New Hobby Found?

Arclight131

Hey Guys,

I've known about DCS for a while now but never really got engaged into it or into Flight Simulators in general.

A few friends told be they we're planning to buy it so i finally found my excuse! I've been reading over the A10C manual non stop over the last few days and I've memorized the A10 start up process without even owning the game (which i finally bought today, and my joystick is in the post as we speak, woo!) I really cannot wait to dig into this brilliant looking game!

Hope to see you all in the air soon ;)

Thanks.

Sam

• Like 1

HAF XM / BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 / i5 3570K @4.20Ghz / MSI Z77A-G43 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance / MSI GTX 660ti / TM Hotas X

Complete F***ing Noob :pilotfly:

Welcome Arclight,

I'm positive you will have a blast with the A-10C.

I know I am.

Also positive you will feel yourself at home in this community. Much to learn from the veterans in here :-)

Cheers

Rainbow

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigabyte Z270X| Intel i5 7600K 3.8Ghz | Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB | Samsung 960 240GB SSD | 240GB SSD HyperX DCS disk | 16Gb Kingston HyperX DDR4 | Thrustmaster Warthog - 15506 | Saitek Combat Rudders | Thrustmaster MFDs | Oculus Rift CV1 with 3 sensors | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Windows 10 64-bit Prof | 2x HP 24" LED | Logitech Z623 THX 2.1 | Corsair 550Watt Professional PSU

Welcome aboard.

So have you successfully started the plane yet?

There are plenty of you tube tutorials on pretty much all components of the A-10. It might be a good idea to spend some time there as well.

Nothing like going through the first cold start and taking off for the first time. :thumbup::pilotfly:

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Are there any non-combat servers out there that i can fly after i get to grips with the A10? Apparently flying with people speeds up the learning curve :)

HAF XM / BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 / i5 3570K @4.20Ghz / MSI Z77A-G43 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance / MSI GTX 660ti / TM Hotas X

Are there any non-combat servers out there that i can fly after i get to grips with the A10?

Sure. Look for servers with the word aerobatic in the name! Some servers combine this and set certain areas on the map as no engagement zones.

Sure. Look for servers with the word aerobatic in the name! Some servers combine this and set certain areas on the map as no engagement zones.

That's brilliant, thanks! :)

That's brilliant, thanks! :)

A couple may also say free flight.

Also try to stick with servers that show under 150-180 ms ping.

You could also start your own server if you just want to fly around.

People may not join if it's a basic server but at this point you should get used to handling the plane and get some hours in.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Welcome arclight! Nice to see new people join the flight simming community!

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

welcome aboard! at first, you'll start it in an hour, then with practice and experience, you'll start in in 4 mins, get it going in 2 and be kicking ass in a total of 10 mins!!! the keyword here being practice. You are in for a treat!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Welcome to the A-10! You're going to love it on many levels.

It's by far the most frustrating game that I've never hated playing. Even when I'm angry I've still enjoyed it. Happy flying.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all the replies guys! One of the friendliest communities I've ever had the pleasure of joining! :)

I'm sorry I don't understand this bit about other servers. Could someone elaborate on this a little? I would be interested in practicing away from the fight for awhile.

There are acrobatic servers which allow no weapons, or Enemy AI (i think) so you can concentrate on solely learning to fly. Alternative you could probably host a server yourself for you and only you to fly around in. :)

Okay so where do you find these other servers?

That's a question for another person since i haven't looked at the UI yet, Sorry :(

Just start DCS World Multiplayer and search for freeflight / weaponstraining / aerobatic servers ;)

servers with a * infront are password secured

The MP lobby only lists by ping you cannot change that, it's a bit annoying maybe they're fixing it sometime

Edited by yellowman
  • Like 1

Welcome! I'm new as well... So I played thru the start up sequence. When it was done I thought "how hard can it be to take off?"

So, not following procedure, I pull out on the runway. Set brakes (so feet OFF my combat pedals, to my surprise), throttle up, watching the nose dip. Then release brakes! So I actually made it up in the air. A couple minutes later, I successfully landed! I came in hot and managed to stop at the end of the runway - power sliding to a stop! Lol. Was surprised I pulled it off, reading about it made it sound so much harder! I'm sure following procedure is an Entirely diff story. Anyways, that's where I've done my free flight lol.

Btw I like your PC build! I got the same setup lol except h100 cooler & MSI mPower mobo :D

Set brakes (so feet OFF my combat pedals, to my surprise)

Make sure you invert your brakes axis so they´ll work correctly. To do this go to the Options menu, select "Axis commands" from the drop down list, highlight the left brake and click on "Edit Axis". Now tick the "Invert Axis" box and save. Rinse and repeat for the right hand brake.

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

welcome from me as well

Let me join to all the ones welcomed you here Archlight131 (and of course all the other newcomers to our praised simulation platform). If you want to practice flight management procedures, the best place you can go is the dedicated Virtual Aerobatics server. There's always a bunch of cool guys hangin' around there. Be sure to join to the teamspeak server as well. Probably you already have been there because I saw a guy in an A-10C named Sam yesterday...

Anyways if you have any questions about the A-10C or want to practice formation flying and such, I'm not a die hard professional yet but can help you out as far as my knowledge goes :) my callsign is TrailBlazer (fmr. Jeesus).

Cheers

Edited by Jeesus

TrailBlazer

Thanks for all the welcomes guys :)

Be sure to look for servers that are using Team Speak and get on to live comms with them.

Yeah i need to take a look at Teamspeak, I've never used it

This might seem like strange advice, but if I had the chance to learn the A-10 all over again, I'd not even try to look at youtube or a tutorial. I'd just go into the manual, find the checklist and start up procedures and learn it myself.

There's something special about the first time you start up one of these things. The uncertainty, the utter unfamiliarity with the cockpit. Fumbling around for a switch and tabbing back and forth to check things, and then being rewarded with the flicker of light, the hum of the inverter, the beeping of tests, the shrill whine of the APU, the monstrous roar of the engines over that whiny APU, the blinking on of more and more systems.

I wish I could forget everything I know for an afternoon. It was a great first week being a noob.

Now, once you know the basics of warming the girl up, lean on the community for all its worth, but never neglect self study. For all the tips and trick and secrets, every person has their style. It takes practice and experience to know when "style" is just sloppy bad habits, but there are still ways you'll decide you prefer to handle it all.

Biggest hurdle will probably be the CDU. I spent the majority of my time flipping through the CDU section of the manual. When you can't find anything you don't already know in there, its time you start playing with more people. :P

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.