My dilemma......

I took a very different approach from the above recommendations. This is a bit more of a long term track but if you want to get good it will take some time.....

I approached this like RW flying and have used this technique with my friends coming over from GA flying experience either RW or simulated

Jet Transition training ..SU25 if you dont own FC3 SU25t

I started here as the SU-25 has AFM and not alot of systems to learn. It also doesnt have a hud or autopilot so you have to learn what all the instruments do and how to navigate.

The 25 is a bit of a hog to fly and it will teach you to stay ahead of the plane.

I started with basic flight maneuvers TO/Landing/Pattern/X-C/Unusual Attitudes, and of course emergency procedures (e.g. single engine ops). once you are comfortable flying the 25 from point a to b and keep it nice and trimmed...move on to IFR

IFR Work

Since the 25 has no AP or fancy nav equipment this will teach you how to fly precisely. Once you are comfortable doing instrument departures,navigation, and landings (not just ILS but circling and such) you can pretty much handle any fixed wing jet aircraft in DCS.

Basic A2G weapons su25 or 25t

once again the 25 is a great learning platform for this as it doesnt have a bunch of systems to learn and you will be more focused on flying. It doesnt have SAS or anything else to "help" it along so its all about airmanship.

All the basics like HA/LA strafing,HA/LA rocket employment,HADB, TOSS, and such all have the same principles as more advanced aircraft but once again you have no helpers.

Once you are comfortable with all the above the a2g world is your oyster,you can go to the 10.

A-10 Transition/Contact

after learning all the basics on the 25 now you get to move into the A-10 and learn all its systems. Since you already know how to fly you can focus all your mental attention to systems management and stuff. After flying the 25 the 10 is a dream to fly.

Here what i would do is start with looking at the checklists and understand not just what you do things but why you do them.

Repeat all the same tasks that you did in the jet transition training and when you are comfortable with them you are ready to learn all more advanced stuff like PGM,etc

A-10 weapons employment .. here is where the fun begins

Now you start to use the A-10s systems for employment of weapons and start to get exposed to the TGP and A-10 specific systems for employment of weapons.

Thank you for the detailed response. I shall give it due consideration when I have settled down a bit. In the meantime the Huey bug has bitten quite hard. Due, primarily, to the engaging flight model. Managed to fly a combat mission today with some success and I am totally enraptured. Despite some technical issues with it (no auto-pilot for me) it really is something quite special.

I have, over the past few days, tried to get to grips a little with the Warty, but haven't really felt the love. I fully appreciate the authenticity, and incredible degree of fidelity and complexity. But, when push comes to shove, the flight model just seems to be a little sterile for my taste. This isn't a criticism of the sim, just a reflection on what a stable aircraft the A-10C is. The Huey, in complete contrast, is just a ragged bag of nerves that constantly wrestles and tests the pilot. And it's this that I love. And the added bonus of not having too many systems to learn to be able to realise its potential.

I appreciate everyone's input , and never thought I would come to favour a helicopter over a fixed wing, so I am more surprised than anyone. I just need to start doing some missions now :)

Well, the way I see it the P-51 and the Huey are extremely easy(the systems anyway). Both can be started within a minute, and armed even faster. The Huey flight model is certainly very challenging, however, and if you are a helicopter guy like me, I'd recommend learning to fly it, starting with in ground effect hovers, following flight plans, flying straight, turning, then out of ground effect hovering, etc(I say all this but I have not even taken the time to learn the huey's flight characteristics very well, as I am waiting for my pedals). If you get the feel for it, you will not only have a realistic feel of IRL helicopters(debatable, presuming you have pedals), you will be able control all of the aircraft far easier

The P-51 is also quite simple, like the Huey, you can have the startup and weapons employment memorized in 5 minutes(but the flight manual itself is 200 pages).

The Ka-50 is the module of my choice. I wouldn't call it difficult, but it takes a little bit of time to learn the systems, but on the other hand, the flight characteristics are much easier, so it is easier to bring it to a hover gracefully, fly with ease, etc, because the coaxial design allows for a more versatile, spry, powerful aircraft with less vibration.

Anything you want to know about the Ka-50, I would be happy to teach you, just PM me. Been using the Ka-50 mainly for the last 6 months.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]