HOTAS Cougar w/Uber2NXT Mods - What Win7 Software to Use?

Hi everyone,

I'm getting back into flight simulations in a serious way, but need a new computer to actually do anything with it. While I get that part sorted out, I was wondering about my HOTAS Cougar that I intend to use. My Cougar is heavily modified, with the Uber2NXT gimbals, CubPilot's hall sensor modifications, IJ's speed brake and dogfight switch housings, the screw handle mods, and IJ's Uber Throttle Modifications. I've also got a set of Simped F-16+ pedals I plan to use as well.

Of course, I'd like to continue to use this hardware which should still be in working order! That said, I am planning to use Windows 7 64-Bit as my operating system, and would like to know what software I need to install to use the Cougar. Is the new TARGET system enough, or do I still need to use the old Vista drivers? That seems the root of the question so far - would appreciate any suggestions!

I am sure I will have more hardware questions to come - thanks for any information you can provide!

Welcome back, Waverider.

Sounds like you have my HOTAS as well, though the big question is whether the Simped pedals are gameport or USB. Also, do you have the Cougar MFDs?

If you have the gameport pedals and no MFDs, you're fine sticking with Foxy and the Vista drivers (just make sure you install them in Vista Compatibility mode). Even if you want to go to TARGET (like I'm doing right now), you will still need the CCP to select your axes (e.g. toe brakes vs. microstick). Unfortunately, there's no way to select 8 of 10 of your axes in TARGET without going through CCP, and what you chose in CCP is what TARGET sees.

If you have USB pedals, then you can assign all of your Cougar axes in TARGET, and the increased power is great. Likewise, TARGET is software based (it uses a virtual controller) and doesn't write to the Cougar firmware (which is also one of the reasons I'm migrating). The downside of TARGET is that it is not nearly as well documented as Foxy, and with a few exceptions (namely this forum) there isn't a lot out there for help with TARGET. However, the ability to change profiles from within a profile is great when it comes to something like DCS, which is why I'm making the jump despite my mastery of Foxy.

Bottom line: you will want to install the Vista drivers anyway, and installing TARGET doesn't prevent you from using Foxy, so you might as well have both on your system.

Hi Home Fries,

Thanks very much for the details on this. I have the Simped F-16+ game port pedals, so it looks like I'll install both the Vista drivers and the TARGET package. I don't have the Cougar MFDs, but am seriously looking at them, as they look quite cool. I'm really interested in external monitors for them, so am snooping that out as well.

Thanks very much!

I used my U2NXT /Hal modded Cougar with Win 7 64bit no probs.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro