30% - 50% fps drop after adding Huey module

malibu43

After much tuning, tweaking, and testing, I got my FPS in FC3 to stable 25-30 with good visuals (in the 6dof pits).

I bought the Huey and noticed it was down in the 15-17 range in the cockpit. I thought maybe this was something just related to the Huey and its clickable pit. However, I then went back to the A-10A and found that my fps was down in the 15-17 range there as well. My installation history at that point was probably something like:

1. DCS World (whatever first version to allow auto updates)

2. Some updates (I think)

3. FC3 installed in January

4. Some more updates

5. DCS Huey installed last week

I uninstalled DCS world and then reinstalled as follows:

1. DCS World (current version)

2. FC3 (current version)

3. DCS Huey (current version)

When I went back into the game, my FC3/SU-25T fps were back up in the high 20's and low 30's, and my fps in the Huey were more in the 17-20 range. I'm happy with my performance now but the two things I wanted to highlight for the devs are:

1. For some reason the installation order I had the first time gave me some fps issues, even though I don't think it should have.

2. DCS Huey gives me substantially lower fps than the FC3 aircraft (even in external views). I don't have A-10C or KA-50, so I don't know if that's normal (due to clickable pits or something), or if it's a Huey/beta thing.

Sorry - can't help you with your problem.

But for any guy who may can you should provide them with your system specs (CPU, RAM, OS, 64 or 32 bit, and so on).

That will help them a lot ;)

Good point. :D

HP Pavillion Dv6t Quad Edition, Win7 (64), i7 2.0ghz (2.9ghz w/ Turbo Boost), 1GB Radeon HD6770M, 6GB RAM, 640GB HD

FWIW, I'm not necessarily looking for help at this point. More or less trying to bring the issue to light, specifically the fact that the auto update process seems to have caused some hiccups. Although, ideally you could expect similar performance from module to module as well.

The performance I'm getting may just be all I can expect on a laptop, and I understand that.

Same problem .

Updated dcs world then installed huey. Compared to previous dcs world without huey , its a

15fps drop. Even on low presets inside cockpit views are fine but scenery stutters and is just feasible to fly the sim.

On medium presets, its unplayable.

No other changes to system.

System: i5 2500k , asus z68 board , sapphire 6750 , eyefinity 3 screen setup 5760x 1080 resolution. , win 7 64 latest catalyst drivers .

Edited by bombsaway
Additions

I got the Huey last week during the sale and noticed the same thing. The FPS in DCS A10C and Black Shark 2 were in the 35~40 range during missions, but in the Huey it is averaging 17 FPS in the free flight mission. It is still smooth though, not jerky.

My specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom 1075T 6 cores @ 3GHZ (turbo to 3.5ghz)

6 GB DDR 3 RAM

AMD HD 5870 1 GB graphics card with latest CAT drivers.

Dell HD 22 inch monitor 1920 x 1080 res @ 60Hz.

Windows 7 64 Bit.

TrackIR 4

Saitek X52 Pro

CH rudder pedals

Before, my in game graphics settings were set to default high, and then I turned off heat blur and water to low, MSAA to 2X and TSAA off. Now, I turned down the graphics settings to default medium, but still no change.

Dell XPS 7100 = AMD 1075T Phenom II (6 cores @ 3.0ghz). 6 GB DDR3 RAM. AMD HD 5870 1 GB, Win 7 64 Bit, Track IR 4, X52 Pro, CH rudder pedals. 22" Dell Full HD LED monitor.

Any chance it could be the rotor movement in the view?

Guess it could be checked by looking down in the cockpit to get it out of view?

Also being that the Huey is in Beta maybe they have debugging code still active?

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Any chance it could be the rotor movement in the view?

Guess it could be checked by looking down in the cockpit to get it out of view?

Also being that the Huey is in Beta maybe they have debugging code still active?

Doubt it is the rotor view. The FPS is at its worst when looking straight out the front of the cockpit. When I move my head around and look at the overhead panels etc, the FPS jumps by nearly 10, so that is why it is so weird. Also, when the chopper is flying 500 hundred feet or above, the FPS goes up as well to nearly 30 from the 17 I get on the tarmac.

Problem is, since it is DCS World, the terrain in Black Shark and Huey should be the same. But the FPS in BS2 is nearly twice as much as I get in the Huey.

Edited by 2GvSAP_Mohawk

Dell XPS 7100 = AMD 1075T Phenom II (6 cores @ 3.0ghz). 6 GB DDR3 RAM. AMD HD 5870 1 GB, Win 7 64 Bit, Track IR 4, X52 Pro, CH rudder pedals. 22" Dell Full HD LED monitor.

Remember not sure if this has an effect on things but the Huey is still in beta phase and not final release.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

• 2 weeks later...

I think it has something to do with runway lights, including PAPI. whenever the lights are in view, the FPS is around 17, look away and the FPS jumps 7~8 points. Does that make any sense?

From the updates Wags has posted so far regarding 1.2.5, I haven't seem anything mentioned regarding FPS optimizations. Sort of concerned that this problem is here to stay for a while.

From the updates Wags has posted so far regarding 1.2.5, I haven't seem anything mentioned regarding FPS optimizations. Sort of concerned that this problem is here to stay for a while.

Mate, they got your money already, they are busy expanding edge, associating with ex 1c luthier, and so on...

I don't think there is an issue with the UH-1H module per se.

Rather, the known performance issue with dynamic lighting becomes more obvious, for example, in the campaign missions where you take off from the FARP with a "significant" number of other helicopters in view, all employing navigation lights, search lights, etc. (+ dome lighting of your own UH-1H)

• ED Team

We all know DCS needs optimising, and we know ED are aware

Ive always found the KA-50 and now the UH-1H make the frame rates go down, but often forget we are closer to the ground so rendering more objects and the big killer for me with a ATI card the dust.

I would expect a drop with a helicopter, but it could be better :)

Hoping 1.2.5 - 1.2.6 brings optimisation to DCS and maybe the IG :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

they got your money already

I'm pretty sure I've seen Wags stating that they're aware of the problems and are working on them, so y'all just take a deep breath and relax, now ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

After 1.2.5, I lost another 3 FPS in the Huey, down to 14 FPS from 17 FPS at the runway. Before, once leaving the airfield the FPS used to jump to nearly 30, now it stays around 18 FPS, a 12 FPS drop. Nearly unplayable now.

After 1.2.5, I lost another 3 FPS in the Huey, down to 14 FPS from 17 FPS at the runway. Before, once leaving the airfield the FPS used to jump to nearly 30, now it stays around 18 FPS, a 12 FPS drop. Nearly unplayable now.

Come on mate...with 18 FPS, I could get married!!!

Dont worry.. you have plenty of FPS to spend on 1.2.6...(another ~ 8 )

And dnt tell me that you cannot fly with 10FPS...:photo:

Otherwise grab yourself an i7 3980x overclocked to 6gz bandled with 64gb of cas6 latensy:huh: modules and a couple of nvidia Titans and theres your 50stable FPS.

Whats wrong with you guys?!!!

Ohh, I forgot that when EDGE is out, you ll need to call IBM to order a supercomputer for it ..otherwise dnt ever dare to speak about low FPS:tomato:

noob!!!

(jk)

Edited by TaliG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

back in 1995 it cost 4000$+ for a 166MHz machine with 24mb ram and a 8mb 3d accelerator....

now... you can easily build a system that could run this game at 60fps+ for 1000$...

computers are cheap...

and i use a single GTX780 and an i7 2600k@4.5GHz with 8GB ram, and i get a solid 60fps on 1920x1200 with settings maxed out and 16xaa, except when I'm running fraps that is...

also in order for a game to get better graphics, more features, expand, the hardware requirements go up, therefor the cost of the game isn't just in the software, you need to keep your hardware up to date to keep with the times... if you expect the game to get better without you making your computer better ur fooling urself

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

back in 1995 it cost 4000$+ for a 166MHz machine with 24mb ram and a 8mb 3d accelerator....

What did you just remind me...:cry:

My first ''gaming pc'' was a pentium 166mhz (mmx please) with s3 trio virge graphics :cry:

And the race between hardware and software begun after the release of falcon 4.0..

My first ''satisfaction'' with falcon 4.0 came with an amd 1800xp (hell of a beast) bundled with nv ti4200 and the HUGE community upgrade to falconSP... plus a litle bit of ms fs2000.. then

Lock-on nuke arrived:cry: together with an ati9800pro and a litle bit of ms fs 2004 ...I had to change pc again...:cry: But then I had to work to get a new pc..

now... you can easily build a system that could run this game at 60fps+ for 1000$...

computers are cheap...

Problem comes when YOU have to pay for those upgrades and not your parents, my friend...

Because the time will come that you will need a car or a motorbike more than you need a pc to play games...You will prefer to buy presents to wife and kids than buy yourself a new pc to play a game.. But then again there are people that sweat to have something and others have everything without sweating at all...:smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Problem comes when YOU have to pay for those upgrades and not your parents, my friend...

Because the time will come that you will need a car or a motorbike more than you need a pc to play games...You will prefer to buy presents to wife and kids than buy yourself a new pc to play a game.. But then again there are people that sweat to have something and others have everything without sweating at all...:smilewink:

Well said. I don't game too much except for flight sims, and besides DCS the other one is Rise of Flight which I can run maxed out at 60 FPS with about a dozen or so planes around me along with smoke, fog, explosions on the ground. So it ain't the PC that is the problem. :pilotfly:

I personally don't think "buy a better computer" is the appropriate solution for the issue being discussed in this thread. It is one possible solution, but I don't think its the right one. It would not be a wise business decision for ED to simply expect their customers to upgrade their computers every time they degrade performance for no apparent reason.

• 6 months later...

Ever find any fix on this? My FPS dropped like a rock in the huey...

i52500

7990 6gig

16 gigs Ram

SSD

windows 7 64

Home-Built Rig - | ASUS TUF Z390-Plus| i9 9900k | 2080ti | 32g G.SKILL TridentZ |Samsung 970 evos | Tagan 1100w PS | Warthog Hotas | Track ir 5 | Saitek Pedals | PFT Collective