Do you have to buy rudder pedals for the chopper Sims?

As the title says - Do you have to buy rudder pedals for these chopper Sims? Or could I get away with just using a stick? I ask this because all the videos I see of the chopper pilots (Mainly Huey). Are of people flying around and swaying all over the place, like they cannot hold a straight line.

If you're on a tight budget, you could maybe get by with the Thrustmaster T-Flight wotcha or something else with an analog rocker switch for rudder, but given how often you need rudder opposite your stick position, I agree that stick twist probably wouldn't cut it.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

I dearly need an upgrade. Will probably do so in a couple of weeks. As it stands all I have is this crappy Cyborg X stick(but you get what you pay for right?) and Track IR 4.

:megalol: I had that stick and thought it was SO AWESOME until I got an x52... and I was floored by now much better it was. Even the stick itself!

Now I have an x52 pro and I want an x65...

I haven't played with the x65 yet, but given how close the prices come on ebay, splurge and get the 52pro, skip the vanilla 52. Worth the extra 20-40 you'll spend.

• Like 1

I'm getting away with just the stick twist on my X52 Pro. I just completed the first (12-mission) Black Shark campaign this past weekend. I've also flown around a bit in the Huey.

I own a set of Saitek rudder pedals, and I've used them with Black Shark before, but I'm not using them now because I've switched to a standing desk for my PC.

Having the rudder on stick-twist probably requires more manual dexterity because you've got to control another axis while doing everything else on the stick. And using the pedals is certainly a different feeling due to the larger scale of motion and the need for hand-leg coordination.

I'd say invest in a quality stick (like the X52 Pro) with a good twist axis first, and see how that feels to you. It's possible to fly the sims with just a good HOTAS, and then it's always an easy upgrade to add the rudder pedals when you have the cash / want more immersion.

:megalol: I had that stick and thought it was SO AWESOME until I got an x52... and I was floored by now much better it was. Even the stick itself!

I haven't played with the x65 yet, but given how close the prices come on ebay, splurge and get the 52pro, skip the vanilla 52. Worth the extra 20-40 you'll spend.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. But I'd like pedals too. I hear you can pull out a pin and lose the yaw in the stick, is it stable enough, or should I just go with the CH pro stuff for $300+?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

what do you get for the extra 20-40 dollars anyhow?

Only have BS2 so can't comment on the Huey but I can say that with pedals it is a much more enjoyable experience. I have an X52 (standard not pro) and before getting a pair of Saitek pro pedals I was using the twist on the joystick for rudder. It's doable and you can fly well enough with it but it feels very unnatural, in a helicopter you are combining cyclic with rudder input all the time and having to have your hand twisted at an angle while banking or pitching feels quite awkward, also the range of motion on the twist is very limited.

If you want an even more natural feel on the pedals outside of what they provide out the box then use Peters mod and remove the detent and if you want even more remove the spring and replace it with rubber bands, since doing this my pedals feel so responsive and fluid.