any info for making "flyable" vehicles and ships?

I open this post to ask the ED team on the development or availability of the realization of addons / mods playable land vehicles or vessels by the community.

While a modeler can create IA objects (with serious limitations as to the capacity) of vessels and vehicles. There is no method about to add a cockpit to make pilotable, albeit through "export" of an existing or create a new one from scratch, copying or LUA or DLL created by using the model "Wonderluft" for (when trying to make "flyable" (pilotable) one the above model (land or sea), this does not allow the option of "Human" Skill section of the editor), or vehicles / ships "sunk" into terrain.

A portion of the community would be very interested to create these models (and improve the experience of DCS: W), including the ability to create in the future MODs (and if lucky, addons and 3rd Parties).

ED would be very interesting that a ruling on the matter and give specifics data or an example like a land / sea "Wonderluft", to do testings and test functionality in DCS: W, reporting that it works and that the development team, giving something more "flyable" objects to the community.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

(with serious limitations as to the capacity)

What do you mean here?

You can add AI (or DCS:CA) objects with the same properties as ED's ones. You can create your own basic sensors, weapons, create your custom chassis with its own caracteristics etc

But I agree, possibiliy to add your own systems through DLLs and customs 3D cockpits would be nice!

But I guess it's not a priority!

No, no....... sorry if confused, my question as to make "pilotable" a vehicle or ship. The community has not a example to build your vehicles or ships (no IA) into DCS:W (the "Wonderluft" file only give the option to make "flyable" (pilotable) a airplane or a helo. No a ship or vehicle).

Edited by Silver_Dragon

I have made a "Pilotable" tank/gun right here, you helped me out with it.

What else to you need?

All the source files are Here

Edit: After thinking about what you want, I realized that you need Combined Arms to drive ground vehicles and at the moment you cannot have a "flyable slot" for a ground vehicle like "T-80" just a combined arms slot.

I guess ED will not give this functionality away for free as it is a paid for product in CA. Maybe when someone makes a Tank or SAM sim module for DCS we will see a "flyable spot" for specific ground vehicles implemented.

Edited by jib

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

• 2 months later...

This is what I want too. Playable infantry and vehicles like in Crysis Wars and Arma 2 and 3. FPS if you will. I was just playing some Arma and Crysis games and while the vehicles and soldiers are decent, the aircraft simulation is HORRIBLE. I'm thinking, man, if I could just put this stuff into DCS on a small map, it would be AWESOME!

What we need is an editor so we can make a small map, say the size of Arma 3's big island ( or even some small Crysis size ones! ), and then bring in custom objects and textures to populate it. Most of the map can be sea to bring down the strain on the CPU. Then we just need third parties to start making realistic infantry and vehicle mods. I'd MUCH rather play in DCS than Arma. I can just imagine winding through large hills in a Ka-50, attacking human controlled tanks and infantry on the roads. The only reason Arma's REALLY OLD engine is still around, is because they are still the most serious Battlefield type simulation there is. If DCS put in small island maps, and realistic vehicles and infantry, I guarantee it would be the END of Arma. All the serious Arma players would come over to DCS. Most serious Arma players are fuming over the influx of DayZ and Wasteland "kiddies" who end up ruining serious games by TKing, being stupid, and generally ruining games. We are really looking for a new home. DCS could be it, if only you would put in FPS and Vehicles on a better landscape. You really could be the new "World".

Edited by Bigby Wolf

In near future, you can make maps via EDGE (tomorrow RRG studios present a new map "video" (expected) make with that new engine). but the size of the stage is the least of no worry at this point, what we discuss here, is like armour and ships "flyable" in DCS: W (a feature promised in the capabilities of the latter). Hopefully it will not take long to be fulfilled.

what you could do is make a map that has a small area (well small for DCS fans) that is very detailed, and then make the rest of the map much less detailed, where the infantry and player controlled vehicles wont be able to venture, this way the ground forces have their nicely detailed scenery with micro terrain, and the jets get their huge map, now implementing is probably really hard, but newer engines can already do this (maybe even older ones) where one part of the map has a mesh thats higher detail than the rest, and the map creator can pick which parts he wants to look better and which he doesnt.

• ED Team

With my trial and error with my 88 gun, I have found that some features for things like defining a new shell types just arent available right now in the release we have, I hope that they include these at some point but for right now some of these things are limited to some extent.... of course its possible that some of this stuff is restricted to 3rd parties... but this is all things I dont know...

In near future, you can make maps via EDGE (tomorrow RRG studios present a new map "video" (expected) make with that new engine). but the size of the stage is the least of no worry at this point, what we discuss here, is like armour and ships "flyable" in DCS: W (a feature promised in the capabilities of the latter). Hopefully it will not take long to be fulfilled.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

For smaller maps that can then have more detail, all you have to do is make islands surrounded by vast ocean ( Arma, Crysis ). Pretty easy to do. Just stick a carrier offshore for helicopters and jets to lauch off of. Crysis Wars did this with beach, and we launched VTOLs and Heli's from it. On beach, we even had a submarine sitting off the shore where troops were deployed by boats or just swam to shore (watch out for the BIG sharks!)

As for missing functions and classes to make Arma and Crysis like vehicles, FPS, etc., yeah I'm sure DCS hasn't made those yet. I'm hoping they'll let third parties do it (there are a lot of good FPS game type programmers out there! ), and they can stay concentrated on their excellent flight sims. Give us some players and vehicles to pick up in the Huey and the Mi-8!

This game could be a MUCH BETTER Arma! I would love to see some good Crysis Wars maps like Beach, Shore, and Mesa crossed over as well, as they are really fun!

You flyboys have it too easy. Come low if you dare!

Edited by Bigby Wolf

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team
Sorry by refloat that post, a half year to the last entry and no news.... only a far incoming "update" to CA (1.5) say by Wags. someone would have told me that until we have some. dlls available s, never can see a flyable ship / vehicle into DCS: W. I think the wait will be very long.

There has been some updates to help with DCS modding, such as you can now create custom ammunition in your mod where you couldnt before... so its slowly getting better....

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

There has been some updates to help with DCS modding, such as you can now create custom ammunition in your mod where you couldnt before... so its slowly getting better....

Any news about fixed wiki or improved docs for public? Right now all the info is scattered around, and it's impossible to find all of that.

• ED Team
Any news about fixed wiki or improved docs for public? Right now all the info is scattered around, and it's impossible to find all of that.

That I dont know about, I would love to see better public docs myself. As for the wiki, I am not sure of its status, I know there was some issues about updating it, but not sure where that stands.

64Sig.png

So I Can Build Vietnam Era Drop Tanks and Bombs now?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 year later...
I though ED would allows individuals to create their own vehicles and islands. Since the development of the A10C, but what happened? I looking to try it next year 2016, hoping to gather information.

You can email me at NCraig3367@Aol.com

You can make ground vehicles relatively easily. You can make aircrafts, too, but it is a tad bit more complicated. And if you get accepted as 3rd party dev, you can make more advanced aircraft and iirc also maps (not yet, though, but afaik it is planned by ED to make the tools available for 3rd party devs).

There is a lot of information available here on these forums, but there is no manual available (like "Making DCS Vehicles in 21" or "DCS modding for Dummies" ;o). You will have to do some research by yourself.

But if you have specific questions, I bet you will find a lot of help here around.

• 1 month later...

You can make 'easy' stuff easily. The other night I tried to make a laser guided artillery round or a laser guided rocket round. Why? - I watched video from fifteen years ago showing these weapons in use. They use the technology used in LGBs - it is not science fiction. Still it is not possible to re-use DCS LGB code for this purpose.

I found some tricks but they fall short of working example. So this is an example which cannot be made.

Also I challenge any one of you to make a working torpedo. Show me the easy method. :)