Cheating death

Exorcet

I did it about 5 times in the span of 5 minutes on the 51st server the other day. This was really interesting to fly through. It was even more interesting when I enabled external view in the track.

Skip to 5:30 to see the fight

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Congrats on surviving and winning. And now for what went wrong:

1) I don't know what those initial rolls were about when your RWR went off, I guess you were trying to drain the missile of energy.

2) NOTCH! When someone is spiking you, drive to the NOTCH and get to combat speed, not ludicrous speed!

3) Head out of the HuD. Outside of it! Stop staring at your HuD!

4) Did I mention you should get your head out of the HuD? You'd have won this one much faster had you had your head out of the pit - it would have allowed you to see where the missiles are coming from and notch them, not to mention you got lucky and the guy lost sight, also stared at his HuD, and flew out in front of you, but you had lost sight because instead of watching him when you first saw him, you looked at your HuD!

5) Insane -g pull for a gun shot. I'm going to put a bug in for Yo-Yo to muder +g tolerance any time someone does that :P

6) I don't know if you knew that he was shot down, but once he was smoking, you decided to look at your HuD again instead of watching the guy. The bad news here is that he might be packing 73's, and if he's happening to not be staring at his HuD, those burning engines won't stop him from pulling up, SHLEMing you with all he's got and ejecting later.

Just some things to consider for further de-rusting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I actually feel like I'm not overly fixated on the HUD most of the time, though I know I definitely could look around more. The reason I don't is because I don't currently have TIR, so looking around isn't terribly quick or precise. On top of that zoom requires to me to either release the stick or throttle, with my current screen I do need to adjust zoom in a few situations to really see things, but it's better than the old 1366x768 screen. That was awful.

The rolling was a combination of bleeding the missile and looking around. I knew that guy was there, but not that he was so close, so the launch and proximity surprised me. I had no idea there was a second Flanker at any point.

My dive was driven by my uncertainty about his position and range. I did not know how much time I had and I wasn't sure if I could correctly position myself to break the missile lock. My thought was it would be best to hide behind terrain and also to force the missile down low into dense air and/or mountains. I did slow down once I reached the valley, but admittedly I was still going too fast, which caused the near blackout and crash.

I do agree that getting a visual on the missiles and him would have made things much better for me, but I don't know how reliably I could have done that in this situation initially. From the track, I know he was below me. When I was flying, I expected him to be low, but how low I couldn't be sure of. Though I think I can try going back into the track and replaying it from the moment of the missile launch. The player controlled fighters will go dumb, but I think the missile will still work, as long as there is a lock anyway.

I fired the cannon because I knew I could get away with it. Instead of filing a bug, you should make them finish DCS F-15 faster. lol

Very true on the last point. I made the gun run because I wasn't sure if the AIM-9 completely finished him. However when I saw both engines out, I assumed he was done. It also took me a while before scanning for any other fighters, which I only did briefly.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

The bug is about pilot g-tolerance. If you pull -g's, your +g tolerance should be seriously impacted. You'd basically take yourself out of BFM.

I also noticed in your second video that when the 9 hit him, he actually went into a high -g split-s ... doom :)

And yep, you're horribly fixated on the HuD. You might not think so, but you are - you are correct though, it's much harder to not be like this when you do not have a TIR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda