how to fly a loop...?

giiams

Ok this might be stupid but.... how do I fly a loop? Every time I try I just end up nose up, and then doing this retarded stalling/flopping maneuver. I am flying no flaps, 2700ish rpm, 47-60'' manifold pressure.

If someone could give me step by step, that would be awesome!

Ok this might be stupid but.... how do I fly a loop?

Aye and welcome to the forums.

Herewith a pictorial illustration of the elevator/pitch input needed for a successful loof or a SSD (Stall, Spin and Die):

Herewith elevator input for successful loop:

opl8p3p.png

Herewith elevator input for stall, spin and die:

fpYJgpF.png

See what little difference there is?

Above inputs taken from the following vid:

Ti65sRxOXgE

IIRC this vid done with Rockets, Bombs and full fuel so she's grossly overweight as well. Just watch how far you pull :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Actually, Viper, the biggest difference i can see that would be causing the stall is the fact the rudder is centered in the 2nd picture.

Causing the plane to side slip. Stalling one wing, spin and die.

Video is a good watch though. Already forgotten how to take-off in the bloody thing myself.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

ok

Thank you for the welcome. Taking off I can do! I will try what you said Viper. I need to use some rudder...? Or leave rudder dead center?

Also while flying, the plane constantly lists to one side. Typically right. I cannot seem to get aileron trim to do anything but make my controller vibrate. The unfortunate thing is, I am using a dual shock controller now... heh...

I need to use some rudder...? Or leave rudder dead center?

You need to use however much rudder it takes to keep the ball centered. "Ball" meaning the slip-and-skid indicator around the middle of the instrument panel--if you haven't found it yet, it's the little ball the slides around when you kick the rudder. If the ball is off-center, you're more prone to stall & spin.

I find that a little slip in a loop isn't killer. When I start a loop, I glance down at the accelerometer by the oil temp/pressure gauge: starting a loop at 4.5g or 5g anywhere above about 225 mph is about the best you can do. More than that, and you'll end up at too high an angle of attack, and it won't work out well in the end.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

I find that a little slip in a loop isn't killer. When I start a loop, I glance down at the accelerometer by the oil temp/pressure gauge: starting a loop at 4.5g or 5g anywhere above about 225 mph is about the best you can do. More than that, and you'll end up at too high an angle of attack, and it won't work out well in the end.

When we are in formation we wont even consider a loop below 320mph

Depending on how well trimmed you are at entry speed will determine how much rudder you need to keep it straight, pulling a loop is easy, pulling a straight loop not so much

Could I trouble you for some tips on throttle/prop RPM for formation flying? When I flew last night, I was juggling both to keep up with/not fly past my leader. Would setting RPM a little bit above his setting and working the throttle only be a better way to do it?

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

• ED Team
Could I trouble you for some tips on throttle/prop RPM for formation flying? When I flew last night, I was juggling both to keep up with/not fly past my leader. Would setting RPM a little bit above his setting and working the throttle only be a better way to do it?

You can set rpm above or low - it means almost nothing... :) Anyway, there are some tips:

- the higher rpm you set, the more braking effect will be at idle throttle. So, there is more opportunity to be more aggressive joining a leader.

- the same rpm as your leader allows him to announce what MP you must have to flight in formation.

Obviously, you need to use only throttle to stay at place.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Generally with my formation flying I set my manifold as close to the leader as I can and then work the manifold to maintain position along with cheating turns etc to bring position back, there is some moving of the manifold pressure needed as its impossible to stay on wing with no movement of the throttle at all.

hth

Pman