P-51: First Impressions

MonsterZero

Looks gorgeous and sounds are awesome but what's up with the pitch axis stability? As I bring the stick towards me, even using the most gentle motions, the aircraft immediately stalls and rolls, generally to the left. The stalls are pretty violent.

Any ideas?

NZXT Phantom Red Case

Intel Core i5-2500K CPU

GeForce GTX 770

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX Intel Motherboard

COUGAR SX850 850W PSU

CORSAIR Dominator 24 GB RAM

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AB

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Cooler

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Again, IRL aircraft like this respond (especially at high speed) to what feels like mere pressure that you apply to the stick. And in turn, the stick 'hardens up' as the IAS increases, which you can easily feel. In a sim you have none, or very little of this feedback, and a tiny short-throw stick. So what feels like an effortless and reasonable stick deflection on your sim stick would be way too much IRL.

On a FFB stick you can feel the stick getting stiffer (as weird as this sounds) and it starts to shake a tiny bit as you approach stall. For non-FFB sticks you have to watch the aircraft pretty closely for vibrations.

Your control settings could be overly sensitive. You might want to check that first. It sounds like you're generating too much pitch rate, causing an accelerated stall.

As for the real P-51, at low altitudes, at around 350mph, it should easily reach it's design load limits of 6.4G at max gross weight. I have 5 hours in Crazy Horse (working on my P-51 LOA), and have had no trouble flying it to the design limits.

On a FFB stick you can feel the stick getting stiffer (as weird as this sounds) and it starts to shake a tiny bit as you approach stall. For non-FFB sticks you have to watch the aircraft pretty closely for vibrations.

Any good force feedback sticks out there? I have MS Sidewinder somewhere, haven't used it in a while. I'm currently wired for Saitek X52 but I will consider switching to FF just to fly the Mustang.

Damn, the Logitech FF system with the throttle was beautiful, but it's out of production, forever, and people are asking hundreds of dollars for it, $1000 for a brand new one.

Edited by MonsterZero

NZXT Phantom Red Case

Intel Core i5-2500K CPU

GeForce GTX 770

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX Intel Motherboard

COUGAR SX850 850W PSU

CORSAIR Dominator 24 GB RAM

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AB

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Cooler

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I think we all had this problem, I maintain that it spins out far too easily but then I don't own an P51 so what do I know ;) Reduce your sensitivities, clear all other control options that may be set for axis movement and then practice, practice, practice! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Damn, the Logitech FF system with the throttle was beautiful, but it's out of production, forever, and people are asking hundreds of dollars for it, $1000 for a brand new one.

Which is ridiculous since everything that is not the sticks x and y axis is of rather poor quality on that stick. Especially the firmware.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!