Do the dual rotors prevent vortex ring?

Hi. TSIA

In the huey i vortex ring every single time i try to land , yet in the shark i can land no problem. Why is this? Does the FM of the huey need tweaking still , is it becouse of the shark's dual rotors , isit becouse of the shark's AP? I'm at a loss here.

Thank you

...without going in to much details:

one engine and two blades vs. two engines and six blades

- what do you think helps more to hold you in a stable state and produces more lift/airflow to 'push' the (always present) vortex further from your blades so you have more distance to it and it gets harder to drop in this 'hole' !? ;)

- well , when you are once in it - you are almost stuck...and no engine/pitch power will help - than immediately lower the rotor-pitch(collective) - so you don't feed the VSR even more - and decent/drift lateral/forward to get out of it as long you have a fistful air between the fuselage and the ground.- but more blades/and square meters of 'wings' will lower your decent rate significant/extend your 'glide-path' to get out of the VRS .

what works in the Ka-50 is a no-go in the Huey:

one example - never try to land down-wind with the Huey - always bring your nose in the wind!

Edited by PeterP

Whereas the Huey FM (as per my gut feeling too) still needs tweaking, it'll still be harder to fly even when finished. Which, OTOH, doesn't mean you'll never enter VRS in the Shark, because given more flight time (and hard manouvering) there, you will. Trust me on this ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

one example - never try to land down-wind with the Huey - always bring your nose in the wind!

Maybe i just got really unlucky every time i tried to land so far (unlucky as in , i had my nose away from the wind every time) I dont really know how to check the weather during a mission.

Thank you everyone for your comments

I must say the Huey needs some training in the beginning.

But now I'm comfortable with the Huey.

Just keep your approach path shallow and low.

Kind regards

Jorik

Intel i7 8700k 5,0Ghz OC

Nvidia GTX1080Ti

32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

HP Reverb Pro

Selfmade Alu Rail 4080 mounts

TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Virpil 100mm extension + Virpil VFX + TM F/A-18 Stick

TM MFD's

Saitek Pedals

I must say the Huey needs some training in the beginning.

But now I'm comfortable with the Huey.

Just keep your approach path shallow and low.

exactly! - good things needs some time!

I don't really know how to check the weather during a mission.

Read the 'weather-report' in briefing!

... well, there might be 'soon' a better way without to interrupt the in-cockpit experience. >>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1797834#post1797834

Edited by PeterP

Read the 'weather-report' in briefing!

Thanks, that didnt occur to me. I do find it a little weird you cant ask a tower for weather reports tough... maybe the military doesnt do this in real life , but i remember being able to do it in FSX. Anyway checking the briefing is good enough for me , as long as i have SOME way to check it i'm fine.

Thanks, that didnt occur to me. I do find it a little weird you cant ask a tower for weather reports tough... maybe the military doesnt do this in real life , but i remember being able to do it in FSX. Anyway checking the briefing is good enough for me , as long as i have SOME way to check it i'm fine.

NICE TRY! ;)

When you ask a frap/airport for landing clearance you will also get the wind-heading in the reply. - (make yourself familar with te radio comms!)

-whatever-

yes, DCS ATC is a little limited.

but:

>>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=108764

Key features planned for version 1.2.5 include:

DCS World

• Improvements to the ATC system.

in every update there is a little improvement ... - so lets see how long it takes that it 'fitting' with 'our' expectation.

Edited by PeterP

Whereas the Huey FM (as per my gut feeling too) still needs tweaking, it'll still be harder to fly even when finished. Which, OTOH, doesn't mean you'll never enter VRS in the Shark, because given more flight time (and hard manouvering) there, you will. Trust me on this ;)

With an airspeed under 5 km/h and a rate of decent below 5m/s I can guarantee you will be in a vortex ring every time lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

an airspeed under 5 km/h and a rate of decent below 5m/s

Yeah, that too will get you into VRS every time. Even the manual mentions this AFAIR...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• ED Team
Hi. TSIA

In the huey i vortex ring every single time i try to land , yet in the shark i can land no problem. Why is this? Does the FM of the huey need tweaking still , is it becouse of the shark's dual rotors , isit becouse of the shark's AP? I'm at a loss here.

Thank you

It depends on how the rotor is loaded for certain type of a helo. Low loaded rotors more prone to VRS as they have lower induced velocity. VRS depends on it and descent rate ratio.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
Is the rotor load on the Huey actually lower than on the Shark?

You can estimate it yourself: weight to rotor disk area ratio. BS geometric area can be multiplied to 1.2 at least regarding a biplane effect.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

BS geometric area can be multiplied to 1.2 at least regarding a biplane effect.

That explains it, i would have guessed a much bigger ratio for the coaxial rotors.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!