General Purchasing/Upgrading/Mod Questions

rassy7

LOVE DCS and DCS World and ED and this whole thing. Been a long-time FSX guy and this makes that look like Atari. So ... since I am clearly going to be diving into this head-first, I am wondering about a few core characteristics:

1. FSX has tons of third-party developers but 100% of the skins and aircraft are only good in multiplayer if everybody in the game has the exact same files. Meaning, for my F-16 to look like an F-16 and with the correct skin, it has to be on the other guys' computers in that same way or it will not appear correctly. I am wondering if DCS World is the same way. If I download a skin for the A-10 then load that in a multiplayer game, how will my jet look to the other players? If I download a third-party aircraft, will it render for other players or not? What will happen?

2. I have purchased as much as possible, partly because the ED quality is unmatched, imho, and because I want to do everything I can to make this profitable and help ensure a strong future so it doesn't go kuput like Microsoft's Flight Simulator series. Among the modules I bought was FC3. Is the F-15C in FC3 the same model as the one drawn for AI in DCS World? Meaning, if I download a skin for the "DCS World F-15C," OR the "FC3 F-15C," will it be installed in a way that will be usable for both the AI version and the FC3 flyable one?

2B. Along those lines, if I were to download and install and really like and want to keep a mod that adjusted the weather (Sun/HDR) and/or part of a jet (afterburner, sound), how would that be reflected to the rest of the players?

3. I purchased the A-10, the Huey, CA etc but I read all over the forums that all I needed was the serial key to plug into DCS World to make it work. Well I did that and sure enough, everything is working wonderfully, but I've read through the update changes lists for a few of the aircraft and there are some pretty good changes on there I want to make sure I have. Meaning, since I didn't download the stand-alone games from the DCS download page becaues I didn't have to, do I not have some of those goodies? Is there any reason to download and install those files in addition to inputting the serieal key into DCS World? Exception, of course, was FC3 which required me to download the software and get LOMAC to install it, but it works fine now and LOMAC is gone. FYI, I only plan to play through DCS World, never through just one stand-alone or another.

Ok, all done for now. If anyone who has read this far and has any answer to any question and the further patience to write it below, PLEASE do so.

Thanks a whole bunch in advance and I hope to see y'all in the virtual skies, :D

~Josh

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

I can only help on 3:

Yes, by downloading the module you will have the latest version and all the updates that have been done for it. After that, once each day that you launch DCS World, it will check for any available updates, advise you if there are any, and give you the option to download and install. It works very well.

You have no need for any standalone version, unless you just want another version installed separately from DCS World for whatever reason.

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | Valve Index| Vive Pro 2 |

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking that was how it worked but couldn't find the answer online and had no way to confirm it otherwise. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something I could have had and paid for.

~Josh

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

1. Yes, it's the same.

2. They are the same. I'm no programmer but it'd be pointless to have 2 different models of the same exact aircraft.

2a. I'm almost certain the mod will only work for the person with said mod.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Leafer is correct on all points.

as for 2.) The AI uses the same external model for the F-15C as you have for the FC3 modules. The external model is apart of DCS world and is not necessary to purchase FC3 to have the model in a mission.

2B) The mods will only work on the machine they are installed on. That being said, some servers will block all mods, not sure about skins though.

3. d.Burnette is correct.

DCS: A10C Warthog JTAC coordinate entry training mission http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/99424/

DCS: Blackshark 2 interactive training missions http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

Excellent. Thanks fellas. I had a feeling your answers was the case. Good to know for sure. Think I'll just stick to the wonderful "stock" aircraft/skins.

~J

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen