Ground Effect

bkthunder

Just wondering if and to what extend is ground effect modeled in The P-51 and, more generally, in DCS.

Thanks

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

that's funny, considering I was doing an experiment yesterday moving over water with gears down, and as I trimmed nose heavy, the mustang started to sink slowly then leveled off again.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, ground effect is very well modeled in DCS World, and landing, for instance, the p51d is a nice way of testing it.... You pull the stick and it really feels like you're on "cushion effect" for a while. Can be tempting to give manche and enter porpoising!!!

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

... You pull the stick and it really feels like you're on "cushion effect" for a while. Can be tempting to give manche and enter porpoising!!!

Aye, add turbulence to truly experience the 'marshmallow' effect :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Cool!

I was doing some tests too and noticed that I get a 3 - 4 kts gain when flying in ground effect. Haven't noticed the "air cushion" effect that much on landing though...

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Cool!

I was doing some tests too and noticed that I get a 3 - 4 kts gain when flying in ground effect. Haven't noticed the "air cushion" effect that much on landing though...

This sort of detail / accuracy of the FDM in DCS World is what makes this sim UNIQUE!!!

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

If you try the Huey, you'll see the WIG effect is modelled over building roofs etc - get a reasonably heavy Huey into a hover over a large roof, then move off and the Chopper sill sink then re-establish the hover over the ground...

Cheers.