Skin Release : U.S. Naval Test Pilot School

marker

Hey guys.

Releasing the 1st version of the skin below. I have uploaded it to the user files within DCS, but as always, we may have to wait a while for it to become live.

So in the meantime, I have uploaded to the forum.

Please be critical with your comments if needed, any little things that need fixed, please let me know! Apart from the front of the landing gear, I need someone to tell me where the uncoloured parts are within the skin!

DddVVyu.jpg

ruazTIL.jpg

Edited by marker

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

Skin is available from DCS world file downloads now!

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/358252/

Again, any criticism, please let me know!

Got the inside skinned for the next release, just need to try and work out how to keep it skinned while viewing from outside!

I've dowloaded this because 1) I like cool skins and lots of options and 2) I like to reskin the air frames myself and look to other nice designs to help me learn how.

First of all...nice skin and excellent work. Keep it up!

Second....mine did not work at all. My first problem stemmed from the PSD file only having 2 texture files in it (the main body and the tail) while the UH-1 model has many more files. Since many of those are the pilot, gunner, and weapon files that's okay. But what is the "cover" file? It looks like control surfaces or stabilizers? What about the first 4 lines of .lua file? Are those damaged files for when the Huey takes damage at different levels? That seems to be the case but I'm just not sure.

More importantly, when I did copy my textures into my folder in the "liveries" folder they don't show up in the game. It perplexes me because I also don't get the orange "missing texture" look that I get on the A-10 if I mess up the .lua file or don't save the textures in the proper place. The UH-1 just looks like one of the normal UH-1 skins. It's the dark green Air Cav skin I guess. If I put the names in the .lua incorrectly or put a "true" or a "false" in when it should have been the other, I would get an orange skin, right? That's what confuses me the most.

Anyway, thanks for your skin. It has helped me a bit looking at your textures and your .lua file. I have a couple of A-10C skins that worked out so I figured this would be almost the same and either it isn't or I've just messed something up that I can't find.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The cover file is the white engine cowling parts you see on the above pics.

Belsimtek never released the psd files for those, so I just created my own, by adding layer upon layer in Photoshop.

True within a texture line means that it uses the texture from the default folder.

False, means that it will use the texture defined and will be within the folder the description.lua file is in.

You can also change the internal parts as well, I am sure you will find the .dds files within

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Uh-1H\Cockpit\Resources\Model\Textures then within the texture.zip file.

They are the same as the cover.dds file, you will need to create layers on top of them as well.

Yeah the released .psd files are the basic version of the huey, green in colour!

Hope that helps mate!

The cover file is the white engine cowling parts you see on the above pics.

Belsimtek never released the psd files for those, so I just created my own, by adding layer upon layer in Photoshop.

True within a texture line means that it uses the texture from the default folder.

False, means that it will use the texture defined and will be within the folder the description.lua file is in.

You can also change the internal parts as well, I am sure you will find the .dds files within

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Uh-1H\Cockpit\Resources\Model\Textures then within the texture.zip file.

They are the same as the cover.dds file, you will need to create layers on top of them as well.

Yeah the released .psd files are the basic version of the huey, green in colour!

Hope that helps mate!

There was a layered .psd file that I downloaded somewhere (don't recall where and I can't find it) that only had the main texture and the tail texture.

Thanks, I see the cover now. That makes sense and I think I have it more or less textured the way I want it now.

I've got all my textures listed in the .lua with false and all the ones I'm using stock textures of as true, so that should be fine. But when I go into the mission editor and select my skin, then play the mission it just has the regular Air Cav UH-1 skin. So I'm not sure what's up. I would expect to see missing textures if I messed up a line.

I'll keep messing with it. Thanks for your help.

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Upload the file some where mate, I and probably a few others will take a a look at it!

Are you choosing the Heli you named in the description.lua file?

Upload the file some where mate, I and probably a few others will take a a look at it!

Are you choosing the Heli you named in the description.lua file?

Yeah, it's the first one in the list so when I go into the ordinance/load out screen I just make sure it's selected in the drop down skin list.

I hesitate to upload it because if it's broken people will waste their time on it. I guess I could name it something that would cause people to pass it over!

But I've successfully made and used several A-10C skins. It's weird that I can't even get it to give me a missing texture file.

I just had an idea that I'll try out and see if it works, then I'll post here if I figure it out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Upload and pm me the link, I'll have a look tonight when I get home from work.

I've got it uploading on the DCS user files website. If it get's approved I'll send you a PM with the link. I looked it over last night at home and couldn't figure out where I was going wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Mate

All sorted... Very nice skin.

l8Pe62j.jpg

It was very easy to spot, I use notepad++ to do a lot of my editing and scripting within ARMA2/3.

I also use it to edit any lua file. The way it is set up lets me see the open and closing brackets and the code within it..

Look below and see the difference between ours.

Mine below, you will see the red bar to the left hand side shows all the code within the brackets!

feTC86o.jpg

Yours below as it came.

JFBoenJ.jpg

You will see the difference, it is because you had two } on the line where the red line at the side ends..

That is all...

Also, add

name = "311th Air Cavalry"

Above country!..

• Like 1

Hi Mate

All sorted... Very nice skin.

It was very easy to spot, I use notepad++ to do a lot of my editing and scripting within ARMA2/3.

I also use it to edit any lua file. The way it is set up lets me see the open and closing brackets and the code within it..

Look below and see the difference between ours.

Mine below, you will see the red bar to the left hand side shows all the code within the brackets!

Yours below as it came.

You will see the difference, it is because you had two } on the line where the red line at the side ends..

That is all...

Also, add

name = "311th Air Cavalry"

Above country!..

THANKS! I've been using Notepad++ but I didn't notice the red bars and didn't know that was a feature. Very handy. Thanks for spotting it and for the tip on using that program.

Thanks again, +REP!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]