Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

F15 TEWS questions

Hello guys,

Its been a long time since I last played Lock On. I am excited with the addition of FC3 and you shall see me up in the air very soon. I had some questions regarding the F15 TEWS and RADAR which I could not find anywhere. I have an understanding of the operational knowledge and have played the game before, but I had a few questions. I watched the training as well as Ironhand's videos.

1). In flying, is your radar on all the time ? How often do you use it ? Does having your radar on alert the enemy even if you are in his blind spot ?

Situation: Enemy is heading 90 and you are approaching heading 0. Obviously he does not see you in his radar.

If you leave your radar on, will he detect you using the TEWS? Do you play around with the radar ranges to determine his altitude and sneak up on him with your radar on or off ? Obviously, you would lock the target very late to avoid detection.

2) TEWS.. I realize that it is a passive system, and you can use ECM to jam and etc.. And you should use this when you are locked only and not just seeing a few spikes of detection.

How do you know when an enemy has locked you ?

Example:

Soft clicks on the TEWS.. Do they mean that the enemy has you on his radar or is it the TEWS picking up radar signals (without the enemy seeing you yet.) Meaning, will the TEWS catch the enemy signal before the enemy radar catches you ?

Basically, is the TEWS more sensitive than the enemy radar ?

Also, when to use the ECM? Is loud beep a sign of a new detection in the TEWS ?

Minute 2:38 in the video. The pinging hard - Does it mean a lock ? If its beeping rapidly vs beeping every 5 seconds like in the beginning of the video, what are the differences?

I want to go back into flying multiplayer but I have forgot all of these. I want to use the systems as efficient as possible and avoid detection for unnecessary reasons.

Thank you in advance!

1). In flying, is your radar on all the time ? How often do you use it ? Does having your radar on alert the enemy even if you are in his blind spot ?

That's not a simple question to answer. Until you understand how to intercept aircraft well, just keep your radar on. Trying to be sneaky when you don't know why you're doing it or what the plan for doing so is will cause you more trouble than necessary.

Situation: Enemy is heading 90 and you are approaching heading 0. Obviously he does not see you in his radar.

Really? I mean, if he's 45 deg to my west and in range, then we both see each other on radar. But I know what you mean ;)

If you leave your radar on, will he detect you using the TEWS? Do you play around with the radar ranges to determine his altitude and sneak up on him with your radar on or off ? Obviously, you would lock the target very late to avoid detection.

If he's inside the scan volume of your radar then yes, you will show up on his radar warning equipment as long as you are within detection parameters - this means being within a certain range as well as not being outside his RWR coverage zone (specifically, the RWR covers you all around, but not directly underneath or on top)

2) TEWS.. I realize that it is a passive system, and you can use ECM to jam and etc.. And you should use this when you are locked only and not just seeing a few spikes of detection.

How do you know when an enemy has locked you ?

You'll hear a fast chirping tone.

Basically, is the TEWS more sensitive than the enemy radar ?

A little. Generally, the RWR gear in this game will pick up a radar from much further away than the radar can pick up the emitting aircraft.

Also, when to use the ECM? Is loud beep a sign of a new detection in the TEWS ?

A lot of this stuff is in the manual, or should be. As far as when to use ECM ... right now, only use it to confuse your human enemies beyond 20nm, it doesn't have much effect on AI.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda