What to quickly and systematically check after getting shot at?

WildBillKelsoe

This sounds like a stupid question, but all the time, you're focusing on 'saddling' him, and just as you're getting in position to fire, the engine quits or stutters, and you take a look at the oil temperature, to find it on the red mark.

In my opinion, the following should be checked quickly and in sequence described herein after being hit:

1- Fuel gauges

2- Oil temperature

3- RPM gauge (Tachometer)

4- MP gauge

5- Suction gauge

+ Coolant temperature

+Carb air temperature

6- Battery amps

7- Hydraulic pressure

8- K-14 lamp and sight

9- Guns firing or not (1 tap on the trigger)

10- Flaps working or not (might leave that one till the end of engagement as its dependent on #7 which also brings us to)

11- Fairing doors and landing gears lever (check working or not, but be under 170 mph!!!)

12- Oxygen flow indicator

13- Radio circuit (check for comms working or not)

14- ROC indicator

15- Directional gyro

16- RIC

17- Bank and turn indicator

18- Altimeter

19- Supercharger high blower light off (if under 15,000 ft)

20- Accelerometer

I nominate 1-6 as critical, 7-12 as semi-critical, and 13-20 as non-critical.

What do you guys think? This is all during an engagement.

Also, I've been meaning to ask, if your engine overspeeds, what is the likely position you got hit at? You can use ED model viewer for illustrations, printscrn and share!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Also, I've been meaning to ask, if your engine overspeeds, what is the likely position you got hit at?

Most likely the prop spinner, since i don't think that the other parts of the RPM governor are exposed.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Most likely the prop spinner, since i don't think that the other parts of the RPM governor are exposed.

The most interesting part is that you can get shot from the rear and still lose your prop governor. That is one hell of a bullet :) Also I'm still wondering how you can lose your gun sight so easily. It's one of the most commonly damaged items from what I've seen, which doesn't seem right.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

AND as far as first things to check after being hit? FIRST check for Pilot loss of fluids. smile.gif Then Oil pressure, Fuel pressure followed by Coolant temp and Oil temp. I'd skip actually checking the fuel levels while in the heat of combat. You will immediately know if you're out of fuel or have a fuel distribution issue if your fuel pressure gauge is tanked. (which is a quick glance)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

First and foremost, look for fire or structural damage. You won't fly for much longer IN COMBAT if you're missing a wing tip.

I got hit in on the wing the other day by a fw190 and had fire coming out, but i flipped that plane around and got the guy. u can still fight even under extreme damage, need i say another example. BUT I DID CRASH SHORTLY AFTER SHOOTING HIM DOWN.

Eli'jah

487th Squadron

Section Leader

how do I check the prop spinner?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.