Missing LOD files?

Brownie21

I've been messing around with settings in-game, testing performance and all that. I noticed however that when I created a quick mission as the US, the mission editor would give me a few F/A-18's for air support. The problem was that whenever I tried to look at them, my FPS would plummet (from ~60 to <20), even though I was over 18km away. It was very specifically the squadron of F/A 18s that did it. I slewed the camera from every direction and as soon as the F/A's came into view my FPS would drop.

Using the F2 key, I cycled through friendly aircraft until I was externally viewing a member of the F/A squadron. When only one was in view, my FPS would drop by about 5-10, on account of the new incredibly detailed mesh. But again, each successive F/A in view would drop my FPS by the same amount until it eventually stabilized around 15-20FPS (same as from 18km out).

It seems clear to me that there must be missing LOD data for the F/A 18. In fact, I'm beginning to suspect that all my FPS drops are likely due to missing or poor implementation of LOD for different ground and air vehicles. Even from over 18km away, I was getting the same FPS drops for the F/A 18 meshes as I was when right beside them.

This seems like it would be relatively simple to fix. At 18km the planes are literally invisible on a 24-inch display with 1920x1080 resolution but they are still rendering and still dragging down the FPS in spite of that.

With the new models that have been introduced in FC3 over the course of the last 10 patches, it might be worth taking a look at the LOD data for all your models.

If this has been reported, my apologies!

EDIT: It's probably a good idea to leave my specs here:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Intel i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz

8GB RAM

XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB

Edited by Brownie21