external views.

you should put ALT+C on an mouse button. I have it mapped on a extra button that i can use with my thumb.

I tried freetrack, but i changed back to mouse look...... works perfectly for me...

How do you use a mouse pointer when you really need it on a dog fight. Both hands are on stick and throttle then?

I used it for years in IL-2, most of that dogfights. Here the throttle is on the mouse wheel.

At the A-10 usually you don't do too much with th throttle! It's full-opened most of the time.

So I have the zoom on the mouse wheel, that's very handy. I also can view at the cockpit switches without putting my head in an wrong angle.

It takes about 0.1seconds to adjust the throttle. Maybe it helps that I am a left-hander, with the stick in my right hand. Means my primary-mouse-hand operates the view control.

It's completely natural for me now.

In the shark the head-tracking was not accurate enough for the HMS.

I have to say that for helicopter landings it was nice to not take hands of the mouse for collective-changes.

The only option for me is oculus-rift.

Just give the mouse a try, it's free and works...

I used it for years in IL-2, most of that dogfights. Here the throttle is on the mouse wheel.

At the A-10 usually you don't do too much with th throttle! It's full-opened most of the time.

So I have the zoom on the mouse wheel, that's very handy. I also can view at the cockpit switches without putting my head in an wrong angle.

It takes about 0.1seconds to adjust the throttle. Maybe it helps that I am a left-hander, with the stick in my right hand. Means my primary-mouse-hand operates the view control.

It's completely natural for me now.

In the shark the head-tracking was not accurate enough for the HMS.

I have to say that for helicopter landings it was nice to not take hands of the mouse for collective-changes.

The only option for me is oculus-rift.

Just give the mouse a try, it's free and works...

thanks for the review. your right the A10c doesn't need a lot of throttle so the mouse could easy sit in the left hand and with a bit of practice would become second nature.

I tried it and works bloody good! Also if in the heat of the moment if you need throttle then the hat switch on the stick can take over as its still active even when the mouse is enabled

This is my solution because I cant run track Ir with my projector screen.

Ok, thanks for all your help. Works great, but removing the hand from the throttle is rather awkward, especially in the P51.

Ive tried rebining the mousewheel to act as a throttle but there is a rather large problem. It appears that Im unable to bind the mouswheel to anything in the game. Which is a rather strange...Oh well I guess Ill have to rebind the two mouse keys...

• 3 weeks later...

I use the WASD keys to look around, which means that, like you, I have to take my hand off of the camera in order to work the throttle. I recommend having the camera also bound to your joystick hat switch, so that you can clumsily bump it around with the hat while you're working the throttle. It isn't going to be nearly as precise or natural as using the mouse (I don't recommend normally using the hat switch on the joystick to control camera; it's too much work for the right hand, which should be focusing on pitch & roll), but it's better than no control at all during those moments when you have to have your hand off of the mouse and on the throttle instead.

As the title says, I would like to setup my mouse so I can use it with my left hand instead of the POV switch on my joystick. Preferably I would also like to assign zoom to my mousewheel.

Unlike many here I dont own a Warthog HOTAS and TrackIR even though I would like to at some point...

My question is, is this possible? Ive tried fiddling in the controls but right now my mouse is setup to something called camera horizontal, (x-axis) camera vertical (y-axis) and as far as I can see this only works in certain external views.

You might also look at FaceTrackNoIR if you have a webcam that works with it. I used that for a bit and while it wasn't quite free for me (I needed to buy a webcam and a light - it needs good lighting to work) it only cost me some time and about $30 US. After about a month I bought TrackIR because I had the money and I wear glasses, which FaceTrack at the time didn't track very well. They were attempting to create a version that could track faces with glasses at the time and I attempted to help test that but the person doing it, while very smart and helpful at times, seemed to assume I knew as much as he did about the program and it became a headache.

Now I'm rambling. My point is to say that there is an option out there if you wanted to try some head tracking without spending the large amount on TrackIR. I can help you a little bit if you want to try it out and need some help setting it up. I'm no expert on it but just PM me if you do try it and have questions.

Either way, good luck and happy flying!

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found this in another website, claims to activate click and view. im not near my sim so maybe some one can test it

option is always available in the

Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cock*pit\clickable_common .lua

just set

use_click_and_pan_mode = true

I've been using this for a while now and it does work. Only thing to be aware of is it results in three mouse states, no pan but click, pan and click, and pan only, whereas normally there's only the first and last so it might take a bit of getting used to.

Most of the time it's quite hard to use anyway, as you often need to zoom in on controls and then the cursor isn't in the right position to click on them, so I'm not sure it's actually that useful!

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

You might also look at FaceTrackNoIR if you have a webcam that works with it. I used that for a bit and while it wasn't quite free for me (I needed to buy a webcam and a light - it needs good lighting to work) it only cost me some time and about $30 US.

Now I'm rambling. My point is to say that there is an option out there if you wanted to try some head tracking without spending the large amount on TrackIR. I can help you a little bit if you want to try it out and need some help setting it up. I'm no expert on it but just PM me if you do try it and have questions.

Either way, good luck and happy flying!

FaceTrackNoIR also supports LED tracking now, which is pretty cheap and easy to assemble yourself and is likely to be a lot more reliable than facetrackiing. Not that I'm having much luck with my headset/cap arrangement but plenty of other people are using it happily, so I'm obviously doing something wrong!

EDIT: Turned out it didn't like my PS3 Eye being zoomed in! It's working fairly well now but still needs some tweaking.

Edited by doveman

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

FaceTrackNoIR also supports LED tracking now, which is pretty cheap and easy to assemble yourself and is likely to be a lot more reliable than facetrackiing. Not that I'm having much luck with my headset/cap arrangement but plenty of other people are using it happily, so I'm obviously doing something wrong!

This is true and you can buy a Track Clip Pro from Track IR by itself for around $35 US if you don't want to assemble the LED lighting yourself. At least I think you can. Free Track users seem to have good luck with the Track Clip Pro. It would help it be more reliable.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]