Weather in DCS World...

Anatoli-Kagari9

IMHO, and since I do not use DCS World for military / combat flight but rather to enjoy it's great flight dynamics, I believe that Weather and it's effects really need some attention from the devs team.

Wind effects and turbulence, even when set to their higher values, produce mild effects, far from what would be expected in RL for the same conditions.

I also noticed that either because this effects were tuned down or some FD effects simplified, what is described in this movie as the effects of strong winds on the blades of the KA-50

no longer takes place :-/

I have tested with both the KA-50 and the Uh-1H, at high winds and max turbulence, at various airfields, from sea level to the higher mountainous terrain, but never got the slightest hint of oscillation from a blade like in the movie above...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Yes... this effect was somehow disabled. I have no idea why. It was very cool.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

IMHO, and since I do not use DCS World for military / combat flight but rather to enjoy it's great flight dynamics, I believe that Weather and it's effects really need some attention from the devs team.

Wind effects and turbulence, even when set to their higher values, produce mild effects, far from what would be expected in RL for the same conditions.

I also noticed that either because this effects were tuned down or some FD effects simplified, what is described in this movie as the effects of strong winds on the blades of the KA-50

YOUTUBE

no longer takes place :-/

I have tested with both the KA-50 and the Uh-1H, at high winds and max turbulence, at various airfields, from sea level to the higher mountainous terrain, but never got the slightest hint of oscillation from a blade like in the movie above...

The fact that they don't move the blades doesn't mean the wind isn't there.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

A couple of years ago the turbulence used to be far too strong for reported weather conditions. That must have changed. I think for the better:

When I fly in RL, 90% of the experience of turbulence comes through the seat of the pants, which would be hard to simulate. Hitting a lump may give me the pilot quite a sensation, but the flight path or aircraft attitude is rarely changed by much.

Also I am not used to flying A10s and P51s and KA50s in real life. Lighter aircraft and gliders are obviously affected a lot more.

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

Well, I can only speak for myself who, practically left my other sims for DCS.

It's the most amazing flightsim I've ever tried flight-dynamics wise, and I do not use it for combat, so I do not even profit from 90% of what it offers...

Flight dynamics are astounding, graphics, even weather, although I'd rather have stronger effects and maybe an overall intensity slider for the user to choose....

Edited by jcomm

About the weather... Is it just me or the planes are too much affected by wind? I observed this for FC3 planes more than the choppers for example. I can take off with Huey and fly very well but If I take the F15C when leaving the ground turns badly in the wind and flies sideways like an ULM... even in supersonic the HUD is moved quite a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

In RL helicopters are less affected by wind variability and gustiness.

I set the turbulence at 60% and still find it to mild when taking off / landing the p51d. Other may find it to high... So, why not simply have an overall tuning slider to allow for the weather effects (wind shear and turbulence at least) to be adapted to one's own liking?

I've never really noticed turbulence in flight, but i guess its hard to represent without having a hydraulic force feedback chair type gizmo!

It's there, probably more in the form of wind shear, but only near sea level. Apparently it is referenced to the sea level, and if you operate from an higher aerodrome you will not have it.

At Batumi it is evident, specially at the higher levels...

I think weather is one of the worst things in DCS .. it's just not realistic ... even with extremely strong wind and turbulences, my plane just glides like on rails, the wind is very calculable ... it would be soooo nice seeing my jet battling against strong winds, air holes, got shaked by turbulences and it gets hard to take it in lane because of volatile wind blasts ...

Anyone who ever was in a aeroplane and encountered strong stormwinds knows how this feels... but nothing from it is simulated right here... Big wish :music_whistling:

air holes

There is no such thing as air holes. :)

That aside, have you ever bothered to set turbulence in any mission with wind? It certainly does get noticeable. What you are missing is that if you had tactile feedback, you certainly wouldn't be wanting any more of it. The feeling of g load shifting in and out is just not posible to replicate in a simulator.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

There is no such thing as air holes. :)

That aside, have you ever bothered to set turbulence in any mission with wind? It certainly does get noticeable. What you are missing is that if you had tactile feedback, you certainly wouldn't be wanting any more of it. The feeling of g load shifting in and out is just not posible to replicate in a simulator.

Ya i know the "air hole" is based on g-forces which are not really simulateable. But even with maximum turbulences, I've never felt my plane got shaked (like reaching the max speed) or suddendly gains or loses lift, e.g. by blasts in final approach. It's quite unspectular, this could really be conducted with some sound-features (howling engines, whistling wind,..) and give a little bit "feedback" to the joystick.

Even with maximum wind and turbulences, the only way you really feel it is when you're trying to land and it blows your plane (again, very calculable) from the runway...

Turbulence is more noticeable when you fly with the option of ''head shacking'' effect enabled.

At the moment, DCS simulates air like it comes from a fan. Always the same direction , always the same speed. If ED could implement a small variation of wind speed and direction over time together with some wind gust, that would be cool..

Of curse there is a dynamic weather option that I have not tried yet, and my statement above maybe wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War