Unable to enter vehicle, unit is dead

I have created a SP mission where my A-10 Player pilot ejects. On eject, a UH-1 is activated and flys to the ejected pilot's location and lands. I can walk the downed pilot to the UH-1. My objective is to jump into the huey and take over as pilot (alt J). I have been able to do this on a couple of trail runs, but on others I get a "Unable to enter vehicle, unit is dead" message. My pilot is obviously still alive, and in some trails where message occurs, his abandon A-10 is still in the air and has not crashed yet. The huey is on the ground and running, so it is not dead. Does anyone know why the message appears? Again, there have been some test flights where I have been able to take control of the huey, while other times (and more frequently) I get the message.

maybe they are dead drunk? Just kidding... I didn't encounter the problem but I couldn't say I tried to hijack many air units. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least