Enemy choppers - lock on range

So what's up with the AI ?

Is it just me or is the game terribly unfair about giving enemies an unfair range advantage to lock on to me?

Typically an enemy Ka-50 is locking me from 8km or further! (lets not even talk about Mi-28s, lets talk apples to apples).

An enemy shark should have NO advantage over me. So why can't I lock on to them above 6km? Sometimes I can Lock them but not get fire solution/clearance until 4km!! So they're essentially able to engage me from twice the range!?!?!

Now a question of strategy... I notice that I can usually evade their first few Vikhrs, but they switch to cannons and are extremely effective with those guns! How do you guys engage enemy choppers? Cannon the best option? Or missiles? :cry:

edit: oh, and does the A/A HO actually do anything? (I assume it's A/A Head On?)

The shkval's locking ability is heavily dependent on the lighting conditions. During dusk, night and dawn, your locking range is heavily reduced.

But yes, AI helicopters are godlike. Us poor humans are too limited having just two eyes, ears and arms. AI can see everything, hear everything and do everything at the same time.

Plus, I've had one hunt me down from 8km once. With less than 4km visibility due to fog...

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

starting at your last question and working back..

....Yes A/A HO means Air to Air Head On....this is different then just Air to Air because when an enemy aircraft is flying at you head on this option tells the missile to exploded before it hits the target so the shrapnel will hit the aircraft....instead of exploding on impact....in a head on situation this is better because the missile and the aircraft close at such a high speed

.....IMO.....the Vikhrs is the best option for enemy aircraft...getting in close and using guns puts you in a lot of danger

....The enemy AI spots you at long range before you can spot and lock them....I consider this a flaw in the AI system, but without more trial and error I wont complain too much....the fact is that the AI seem to always be perfect in the things it does while you must deal with "Task Overload".....I believe setting the AI skill level down a couple notches will help with this, but make no mistake, if an AI with the Expert or Excellent rating spawns in game...he will know you are there at like 12k and fire on you at the longest ranges possible....they have no problem spotting and locking you, where as you must fly, spot, track, lock, and fire to hit him....

Long story short...I wont say the AI is terribly unfair....but yes...they are "terribly good" in helo vs helo engagements and with all the switchology we must do, we are not.....

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

You should be able to lock onto them at 8 Km, are you setting the tracking box to the size of the helicopter?

It is very unusual not to be able to fire until 4Km, I think automatic mode allows missile launch from 7.2 - 7.5km (?)

Is the locked target in the round Vikhr window on the Hud?

If you have a height advantage (preferably on top of a nice big mountain) you can use your Vikhrs at a longer range (9Km+) but you have to switch to manual release mode (but not so good against tanks).

I prefer to use guns on helicopters as they use up a lot of my missiles especially when the attack helicopters are in pairs. also when in pairs you can engage one helicopter with 2 Vikhr whilst the other helicopter engages you... not good.

If I spot an attack helicopter (s), first I make sure I am low (if you are high in the sky they will spot you).

Attempt to optically track them (without laser as this tends to alert them to your position). If they do not appear to have spotted me I try to close distance from behind and engage (missile & guns).

If they spot me first and engage... I run. I run real hard and put as much stuff in between them and me.

Then I double back to try and re-aquire them and use the above tactic.

This seems to work for me.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

"Visual detection of a target for AI units will now also be a function of time. The time of detection depends on target distance, aspect angle, and the presence of already detected targets nearby." - from the planned changes for 1.2.5

I'm really hoping this will help.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

....The enemy AI spots you at long range before you can spot and lock them....I consider this a flaw in the AI system, but without more trial and error I wont complain too much....the fact is that the AI seem to always be perfect in the things it does while you must deal with "Task Overload".....I believe setting the AI skill level down a couple notches will help with this, but make no mistake, if an AI with the Expert or Excellent rating spawns in game...he will know you are there at like 12k and fire on you at the longest ranges possible....they have no problem spotting and locking you, where as you must fly, spot, track, lock, and fire to hit him....

Long story short...I wont say the AI is terribly unfair....but yes...they are "terribly good" in helo vs helo engagements and with all the switchology we must do, we are not.....

Nope, it's been said before the only thing the "good/average/excellent" AI options does, is increase/decrease the time it takes for a unit to see you, and the range. And its very little difference at that. The engagement itself, accuracy, all that is cookie-cutter same

"Visual detection of a target for AI units will now also be a function of time. The time of detection depends on target distance, aspect angle, and the presence of already detected targets nearby." - from the planned changes for 1.2.5

I'm really hoping this will help.

yes. Was going to mention this, can't wait for some human factors modeling!