Strange HUD SPI Behavior

UCAS

I've seen some odd behavior as well. Basically the HUD spi indicator will say 270 and point left, so I'll turn that way, then when it gets to 180, the spi indicator is directly in front, then jumps to the side of the hud and starts working normally. Weird.

I've seen some odd behavior as well. Basically the HUD spi indicator will say 270 and point left, so I'll turn that way, then when it gets to 180, the spi indicator is directly in front, then jumps to the side of the hud and starts working normally. Weird.

That's exactly the case.

Did you repair anything?? There is a bug that does not repair all systems. this can result in weird navigation systems...

I did a complete re-install about a week or so ago because DCS wasn't loading at all.

Sometimes pointing up, pointing in the wrong direction, degrees > 180. Track attached. It's when I go for the GAZ-66 group (TRK waypoint 7) and a couple of other times. Seems to do it a lot on this mission.

OK, I had a spare 5 mins so I took a look at your track. I am not 100% sure what you are talking about, but if it is what happens for the few minutes after you engage targets at waypoint 7 then your problem is this:

By default your SPI is your waypoint. So when you start a mission you can cycle through waypoints and your SPI will follow. However, after you designate a SPI with and SOI using TMS fwd long, your waypoint is no longer SPI, it is wherever you have designated or are a pointing your SOI. In your case your SPI is whatever your TGP is looking at. If your TGP moves, your SPI will move. You will notice this when you first run in to your targets at WP 7. You turn sharply and your TGP cannot keep up, so your SPI wanders for a second and then returns to its correct place.

After waypoint 7 your TGP gets stuck in gimbal roll, so essentially your pod cant turn any more as it has run out of gimbal freedom. This is indicated by the GIMB ROLL on your TGP. This means your TGP can no longer point where you want it to, it will try its best but instead it will point somewhere random. Because your TGP is pointing somewhere random (like up in the air, the side of your fueslage, your wing etc) your SPI will also be flying around the place in random directions. This is where your SPI indicator is going.

I noticed that you try changing waypoints, was that to try and remedy the situation? Remember your waypoint isn't SPI, you need to use TMS aft long to make the waypoint SPI again. Until then your SPI will follow your pod in any random direction.

What you needed to do there was try boresighting your TGP, or turn in the direction of the gimbal roll arrow to try and unwind your pod. Once you have got rid of your gimbal issue, select TMS aft long to make your steerpoint your SPI, select steerpoint 7 and then slew TGP to it.

Edited by Kaiza
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

• 9 months later...

Sounds like the TGP/MAV is slaved to a point directly behind or out of vecor range with the boresight of the sensors, perhaps a targeted steerpoint or SPI at a different location to your current one.

Try clearing your SPI with TMS Long Down (long press "LCtrl" + "Down Arrow"),

Then with the HUD as SOI or the UFC rocker switch, Make sure your current selected steerpoint is the nearest one to your desired target.

Finally with the TGP or MAV set as SOI, center the camera to bore with china hat aft ( "C" ) or slew to current steerpoint with china hat forewards ( "V" ).

Also;

When the TGP is in INR or GIMB ROLL mode it is masked (can't see the target), there will be a M on the TGP MFD and the HUD, you won't be able to track the target as the TGP is masked.

Bank the jet until the M is gone , then (with the TGP set as SOI) slew/zoom to the target and designate it as SPI by long-pressing "Left Ctrl" + "Up arrow".

Once the target is designated as SPI and the TGP is not masked, tracking should be easy to maintain.

When turning and tracking you may need to use shallow turns combined with shallow climbs or dives to maintain the "L" .

Watch for the TGP Diamond, the wedding cake SPI, and the highlighted steerpoint on the TADS (moving map) display to help clarify the situation.

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

Edited by Drunken_Skull

Stuka Pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel

War of the Rats by David L. Robbins

Ghost Force: The Secret History of the SAS by Ken Connor