Some more A-10 questions and general concerns

Pajeezy

I've already made a thread here once yesterday, and I apologize and don't want to fill up this forum so I'll try to consolidate everything I can possibly ask into this one thread.

I've had Lock On for ages, and never really had the patience to learn it. Well now, hopefully it'll be different this time, as I just purchased FC3.

I'm starting with the A-10A as it seems like an easier first option to learn, and it was what I semi-learned in the past. I've gone over every tutorial I can find, and have the basics down (how to use/activate NAV mode/weapons/engines/gear/flaps etc). However, There are a few more advanced things I need to learn/get down before I'm comfortable to fly any sort of full-fledged mission past just messin' around and crashing..

First off, I noticed that when in idle, the A-10 is not at 65% power like in many videos I see and during tutorials for takeoff etc. Instead it's somewhere around 25%. When I use the slider on my joystick for the throttle and set it to full, the fan power only reads 80% and will go no higher. Bug? Problem with my joystick?

And speaking of joystick, how should I program mine for the A-10? If it's any help, I'm using a Logitech Extreme3D Pro (probably a crappy joystick, not too familiar with them, but it's what I got). I have the basics already functioning on it, such as cannon fire and weapons release. It has one hat on it, which was by default set to looking around. I have since changed it to set trim based on what others have suggested (however I don't have rudder trim set, and I don't know of its uses). And if I have trim set on it, what should I use for looking around? My mouse seems to do a good job of it, however it's very awkward using my right hand for the joystick and left hand for the mouse. I can make it work unless someone has any other suggestions. Also the rudder pedals are set to twisting the stick left to right. Seems logical, however it's very very sensitive, and I find myself using the rudder pedals accidentally almost every time I touch the stick.

Sorry for the long wall of text, I just want to make sure I don't flood this forum with mini-help-needed-posts.

TL;DR Help why does A-10 power only go to 80% for me, and how should I program my HOTAS as far as viewing and and anything else for the A-10. (Also, I have gotten used to trim now, but still don't exactly know how to effectively use it)

First off, I noticed that when in idle, the A-10 is not at 65% power like in many videos I see and during tutorials for takeoff etc. Instead it's somewhere around 25%. When I use the slider on my joystick for the throttle and set it to full, the fan power only reads 80% and will go no higher. Bug? Problem with my joystick?
This is pretty much normal.

And speaking of joystick, how should I program mine for the A-10? If it's any help, I'm using a Logitech Extreme3D Pro (probably a crappy joystick, not too familiar with them, but it's what I got). I have the basics already functioning on it, such as cannon fire and weapons release. It has one hat on it, which was by default set to looking around. I have since changed it to set trim based on what others have suggested (however I don't have rudder trim set, and I don't know of its uses). And if I have trim set on it, what should I use for looking around? My mouse seems to do a good job of it, however it's very awkward using my right hand for the joystick and left hand for the mouse. I can make it work unless someone has any other suggestions. Also the rudder pedals are set to twisting the stick left to right. Seems logical, however it's very very sensitive, and I find myself using the rudder pedals accidentally almost every time I touch the stick.
You are going to have figure out what works best for you. Ideally you want as much combat related stuff programed to your joystick as possible. When it comes to the hat switch for view, unless you have TrackIR or FreeTrack you will need to program that to your stick. You could also use your keyboard, but I don't recommend that. For your rudder, just adjust the deadzone and curve for your rudder axis to tune it to suite you better.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6800XT

Okay, cool. Thanks for the info. I wonder why that is that it won't go above 80%...

Also, as far as waypoints, especially long ones, do people usually use autopilot to keep 'er level and steady? Or would that be kinda cheating? I'm trying to play/learn this game by the book, in as full a simulation mode as I can. So I don't necessarily wanna cut corners.

not cheating. The C anyway has alt/hdg, alt, and path hold autopilot modes. There is nothing that chases steerpoints or targets for you, but you can do an alt hold and set up a pattern around the target area while you're messing with the tgp to find your targets.

True, for the A-10C, but the OP is specifically referencing the A-10A.

Mark I Eye Ball

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6800XT

Cool, I planned on simply using it to hold altitude during waypoints, or perhaps while slewing the maverick over targets so it's not so jumpy.

One other thing. This also seems to me like a bug, but, when I switch to Sidewinders with the A-10, the reticle isn't in the middle of the HUD. It's all the way up at the top and somewhat off of the HUD. That can't be normal. Also, in the Instant Action mission for the A-10, I've tried probably five different times yet I am unable to even get a lock on the two Mi-24s floating around the area. I get within .2 NM of them and still no tone. I know the AIM-9 requires some positioning (preferrably behind) for a good lock, but these are helis and I'm gettin nothing. Is it because of the weird positioning of the reticle?