TARGET MFD Programming

OK I will admit that I don't seem to be able to sit down and read all these manuals, but this one escapes me.

I run the TARGET GIU.

I create a new configuration

I assign a simple keyboard button to one of the OBS buttons on MFD1

I save the fcf file

I run the script and do an event test and the OBS button shows the keyboard key

?? How do I get that configuration to then load into the A10C? When I run the sim and go to the controllers page, the MFD configuration is the old one.

The TARGET manual goes from some basic examples of the programming to advanced scripting and that is it. What am I missing? Thanks.

John

OK I will admit that I don't seem to be able to sit down and read all these manuals, but this one escapes me.

I run the TARGET GIU.

I create a new configuration

I assign a simple keyboard button to one of the OBS buttons on MFD1

I save the fcf file

I run the script and do an event test and the OBS button shows the keyboard key

Now, start DCS and use the MFD. Target stays running.

EDIT: Don't forget to delete the conflicting assignments that are still inside DCS.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

OK, so now my event was to press the key (I have assigned the day/night HUD switch to OBS10 on the MFD). It now looks like I am getting a continuous pressing of that key as in Word it is as if I am holding the key down. What is the sequence to do a press and release in the Target program? Sorry, you answering will probably be quicker:)

John

I would have to look it up for exact details. I don't use the GUI so I haven't looked at it in years.

IIRC, when you are assigning the keystrokes, there should be a setting (on the same screen) for the button behavior. Have a look, and I will go poke around for an actual answer.

EDIT: You want to set the TYPE field (right below where you enter your keystrokes) to PULSE, it probably says HOLD right now. That should take care of it.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It was Press. I changed it to pulse and the event tester now sshows a press and release. When I go into DCS and push the button nothing happens. I have that key mapped to the HUD day/night function on the keyboard. I still need that one correct since it won't know what to do without it?

Good deal. The target manual is not the best, but with a little trial and error, it gets the job done.

One of the advantages of using the Script editor instead of the GUI is a somewhat more clear picture of what you have and have not programmed, for me anyway! ;)

What I basically ended up doing was:

Open the TARGET software and create a new configuration for the MFD. Name it and remember where you put it as you will run the config as listed below every time you want to use the new settings.

Assign NOTHING to any of the buttons.

Run the configuration.

Run the sim and remove any settings mapped to the MFD. It will now be seen as Thrustmaster Combined on the controls menu in the sim.

Find the action item you want and then assign an OBS button to it using the Thrustmaster Combined column.

Seems to be odd that the TARGET software doesn't do anything but basically load an empty profile to the sim that you then use to assign what to what. I am sure I am missing something, but it seem to work for me:)

John