maintaining consistent altitude

thrawn

Does anyone here know of good ways other than the VSI & altimeter to detect altitude changes in the Huey? I have been trying to perfect my flying techniques but I have noticed that the instruments(realistically) lag a bit behind the helicopter's actual condition. So I've been looking for other indications to keep myself flying level or in a controlled decent.

My idea right now to get a better picture of this is to get my head tracking working again. But I'm still hunting down windows 7 drivers for my webcam to get freetrack working again.

• 1 month later...

By the time your change in height registers on the altimeter or the VSI, you've already gone up or down and the aircraft's attitude is out of sync with straight and level flight. To avoid unwanted changes in altitude, assuming you have some airspeed, you need primarily to watch the attitude indicator/artificial horizon. Keep the top centre of the 'W' in the centre of the thingy and you will stay at the right height.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks guys. Sounds like I just need to practice more. Although it also sounds like an investment in monitors or getting my headtracking going might be beneficial as well

Head tracking certainly helps. Looking down while your taxiing and hovering is most useful.

But having enough FPS is key to smooth control. You can get away with a lower FPS in the planes but not in the huey.

AMD 3600X- 32GB RAM - Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080Ti - 512GB NVme Samsung 830 256Gb 840 256Gb SSD - Track IR 4.0 + TrackClip Pro - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - WarBRD base mount and extention - Simped F16/USB (Stolen!) - Thrustmaster T-flight pedals (spew)

DCS KA-50 Blackshark 1 & 2; DCS P-51 Mustang; DCS A-10C Warthog; DCS UH-1 Huey; DCS F-86F; DCS Mi-8MTV2; DCS Mig-21bis; DCS: AV-8b; DCS: Spitfire IX; DCS: NS430; DCS: Combined Arms; Lock On Flaming Cliffs 3; Rise of Flight; IL2:1946;

Some days it feels like you're just locked to a rail without feeling like you're watching the gauges. Other days not so good. Time, practice and lot of little visual clues start to take hold in your subconscious.

And making friends with the trimmer function can help all flying attitudes a LOT. Leaving the "Central Position Trimmer Mode" unchecked and mapping a convenient stick button works best for me. But the advice you see from others throughout these forums to Trim - Trim - Trim really helps EVERYTHING when flying this bird. ( Your individual results may vary ) Honestly, the time you spend getting comfortable with trimming will pay off big time.

Edited by lorenzoj

• 1 month later...