Pilot aborts landing after runway disappears

jay43

As the tittle check this video out http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/pilot-aborts-landing-after-runway-disappears/1j48uax4a

That's gotta be scary I would crap myself in DCS if this happened and in the real world I would quite literally dump in my underwear.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

It's called go-around to a missed approach...nothing scary about it.

Yes I know what its called but come on if you're in that seat and it happens to you I don't care who you are or how many hours flying you have your heart has got to miss a beat or two and your belly is going to be full of butterflies.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Anytime you are below published minimums and do not have visual on the runway it can be dangerous. I have a feeling these guys either were on a second approach or had a good PIREP from the tower, they were very calm. For me it can be disorientating if im not prepared to fly into IMC ,but im no 10000/hr ATP either

Yes I know what its called but come on if you're in that seat and it happens to you I don't care who you are or how many hours flying you have your heart has got to miss a beat or two and your belly is going to be full of butterflies.

No.

It's called training. Pilots have it. :)

First of all, note that he has a HUD.

Second, the situation is this:

1) I no longer see where I'm going.

2) I throttle up.

3) Well, whatever, be back later. (Or use those 45m of extra fuel I'm legally required to hold towards diverting to a clear field.)

(Yes, you don't even need to move the stick to solve the situation, just throttle up and then verify that yout TVV goes above the horizon on your HUD. Remember: do NOT fly your approach on stick. Use your throttle. :) )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I've not been in this specific situation, but I've been in other very dangerous situations (including seeing another aircraft suddenly swish by head-on).

Yes, there was butterflies and nerves; when I had landed. Because that's when I had time to think about what had just happened. :)

Before that, I was too busy to get nervous. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Remember: do NOT fly your approach on stick. Use your throttle.

The IFH says to pitch for the ILS needle but you would already have set your power configuration for the right glide angle. Pitching for the needle provides for a faster response.

It's one of those exceptions to the rule but it's likely stated in the handbook because the reader is already expected to know control and performance aspect of attitude instrument flying.

Hi,

I've not been in this specific situation, but I've been in other very dangerous situations (including seeing another aircraft suddenly swish by head-on).

Yes, there was butterflies and nerves; when I had landed. Because that's when I had time to think about what had just happened. :)

Before that, I was too busy to get nervous. :)

This is very true! I noticed it on my first solo flight. Before it, I always thought I gonna be nervous as hell. But as soon as I throttled up for the takeoff roll, all remaining nervousness was gone.

However, as I was back on the ground again, after getting out of the aircraft, me knees where shaking as hell, and I still wonder why they didn't collapsed.

During flying you just don't have time for being nervous, like you don't have time to think about a mistake (messed up approach, or whatever) you eventually made.

You can be nervous and think about whatever you want when you are back on the ground safely. :thumbup:

I had some stressful situations in the few flying hours I have, and one thing was very common in all of them:

Feeling the adrenaline rush through your body, once you are on the ground.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled