1 Screen or 3 Screen Help

Waits

Hello,

I am running DCS on a triple display with nvidia surround using 2 GTX 670s in SLi mode. Under the game's setting (default high) and with 3 screens selected I am getting 20 fps at the most.

If I make it one screen I get well over 60 all the time...but the two side monitors shows everything stretched and distorted.

What am I doing wrong? The game looks great with the 3 Screen Setting, no stretching or distortion on the side monitors.

Attached thumbnails were taken from the same spot int he cockpit. The first is with 1 screen...notice the enormity of the wing tip. The second shows the scaling all correct.

I feel I should be getting more than 20 FPS with my PC, even on three monitors.

Screen_130627_190444.thumb.jpg.1143aaeca0ef1d518fbfc7b6f3c424a6.jpg

Screen_130627_190704.thumb.jpg.6aced530b3f09b5d75a861e34790b364.jpg

Edited by Waits

Game looks good with 3 monitors setting, because it renders 3 different viewports, and it is 3 times more computationally extensive task than render only 1 viewport. You can't achieve same wide-fov visuals with only 1 viewport (flat camera) without geometrical distortions.

I would say - turn off HDR (it doesn't work correctly with more than 1 viewport anyway, sun looks buggy), set medium shadows, and less distance for trees. Hopefully you will get some FPS.

• Like 1

Hello,

I am running DCS on a triple display with nvidia surround using 2 GTX 670s in SLi mode. Under the game's setting (default high) and with 3 screens selected I am getting 20 fps at the most.

If I make it one screen I get well over 60 all the time...but the two side monitors shows everything stretched and distorted.

What am I doing wrong? The game looks great with the 3 Screen Setting, no stretching or distortion on the side monitors.

>>> As many others - this time in noob language

1. get a proper editor to edit *.lua files (notepad++).

2. Make a backup of the ...DCS WorldConfigViewServer.lua

3. Now open this server.lua and edit each line containing this string:

"CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,140.000000},"

And change the 140 to something like 160. , so it looks like this:

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,160.000000},

(if you intend to use only the P-51D - jump directly to line #184 and change only this)

What this does: It higher the maximum FOV aka ZOOM for each cockpit - so you higher you Vertical FOV inside your 'narrow' TH setup and you can zoom further out. - up to 160° horizontal.

Please also look This to understand some side-effects of such a wide FOV:

... and maybe you want to use this mod - and be able to control important settings with a single line instead re-doing it for each cockpit, and much ,much more - This MOD has already set the max FOV to 160° by default, so TH-users don't have to edit at all:

Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

EDIT:

Such Wide FOV is not always optimal for a flight sim.. - so you may want to rethink it and maybe arrange your monitors in Portrait:

>>> "3 monitor" camera...

edit:

1. navigate to your used 'MonitorSetup'.lua >>Eagle DynamicsDCS A-10CConfigMonitorSetup

And edit in the Viewports= section

> viewDx = 0; -- this will tilt your view in the horizontal direction

> viewDy = 0; -- this will tilt your view in the vertical direction

Values can be dezimal and also negative - example : viewDx = -1.37;

But you can save your time - this will only work satisfying if you have monitors that are tilt at about 60° to each other or have a setup similar like this:

picture.php?albumid=497&pictureid=3788

or this:

viewport-cube.png

When you use a "planar" TH-Setup , just stick with the 1 Screen option.

about 2.

I'm short at time...

so please have a read here

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=77955 and here

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1372974#post1372974-

-should explain a lot.

But in short: Rendering 3 view-ports takes almost 3times the same load on your card as only rendering only one, and use a lot of V-Ram.

The only things that your card can re-use are the textures, but almost all other things have to be rendered again.

And there is up to now no way to streamline this.

But it should anyway be used only in a setup with projection with a squared environment.

It is IHMO not meant to be used on a TH-Setup (see examples in the links).

the biggest hit is rendering the cockpit - switch to HUD-only view (ALT+F1) to see how smooth everything is...

BTW - while we are on it, and you use a 3-monitor setup: Fix for misplaced/stretched MP and Mission Gui - also for BS