Why the MI-8?

Please understand i'm not hating on anything , i would just want some info.

From what i know the Mi-8 is just a troop transport , right? Its ugly , old , and cant do alot of things, the huey is an iconic helo that everyone knows but the Mi-8 seems such an odd choise...

Once again i'm not trying to insult the developers , i will support them whatever they choose to develop , but maybe there is something amazing about the Mi-8 that i just dont know about.

Thank you

Edit : Wow , my eyes have been opened after reading the replies and watching some documentary about it on youtube... now i can't wait for it. But i still think it looks ugly haha :D

Edited by McBlemmen

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fast and it has more of a warship style 'bridge' than a cockpit, great visibility.

Aesthetics are personal taste of course, I think it looks pretty good for a helicopter of its size.

Pretty good choice I think, especially since it gets us a wee bit closer to an Mi-24

Hello,

I'm a great fan of the helicopters and of course I have the Huey, concerning the Mil Mi-8 I wait with impatient this new machine...

And it's hard to wait ;-)

Its ugly , old , and cant do alot of things, the huey is an iconic helo that everyone knows but the Mi-8 seems such an odd choise...

That's all just prejudice, you'll see when it's out.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

From what i know the Mi-8 is just a troop transport , right? Its ugly , old , and cant do alot of things, the huey is an iconic helo that everyone knows but the Mi-8 seems such an odd choise...

The Mi-8 is "just a troop transport" in the same way that the Huey is "just a troop transport." In general, westerners don't have an appreciation for it because they've not been exposed to it like they have with the Huey. More Mi-8s have been produced, than Hueys, and of course Mi-8's and Mi-17s are still being produced today. The ones I am working on right now were built in 2008 and 2009. And it's already been mentioned, but it bears repeating, the Mi-8 is very much an iconic helicopter, just not in the U.S., but definitely in many other countries.

Edit: In case it matters, I'm from the U.S. and I maintain Mi-17s for a U.S. company. So while I'm a "westerner" I'm also sort of biased in favor of the Mi-8.

Edited by AlphaOneSix

The MTV modifications of Mi-8 are not only for transport, V means armed (vooruzhennyi), in fact it has 4 pilons for weapons like rockets (B-8 ), machine guns (SPPU) and bombs.

Also the latest modifications are not very ugly:

45117d1353616566-a_zinchuk_mi-8mtv-5_1200_02.jpg

Intel Core i5-2500K@4.7GHz | Noctua NH-D14 (NF-P12 + NF-P14) | MSI Z77 MPOWER | Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866MHz HX318C10FBK2/16 2x8GB |

MSI N580GTX Lightning Extreme Edition (3GB, 910MHz/1195MHz) | AOC e2236Swa | Win10 64bit | Old Good Saitek X52 Pro

Virtute Duce, Comite Fortuna!

:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]:pilotfly:

Seeing and flying the quality Belsimtek gave us with the Huey, I'm pretty eager to try this one out.

And it's leveling the playfield, with support/troop helicopters on both sides, making the multiplayer scenarios even more interesting.

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

Seriously, how can someone not like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=84029&stc=1&d=1372070910

But seriously, I am really looking forward to the MI-8. Ofcourse, it might not be everybodys all time favourite, but still it's one great looking machine in my oppinion. :thumbup:

Screen_130605_195921.thumb.jpg.36cb11b87cc0600a11a1a8ae70b779ef.jpg

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

I'll take the Mi-8 before the Huey. For me, an odd choice is sometimes the more interesting choice. It's partly why it was love at first sight when I met ED's Ka-50.

Was it an Mi-8 in Battlefield 2. I used to love coaxing people onto that thing offering them a fast ride back into the action. Mostly though, we'd never reach the action. :lol:

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

also one of the team nickname MI-8 PILOT

It is an ex-military helicopter pilot who was actually flew the MI-8

I believe that it will be the most realistic helicopter program for our PC

as is the UH-1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

also one of the team nickname MI-8 PILOT

It is an ex-military helicopter pilot who was actually flew the MI-8

I believe that it will be the most realistic helicopter program for our PC

as is the UH-1

A couple of my friends are also Mi-8 pilots, so there will be different testers for it, this helicopter is very very popular in Russia, so I think this product, will be as popular as the real heli :)

Intel Core i5-2500K@4.7GHz | Noctua NH-D14 (NF-P12 + NF-P14) | MSI Z77 MPOWER | Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866MHz HX318C10FBK2/16 2x8GB |

MSI N580GTX Lightning Extreme Edition (3GB, 910MHz/1195MHz) | AOC e2236Swa | Win10 64bit | Old Good Saitek X52 Pro

Virtute Duce, Comite Fortuna!

:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]:pilotfly:

As others have said its hopefully a step towards more complex helis from Belsimtech. Secondly we can probably have it quite soon which is good for us and the dev's revenue stream.

Of course it'll mean we'll have both East and West helicopter transports available.

As others have said its hopefully a step towards more complex helis from Belsimtech. Secondly we can probably have it quite soon which is good for us and the dev's revenue stream.

Of course it'll mean we'll have both East and West helicopter transports available.

They have already stepped it up a little. The Mi-8 is more advanced than the Huey :thumbup:

Please understand i'm not hating on anything , i would just want some info.

Once again i'm not trying to insult the developers , i will support them whatever they choose to develop , but maybe there is something amazing about the Mi-8 that i just dont know about.

Thank you

The Mi-8 is one of the most awesome helis have been build ever. When you say the Mi-8 is old, I will like to know your opinion about how old is the Huey.

You dont need open a new thread to ask for the feautures of the Mi-8, because you have a lots of Forums and Internet that can say you how efficient is this Heli. The only you have done here is expose you hatred about the Mi-8.

Anyway you have said that the Huey is a iconic and the Mi-8 is ugly and old, so this is your opinion but not the answer of your main question: Why the Mi-8?

Anyway the word Iconic could have a strong relation with the Vietnam War and Holliwood. But when you speak serious about an iconic Heli, probaly the Really iconic one is the great Mi-8.

And Sorry guy, but your words Sound like: " F*ck you!! Sorry!! "

Edited by pepin1234
  • Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Mi-8 is one of the most awesome helis have been build ever. When you say the Mi-8 is old, I will like to know your opinion about how old is the Huey.

You dont need open a new thread to ask for the feautures of the Mi-8, because you have a lots of Forums and Internet that can say you how efficient is this Heli. The only you have done here is expose you hatred about the Mi-8.

Anyway you have said that the Huey is a iconic and the Mi-8 is ugly and old, so this is your opinion but not the answer of your main question: Why the Mi-8?

Anyway the word Iconic could have a strong relation with the Vietnam War and Holliwood. But when you speak serious about an iconic Heli, probaly the Really iconic one is the great Mi-8.

I beg to differ.

az_mi-8_01_1200.jpg

mi-8mt%20002.jpg

The Mi-8 is one of the most awesome helis have been build ever. ...

The only you have done here is expose you hatred about the Mi-8.

Wound a wee bit tight, are we? ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

But he was right. Blemmen posted unrelated bullshit, what makes it hard for (the readers) to take him serious any longer :(

I mean

"it's ugly" - your personal interpretation of ugly, many may think it's not. ((don't bother us with your personal feelings, really that's not as interesting as it may sound in your ears))

"it's old" - so what most of the DCS aircraft are also.

"can't do a lot of things" - you can trap rockets or gunpods at it, it cann carry troops or lift cargo. So it's about the same as the huey only with a red star. In fact it is quite a good counterpart for the huey. So the more we all read your post, the more we think that you just wanted to troll around. And now no one will like you anymore. Wise choice man, wise choice :) ((if when you can guess correctly what game this last sentence was quoted from, you may rise again in my eyes (a bit)))

Wound a wee bit tight, are we? ;)

Yes, what he have done is like. Going now to RAZBAM Forum and say there:

" Why this old and ugly aircraft if someone is already maiking the L-39, the iconic Trainer in the world "

Come on...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

....and of course, the MI-8 is what all the cool bearded guys are riding around in overseas anyhow. So it DOES fit the bill for those of us die-hard, 'Merica, I only fly for western countries-type of flyers.

This is actually commissioned for the CIA (copies available in the gift shop).

SADfinish_edited-1.jpg

Edited by todd022
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]