Information from 3rd party forums is a mess.

Hi there,

Just quickly voicing my opinions on how I feel that the current information flow is very unorganized and is a real pain to sort though.

I'll start on a positive note and mention that all official news from Matt is very well presented and easy to access, and is even better with the weekly updates.

However when I attempt to check on 3rd party modules I find it near impossible to find any actual content updates, as the Dev diary's and updates threads are open to public posting, and rapidly get filled with hundreds of posts which often go off topic.

For example, I was quite interested when I saw the DCS:Hawk 'Developer Diary' thread, found here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89722

On opening the thread I find that there are 62 pages of posts to sift though, and I cannot find any content on the module in there.

So I was just wondering if anyone else had become frustrated with this approach, or am I missing something completely here?

(I hope I don't sound to negative, just wanting to get my thoughts out there :)

• Like 3

DCS Multiplayer Highlights Reel -

Agree. Mods and 3rd party devs need to tidy up a bit their forums. ED on their side keeps everything neat and clean.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

The red headed step children might not have the same moderator access for their forums.

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I haven't followed the other 3rd party subforums, but the Belsimtek subforum is nicely organized. Maybe that's because BST's EvilBivol-1 has been a long time moderator, but it's not rocket science. No clue why it doesn't work as well in other parts of the forum though.

A sticky "Official Updates" thread in every third-party forum would be nice now that you are mentioning it :)

+1 :thumbup:

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

I hate reading 100+ post replies that say:

"Good luck"

"Very nice"

"Congratulations"

ETC

If you have something that help other people write it, or an opinion.

This is what the forum was created. Not to say good morning and good evening...

The whole forum is a mess, obsolete stickies from 3 years ago, irrelevant stuff mixed with golden info.

And I am talking about the official side. If we are going to have weekly updates, then open a thread called ED's Weekly updates, and make it closed to comments. Don't make 38 thousand individual threads, all of them stickies, as in 4 months most of them will be obsolete, and just cluttering the already cluttered forum.

This is supposed to be positive criticism.

Edited by Tucano_uy

If you read only first post that means you missed DCS MiG-21Bis NewsFlash - Issue No.2

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1798849&postcount=134

:huh:

so true man, I read it because someone pointed me to this particuliar post like you did, but please, post below messages to tell him to create a new post for each week, or one read-only post !

Edited by galevsky06

A sticky "Official Updates" thread in every third-party forum would be nice now that you are mentioning it :)

+1 :thumbup:

If you read only first post that means you missed DCS MiG-21Bis NewsFlash - Issue No.2

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1798849&postcount=134

Agreed! Even the Mig-21 forum could stand a little tidiness and maybe follow the same format as the main forum page. Would it be too much to set up an "Official Update" section for each 3rd party forum?

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

To be honest all I'm interested in is the work that is being carried out. I have to say it's a bit of a nightmare going through all the one word comments like "Great and Thankyou". I know people like to show their appreciation, but someone should just make a sticky appreciation thread or a news thread in each one of them.

Edited by Dudester22

Well everyone seems keen on the idea of an Official Updates sub-forum in each third party forum.

Next question is, who do we need to contact / harass to get the ball rolling?

DCS Multiplayer Highlights Reel -

Respective 3rd party devs need to approach the forum administration to request moderator rights for their subfora. Of course they can always contact us (mods) for help, but i expect that it would get bothersome for them pretty quick.

What you can do is talk to the 3rd party devs.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Thing is, from our point of view it is indeed rather obvious what needs to be done and easy solutions exists but from my experience, indie developers and tiny studios have a hard time in dealing with such things, because it takes an incredible amount of time and effort to communicate properly & keep everyone updated, that's as much time and resources away from developing. There usually isn't a full time paid community manager to support such tiny projects and with good reasons. ^^

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]