DCS UH-1H QUESTIONS

IonicRipper

I thought since the Warthog and Mustang has a thread like this, why not for the Huey?

Ask here if you don't want to start a new topic for a simple question.

I'll start: Where can I find a list of ADF frequencies?

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've got a question that has plagued my existence long past the mast-bumping, lurching around barely maintaining control introductory days to the Huey:

What exactly is the descending vertical speed I should be looking for when trying to avoid VRS in a hover? So far I've only narrowed it down to "something slightly below 1000 feet per minute."

I thought since the Warthog and Mustang has a thread like this, why not for the Huey?

Ask here if you don't want to start a new topic for a simple question.

Look in the DCS Folder, under DOCS, there will be another folder with the charts. Look for NBDs( dotted circles )

Here is one that comes to mind.

What is the best way to do a vertical landing with the Huey? You know, pretty much landing while in a hover, is that even possible?

I've got a question that has plagued my existence long past the mast-bumping, lurching around barely maintaining control introductory days to the Huey:

What exactly is the descending vertical speed I should be looking for when trying to avoid VRS in a hover? So far I've only narrowed it down to "something slightly below 1000 feet per minute."

Both of you, landing vertically is not that hard if you keep some information on the tip of your brain( practice helps too ).

• When slowing from forward motion >30knts, remember that the helicopter will start to require more, and more collective as your approach <30knts - >20knts. This is because you are coming out of ETL. ETL( Effective Transitional Lift - or something like that ) is like wind over an airplanes wing, and requires less effort from the helicopter's rotor to maintain flight. When you exit this, you need to apply more collective, as the rotor's speed and pitch become the main source of lift.
  • When forward speed is <30knts try not to descend faster than 500fpm, unless maitaining forward speed
  • When flying <20knts and continuing to slow below 10-15knts, or going into hover, you need to descend less than 300fpm to avoid VRS( Vortex Ring State ).

VRS is just like wake-turbulence for an aircraft, but it is generated from your own rotorwash. The effects of this cause the main rotor to start to blow the wash up, not down. By maintaining less than 300fpm under 10knts, you allow the rotors to stay above the rotorwash. If you find that the helicopter starts to descend rapidly, ease off the collective and try to gain forward speed. Ramming the collective full force, will actually PUSH you towards the ground, and cause the engine to lose power - you can hear it bog down.

Hope that helps ...

Edited by Sven2157

Regards,

=170= Sven ☠ 2157

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel 7th Gen. i7-7700K | NZXT Kraken 41 Liquid CPU Cooler |  MSI Z270 M3 Gaming LGA 1151 | Cooler Master V1000 80+ Gold PSU | EVGA GTX 1070 | EVGA GTX 1060 (Dedicated Physx) | 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB PC4-19200 | 128GB Toshiba OCZ RD400 SSD NVMe M.2 (System Disk) | 2TB RAID 10 (4 x Seagate ST1000DX002 FireCuda SSHD) (Files Disk) |  64GB Intel Cache Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | 48GB Page Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | NZXT H440 Razer Edition Case | 1 x ViewSonic VG2439m-LED 24" [MAIN] (GTX 1070) | 2 x ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED 24" [LEFT/RIGHT] (GTX 1060)

When flying <20knts and continuing to slow below 10-15knts, or going into hover, you need to descend less than 300fpm to avoid VRS( Vertical Ring State ).

I was thinking more in terms of "exactly how fast can you descend in a hover before VRS sets in," but a 300 fpm rule of thumb is something I'll go with from now on. As far as I can tell, I think it starts at closer to 700-900 fpm, but I can't really tell because I'm usually too focused on just keeping the thing steady to begin with. I ask because I haven't perfected the art of aiming for a reasonable altitude while slowing to a hover, and I'll usually pop up a bit higher than I wanted and I'm anxious to just get on the deck ASAP.

Thanks!

Here is one that comes to mind.

What is the best way to do a vertical landing with the Huey? You know, pretty much landing while in a hover, is that even possible?

It is possible, just very difficult, you need to decelerate from altitude in a shallow descent, judge how high you want to arrive at 0kts, then you should be in an out of ground effect hover. After that you should simply reduce power until you hit the ground effect, reduce power even more and you should be on the ground, sounds simple, is very very hard to remain in a stable hover without going into VRS :mad:

"If the MWS didn't see it, it didn't happen"

ADF feq are also listed in the mission editor. I took and make a screen capture of all the ADF feq in the mission editor. sadly some of the screen captures didn't turn out so well as some of the feq are hard to read. I may have to go back in latter and look at the Lat and Long and record the numbers. Hope this helps

Jesse

[*] When flying <20knts and continuing to slow below 10-15knts, or going into hover, you need to descend less than 300fpm to avoid VRS( Vertical Ring State ).

Vortex Ring State*

The result is something in the vertical plane though :smilewink:

'Frett'

Heres a list i posted in my Helios profile. Its taken directly from the M.E. Not all are tested though. Some airfields that have no NDBs listed, have been given a bearing and distance from the nearest NDB

9174541338_ec977cec56_o.png.fa70b9e4364e75c40ad6a471732f4619.png

Heres a list i posted in my Helios profile. Its taken directly from the M.E. Not all are tested though. Some airfields that have no NDBs listed, have been given a bearing and distance from the nearest NDB

Thank you, useful print.

But there are some others ndb not listed and not near an airfield, or i'm wrong?

(sorry for my english...)

Yep heres some more from Martin Renders Wess24m posted these up weeks ago.

Martin_Renders_LOSLAMs.pdf

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Vortex Ring State*

The result is something in the vertical plane though :smilewink:

Good catch! LOL, yeah it was 1:00am when I typed that out. Fixed in original post ... Thanks!

Regards,

=170= Sven ☠ 2157

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel 7th Gen. i7-7700K | NZXT Kraken 41 Liquid CPU Cooler |  MSI Z270 M3 Gaming LGA 1151 | Cooler Master V1000 80+ Gold PSU | EVGA GTX 1070 | EVGA GTX 1060 (Dedicated Physx) | 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB PC4-19200 | 128GB Toshiba OCZ RD400 SSD NVMe M.2 (System Disk) | 2TB RAID 10 (4 x Seagate ST1000DX002 FireCuda SSHD) (Files Disk) |  64GB Intel Cache Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | 48GB Page Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | NZXT H440 Razer Edition Case | 1 x ViewSonic VG2439m-LED 24" [MAIN] (GTX 1070) | 2 x ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED 24" [LEFT/RIGHT] (GTX 1060)

Hey guys, will there be interactive training missions like on the a-10c or will it videos mostly i bought the beta and i was expecting to see all interactive training missions but i was dissspointed that it was all videos and 1 interactive mission with no voice.

I know its a beta so i cant expect everything to be ready but i wanted to ask just in case thats not something thats planned

Nero

27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2Gb, Running Bootcamp, Windows 7 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52 Pro

Hey guys, will there be interactive training missions like on the a-10c or will it videos mostly i bought the beta and i was expecting to see all interactive training missions but i was dissspointed that it was all videos and 1 interactive mission with no voice.

I know its a beta so i cant expect everything to be ready but i wanted to ask just in case thats not something thats planned

They were there a couple days ago, however since then, they have issued like 5 updates. One of those updates removed them. I have to say though, they were broken. You would get to certain points and they would stop.

As for Belsimtek's plans to remake these( or fix them ) and bring them back, its anybody's guess. My guess, would be that they are fixing them and then going to re-release them. I know I wouldn't want to spend the time they did on making those, to just scrap them; but that is just me.

Regards,

=170= Sven ☠ 2157

The latest update includes fixed and updated training missions (with voiceover), but these are now stored separately and must be downloaded from the Training menu.

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=84214&d=1372403556

Yes, we plan on including additional training missions and videos for the final release. For the beta, the goal was to at least include enough training to give you enough information to be able to play (and hopefully pass) missions.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

The latest update includes fixed and updated training missions (with voiceover), but these are now stored separately and must be downloaded from the Training menu.

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=84214&d=1372403556

Yes, we plan on including additional training missions and videos for the final release. For the beta, the goal was to at least include enough training to give you enough information to be able to play (and hopefully pass) missions.

What latest update are you using, or is it an unreleased version?

I have had no updates to DCS at all for a week, beginning to get a bit curious as to why :)

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

Which proves - You can't please all of the people all of the time !!!

The reason they went to relatively frequent small updates is that people said they'd rather have more smaller updates than fewer large ones...

Cheers.

in the flight sim world....many small updates is better because it lets ppl know you are still alive and working on the sim.........when you wait 2 years before your next update, you lose to many players do to the fact that they get tired of waiting.......At the rate ED is going, even if they dont fix your main bugs, you have this feeling of "Maybe next week"....because you know, that even if there is no update for the game, Wags will usaully give us a verbal update on what the devs are doing

No updates=dead flight sim mentality and loss of many clients

too many updates= 3 clients that dont like so many damn updates

I personally love the fact that ED is working so hard every week....it lets me know they are committed and that I can safely spent my money with such a dedicated company...

Edited by Davis0079

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

I personally would prefer many smaller updates so I'm waiting 2 minutes each week rather than 20 minutes to an hour each month. But that's just me. If it's the same total time ate up by updates downloading and installing I'll take the many smaller units of time any day.

But again, that's just me. Either way I can deal with it. If I had to I would run the game once a month after the update right before going to bed so it installs when I don't need it.

I am certainly glad they keep putting work into these modules though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How did this thread go from asking questions about using the UH-1H, to what you would prefer when receiving your updates? Thus the title: 'DCS UH-1H QUESTIONS '.

Regards,

=170= Sven ☠ 2157

^ True, removed my posts about that.

Got another one while I'm here: Yesterday I went for a target practice flight, this time with M261 pods only (no machine guns) and noticed the center of gravity was much better. Is it possible for the UH-1H to carry the machine guns next to the rocket pods like the older versions in order to keep that center of gravity?

EDIT: Like this UH-1C for example

uh-1cm~3.jpg

Edited by IonicRipper

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^ True, removed my posts about that.

Got another one while I'm here: Yesterday I went for a target practice flight, this time with M261 pods only (no machine guns) and noticed the center of gravity was much better. Is it possible for the UH-1H to carry the machine guns next to the rocket pods like the older versions in order to keep that center of gravity?

EDIT: Like this UH-1C for example

Well the difference in the UH-1C( Bell 204 Civilian ) and UH-1H( Bell 205 Civilian ) models is the engine size and fuselage/tailboom length.

The C uses a smaller 1,100shp( 820kW ) turbine, while the H is uses a 1,400shp( 1,000kW ) turbine. So, combined with the extra length and extra turbine weight, the 'H' should technically be holding the 'bubble' center, with the mini's forward. Perhaps, they have - for the first time ever in a helicopter simulation, in my opinion - modeled the additional weight properly?

Regards,

=170= Sven ☠ 2157