Summer sale buyers sound off

Fishbreath

Just bought it. Totally confused by the fact that the throttle changes manifold pressure and does nothing for RPM/speed.....so I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to work the throttle and RPM lever with one physical throttle :P

Has anyone else noticed an apparent lack of adverse yaw? I never have to use my rudder in a turn and when I try it's so sensitive I yaw all over the place.

Edited by Nealius

Just bought it. Totally confused by the fact that the throttle changes manifold pressure and does nothing for RPM/speed.....so I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to work the throttle and RPM lever with one physical throttle :P

Has anyone else noticed an apparent lack of adverse yaw? I never have to use my rudder in a turn and when I try it's so sensitive I yaw all over the place.

I'm lucky enough to have some spinny wheels on my throttle for the engine speed. :P Before I got my current throttle, I just mapped two buttons to it in Il-2 and the like—one for higher engine speed, one for lower.

I notice a teensy bit of adverse yaw, but the Mustang seems not to call for very much rudder once it's trimmed. The pedals take the lightest touch to coordinate turns, and otherwise it seems to me to be mainly a stick-and-throttle airplane.

It's also a handful on the ground, but not quite as much of one as I expected from the forum. Once I worked out that locking the tailwheel doesn't work unless you're already going pretty straight with the tailwheel free-swiveling, and properly calibrated my toe brakes, I had taxiing pretty much down, and I tried three takeoffs (two with 100% assist, one with 0%), one regular landing, and one belly landing (I wasn't paying attention to the oil temperature and pressure gauges, and eventually the oil stopped oiling), and none of them seemed too hard (the missing landing was a bit of an augur, since I forgot to switch to the fuselage tank after takeoff, and ended up in an inverted spin at about 500 feet after half of a loop).

The regular landing was a bit tricky for me, though, because I was following the slope indicator lights rather than an approach suited to the P-51's lengthy snout, and I was still a few hundred feet up and a good distance away from the field when I could no longer see the runnway. I still got it down, but I think I'm going to have to fly a much lower-power, steeper approach going forward, so that I can actually see the edges of the runway when I'm transitioning into the flare.

Still, it's a hoot to fly, and I can't wait to shoot down my friend's A-10 the next time we get a chance to play.

roob, I actually got the Huey, too, but the P-51 is almost certainly easier to learn and easier to fly, and I'm taking things one at a time here.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Oh gawd taxiing. I have much better luck hitting the L/R wheel brakes to turn; I gave up on unlocking the tail wheel. I would unlock it, give full right rudder and the plane would turn left and then the tail wheel would get stuck in whatever position it was in and wouldn't straighten out :joystick:

TimeKilla, reporting for duty! :yay:

I will be on the Virtual Aero server later Time if you need some help with the Mustang :)

Get on teamspeak :p

As for one of the other questions, the manifold pressure and prop RPM being tied together is a very bad idea, start reading up about engine management in the mustang, if you try and sync the two as you would expect a modern throttle to work then you will blow up alot of engines

If in doubt ask, or pop in the VA server there is usually a P51 pilot around to help most of the time

Pman

I meant "tied together" as in you have to operate both of them. I haven't looked at the manual but the training missions make it seem like you have to adjust both of them independently whenever you want to increase your speed.

I meant "tied together" as in you have to operate both of them. I haven't looked at the manual but the training missions make it seem like you have to adjust both of them independently whenever you want to increase your speed.

Generally as follows

Increase RPM then manifold to desired setting in that order and when decreasing do manifold then RPM

What settings you use largely depends on what your doing, I dont do combat in the P51 so I cant help there, but I do alot of Aerobatics in it, both in and out of formation

Pman

Anyone know how to get the wheel brakes to work on Saitek combat pro rudder pedals?

Did you invert them in the Axis Tune window?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Generally as follows

Increase RPM then manifold to desired setting in that order and when decreasing do manifold then RPM

What settings you use largely depends on what your doing, I dont do combat in the P51 so I cant help there, but I do alot of Aerobatics in it, both in and out of formation

Pman

Man, I can't imagine holding a formation while having to manipulate the throttle and RPM lever at the same time :shocking:

I'm recommending (forcing) my friends to buy the A-10C and the P-51D, so you'll have about 2-3 new A-10C/P-51D players at least ;)

See you on the Virtual Aerobatics server!

haha, that is exactly what i'm doing. I just picked out a few friends, who don't play flight games at all, only bf3 and cod, stuff like that, and telling them : you are going to play DCS with me over the summer. Even though they're kind of confused that they're being forced to play a combat flight sim, im sure they'll like it XD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think it's generally okay to use the throttle alone for small adjustments—the big thing you don't want to be doing is low RPM/high throttle, as I understand.

That is generally correct from what I've seen. I don't see much of a reason to ever go below 2400 RPM. And the throttle is much more tolerant of quick movements than the RPM lever. Try not to bog down the engine ever... it will let you know when it's been mishandled. :cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

I just went for a spin after the start up training mission and it wasn't too bad. I generally kept the RPM above 2500 and didn't have too many problems. Blew up a school bus at the airport, then did a seat-of-the-pants-no-fricken-clue-what-I'm-doing landing that wasn't too shabby :lol:

I have been wanting to buy the Mustang for quite a long time and when I knew about this sale I decided this was the perfect time.Im still going through the tutorials, but so far Im really impressed.WW2 birds are my thing, so if they actually get to flesh out a ww2 theater with a few more planes with this standard, they will definitely hit a home run.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the manifold pressure and prop RPM being tied together is a very bad idea, start reading up about engine management in the mustang, if you try and sync the two as you would expect a modern throttle to work then you will blow up alot of engines

If in doubt ask, or pop in the VA server there is usually a P51 pilot around to help most of the time

Pman

Thanks buddy ill pop on TS next time am on need to speak to you about this RPM and Manifold stuff as very confused :)

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

I took the Mustang up and shot at some trucks after work today. I'm going to need some practice with the HVARs, but my machine gunnery was pretty good, and I neither blew up my engine nor failed to land (just bounced a bit)! I'll take it.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

The UH-1H is bought and installed...

...and what a great experience it is... minigun galore and FFAR heaven, all one can wish for...

Not to mention the supercool NOE flying and helicopter energy management fun...

This thing simply kicks ass!!! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...