Buy the Huey?

IanHenry

Hi,

As the DCS sale is now on, I'm very tempted to buy the Huey, but my only worry is how difficult it is to fly?

This might seem a daft question for experienced chopper pilots, but I have to own up to being totally incompetent using the various Helicopter's in FSX, so my question is, am I likely to be wasting my money?

Any help from owners of the Huey will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Ian. :doh:

$15.99 wasting money ????? Come on jump on it. As a sim it's not easy to fly but trust me once you master it all helicopter sims will be a cinch. I couldn't take off properly in FSX with the jetranger let alone the EH101! Now they are easy to fly after the Huey. BTW I had bought 2 copies of the huey at full price so don't even mention the money wasting part ;)

Speed is life !!!

Hi,

As the DCS sale is now on, I'm very tempted to buy the Huey, but my only worry is how difficult it is to fly?

This might seem a daft question for experienced chopper pilots, but I have to own up to being totally incompetent using the various Helicopter's in FSX, so my question is, am I likely to be wasting my money?

Any help from owners of the Huey will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Ian. :doh:

It's tough. I bought it last night and did the cold start tutorial and then (awkwardly) lifted off and flew around a bit. If you can fly any other aircraft in DCS you'll be able to fly the Huey. Landing was my issue but I'm sure I'll learn it. I literally just did the cold start then flew around and tried to land. It was sloppy but it's doable.

I should add that I do have the TM Warthog and I set my right throttle to the collective (with reversed axis) so that seems to make it a bit easier to handle the various controls.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

$15.99 wasting money ????? Come on jump on it. As a sim it's not easy to fly but trust me once you master it all helicopter sims will be a cinch. I couldn't take off properly in FSX with the jetranger let alone the EH101! Now they are easy to fly after the Huey. BTW I had bought 2 copies of the huey at full price so don't even mention the money wasting part ;)

the more difficult is better - huey is 20$ now

and all the dcs titles got easy mode - you can start with it

by the way: have you ever started to fly choppers in FSX by mouse - with mouse control this is very easy even on maximum realizm, if you already know how to fly by mouse then you can change to a joystick or to a HOTAS ;) but dont forget proper rudder handling is the most important part of all chopper handling

sign-pic4.jpg

Mouse no? I had tried with the hotas from the begining but gave up in FSX. Now that I kinda mastered crash landing the DCS huey and hovering like a kite in a hurricane, the FSX helos are easy to fly on max realism.

Yes the more difficult it is the better you learn :) so yes it's worth getting the Huey..heck even the KA-50 seems stable like a rock.

Speed is life !!!

I actually found Ka-50 to be a little bit easier to fly than the FSX helicopters, but the 50 is a little special and probably doesn't relate directly to the UH-1.

I'd say rudder pedals are 100 times more helpful in helicopter than fixed wing though. I fly without them and the twist stick feels lacking.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I was worried when I saw all the comments about how difficult it is to fly. I bought it yesterday and I was surprised... Maybe it was my previous experience with the Black Shark but I didn't find it THAT difficult control. I'm by no means good at it yet but I was able to pick it up, hover a bit and take off on my first try and survive the landing on my second try. I'd say go for it, learning is just part of the fun, ain't it?

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Many thanks for all your comments, I think I'll take advantage of the sale and get the Huey. I'm quite lucky as I already have a Thrustmaster Warthog hotas and Saitek pedals so I've got that bit covered.

Well here goes, at least it's a sim so it won't hurt much!

Regards,

Ian.

Someone at the STP group once said, he doesn't like the Warthog, he likes the Shark, because it is more about the flying itself. The Hog does most of the flying for you.

I would now add that the Shark is the Hog from the viewpoint of the Huey ;)

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Ok, I've got it, but one question (so far), how do you reverse the operation of the collective on your hotas to be more realistic?

Thanks,

Ian.

I use the right throttle and invert the axis. This makes it so you push forward on the right throttle to lower the collective and pull back on the throttle to raise it.

I'm wondering if I can map the left throttle to the actual chopper throttle. I'm sure I can but I left it at the Page Up and Page Down buttons last night while playing for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nobody has mentioned producing a box but as the product is still in beta, anything is possible.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: