Update from 1.2.0 with Win 8?

It's been a while since I've last played any DCS and I'd like to get Lock On 3. However, I can't seem to be able to update the DCS World to the latest version. (I have the initial version plus a few updates 1.2.0 something)

As I the title states, I have win 8 and there really isn't a "start menu" to access the DCS World suite of options where the Updater apparently is, I guess. Opening the game doesn't provide any update options or prompts to update. And I downloaded the FULL latest version hoping to be able to install over the 1.2 version I have... And it won't install it, since I have a previous version.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. I've searched the Eagle Dynamics file for some sort of updater .exe, searched other places on my computer, searched this forum, posted in another thread... and I can't figure out how to do a simple update.

just uninstall the old version, install the new and then put in your keys and away you go.

Oh and when you install DON'T run it until you have installed any modules, you will need the same module version as world.

Edited by G00dnight

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

As I the title states, I have win 8 and there really isn't a "start menu" to access the DCS World suite of options where the Updater apparently is, I guess.

... and I can't figure out how to do a simple update.

Was Windows 8 a clean install?

- If not, did you install DCS (your old version) before you updated to Windows 8?

-----If yes, it's possible that you don't have all the DCS tiles on your Metro interface.

-----If no, if you install something, all icons that you would find under an old pre Windows 8 start button will also show up on your Metro interface. This includes the updater icon. If they are not there, you removed them.

Are you aware that there are various little programs out there that give you back a normal start button in Windows 8 (Classic Shell, Start8, Pokki, etc...) if you are working from the Windows 8 desktop interface?

I would:

- Uninstall your old version

- Re-install the latest version and then install modules if you have them.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

IIRC, the auto-updater for DCS World was not always there - can't remember for sure (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but it came in at a certain version, likely to be 1.2.1 or 1.2.2 if you don't have it already with 1.2.0.

I agree with the other posters, uninstall what you have and download & install latest DCS W and modules.

I also use Classic Shell for Win 8 and it's just like having Win 7

Edited by Ratfink

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound