Air Defence Diagramm

HugePanic

Hi,

i was always wondering how to remember the ranges of the air defenses DCS uses.

I have started creating a diagramm for this.

Can anyone please confirm the data i have used? It is based on several sources, but everything is a little fuzzy, so i tried to get good average values.

right now everything is in km, i guess for heights i will change to feet and for distance change for miles??

[TABLE]System Name RWR Guidance Range [km] Max. height [km]

SA-08 Osa Osa 8 Radar 7 12

SA-15 Tor Tor 15 Radar 12 6

SA-19 Tunguska Tunguska S6 Radar 8 3,5

ZSU-23-4 Shilka Shilka A Radar 2,5 1,5

SA-6 KUB Kub 6 Radar 16 14

SA-11 BUK BUK SD or 11 Radar 32 25

S-300PS Big-Bird Big-Bird BB Radar 47 30

SA-13 Strela-10 Strela-10 IR 5 3,5

SA-9 Strela-1 Strela-1 IR 4,2 3,5

SA-18 Igla Igla IR 3 3

ZU-23 optical 2,5 2[/TABLE]

I plan to add the basic distances and angles of the A-10 weapon to it --> gun, maverick, rockets.

also service ceiling .....

What do you think? Worth doing it or is there alleady a better chart?

ru_air_defense.thumb.gif.88eb5d07d4c3c57a8f9dcc580df3f0bf.gif

I would suggest you pick either NATO or Russian designations and not mix the two.

How are you obtaining these values?

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

The only way to get proper data valid in DCS it to test in DCS.

I've started doing just that, but with everything else I have going on its going to take some time.

SA-18_Grouse.png

SA-9_Gaskin.png

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Yep. And getting the real numbers you'll see in DCS is actually pretty easy. It's just moderately time consuming.

It still surprises me that nobody has done stuff like this yet. At least not scientifically, and then released the results.

Spoiler

the tunguska i can confirm below 15000ft and 4.2NM distance (just tested)

My charts use a eliptical shape, but especially the area of <10Nm distance, the real shape of the "danger area" does not really count. Since you newer now the exact distance from RWR alone, you can just guess and avoid....

Yep. And getting the real numbers you'll see in DCS is actually pretty easy. It's just moderately time consuming.

It still surprises me that nobody has done stuff like this yet. At least not scientifically, and then released the results.

I might post the results I got soon, although I wouldn't pretend them to be anything like a definitive study.

EDIT: done. See here

Edited by Robin_Hood