ATC System Wish List

Aginor

Hi there!

There are some ATC threads already but I want to make another in order to not just complain but try to help the ED guys by suggesting solutions that could be an option to implement.

I just did some experiments with the ATC (busy airport scenario, some aircraft taking off and others landing). I noticed there are some improvements compared to BS and I like them, even though some seem to be not perfect. But I like it because it shows that things are improving.

So I want to make a small list and invite other users to add things. Please make your posts structured and try to use existing numbers to refer to certain problems, so the thread stays well readable:

I'll just begin with what I noticed most Feel free to correct me and/or add points to the list.

0. in FC2 and BS there was the famous "traffic jam" bug on airports. Airplanes waited on the hold short position because others were landing, and they basically blocked each other because the departing ones tried to use the same taxiway as the landing ones. The same happened sometimes in front of hangars. AI wingmen blocked each other while rolling out of the hangar.

This seems to be gone, which is good. The AI now uses other taxiways. But sometimes it isn't completely satisfactory, planes tend to turn around on the runways of at least some airports and roll all the way down the runway, blocking it for quite some time. They don't crash or produce traffic jams, it just doesn't look that good.

So I guess that's not a very high priority. I don't have a possible solution for that either.

1. The ATC obviously sometimes gives landing clearance although the runway is still occupied.

Combined with point 0 this can be quite severe. Today I watched a C-130 turning around to use another taxiway and rolling to the other end of the runway. It seems the tower didn't notice because two F-18 got permission to land, which they did.

possible solutions: Either the AI has to make another check whether the runway is occupied when there are planes in final approach, or the AI must have a timeout after a plane landed, for example two or three minutes where there are no planes allowed to roll, land, or takeoff. Everyone who tries to get clearance to land, roll, or depart gets a negative.

2. This is less important, but it seems that the AI is neither using both sides of the runway nor does it use more than one runway on an airport which has two. I'm not sure though, I have to change the wind direction and check that.

I understand that managing several runways is more difficult than having just one, so this might be hard to fix. I'll suggest focusing on more important problems for now.

3. I think the tower does not tell the player to use another taxiway in order to avoid conflicts with other aircraft. This is also a minor problem but since it seems that AI aircraft are now capable of judging which taxiway to use it would be nice if the player would get that information as well.

4. I think I remember the AI being capable of taking off in pairs in LockOn or FC. I'm not completely sure but I think it is a pity that this doesn't seem to be possible in A10. This is low priority as well but I wanted to mention it.

EDIT

5. This is not really an ATC problem, but would it be possible to "deactivate" aircraft once they are inside a hangar so they simply vanish a minute or so after the hangar doors are closed? That way they wouldn't use ressources anymore, which is always good.

6. When I land then sometimes my wingman crashes. I think he doesn't realize I am actually landing. And since I am very slow (with flaps down and so on) he doesn't succeed in staying in formation. Instead he crashes on the airport when he tries to break away.

I think I forgot at least one thing... I'll edit this post if I remember it.

That's it for now.

Edited by Aginor

In regard to #4: Although it will still occur in this sim if a flight is set to take off on the runway, there are reasons that loaded aircraft don't routinely take off in pairs IRL.

5#: Some aircraft do indeed disappear after shutting down, but I haven't quite figured out what the criteria is for that to occur. Hell, a couple of times my wingman's aircraft disappeared even as he was taxiing for takeoff.

Well, it can be scripted, I do that already in my Missions. Perhaps it was scripted in the missions you played as well.

I for example look at the mission without flying myself to see when a package of planes lands and I note the time they are shutdown in the hangar. Then I script that they disappear a few minutes later.

The problem with that is: If you interfer with that planes, for example you delay their landing by loitering around on the airport they should land on they will disappear while taxiing or even in flight.

I will look a bit deeper into the scripting to see if I can set a flag when they enter a hangar or shutdown so I can remove them regardless when this happens. The script command is "DEACTIVATE".

taking off in pairs is quite dangerous, so I understand why it isn't done very often IRL, but I think I remember seeing airplanes rolling onto the runway as pairs and taking off just 10 seconds after each other.

I admit that the way it is done in DCS is almost as fast and a bit safer though.

And Here's a new one:

While I can hear all the packages reaching their waypoints and so on if I switch on the standard channel I don't hear any planes asking for tower permission to taxi, takeoff or land, even when I am on the frequency of the right airport (for example 131.000 for Batumi). That's a pity, I would like to hear that.

• 1 year later...

ATC System Wish List

Since the ATC is being looked at, one thing I wish we had was the ability to have a radio option similar to "I'm with him" or similar.

This would be used when 2 or more planes are taking off or landing the same time.

It's annoying when you get the repeated messages because a second person has entered the runway or lined up for approach.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

• 2 months later...

An ATIS would be great.

RADAR/tower/ground on different freqs

Taxi instructions via taxiway names (prob dreaming with this)

Joins via initial

Traffic info

"Change tactical" calls when clear of airspace

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

• 1 month later...

Here's the next one of my necro-threads.

I know the AI and ATC are being worked on, so please see this old thread from 2011 as another try to gather some ideas and to see what from the original list was fixed and what wasn't.

So what are your experiences and/or ideas?

EDIT: And also the forum structure changed since then, please move this thread, moderators :)

• 4 weeks later...

Air Traffic Control?

I am an Air Traffic Controller in the Air National Guard and as a civilian. Over 20 years total. I can tell you that there are a great number of errors in the air traffic control phraseology and procedures used in this game if it is trying to portray American military or civilian procedures. I would love to help fix this in whatever way I can. Just let me know!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Yes please teach Billy Big Tower some new words and manners. :music_whistling:

ATC voices needed. ED needs a ATC got talent show. I believe something is or was in the cooker already, not sure what's going on there.

Edited by BRooDJeRo

• 4 weeks later...
An ATIS would be great.

Joins via initial

Traffic info

Something that works...............:music_whistling:

Oh and working radios might help too.....:doh:

-Sharpe

Edited by Sharpe_95

I think ATC shud have about 6-8 nm range in the game.It is not good that I have to listen comunication ATC-pilot if I am 100-200 km far from airport.

Well unless the mission is poorly designed you can just change the frequency off of the ATC once you've departed and switch back upon your return. Generally flights shouldn't be set up to use the same frequency as ATC.

Or you could turn that radio off. :D

DCS ATC and Air Base Management Module, Yes Please!

An ATIS would be great.

Joins via initial

Traffic info

Hi,

I agree, especially as we start seeing more Air Craft Models and A.i. ones.

More like FSX VATSIM ...............

This would be kool for ground operations approach and departure management......... imagine a DCS squadron or fleet of air craft departing to mission or Red Flag exercise i.e..... Globemaster III, F-18's, AC-130's, Huey's, B-2 Spirit so on. :thumbup:

This would be for Single Player and Multi-Player with more advanced A.i. Coding as I simply prefer Single Player at this stage.

Cheers,

:beer:

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
IMO a better ATC would improve the immersion 100% (at least at mission start and in the end) . Thought, not easy because there’s too many variables.

Just having the option to ask for an emergency landing would be nice and a big progress.

I hope you're imagining a process or something to clear off whatever scraps stay on the runway! I'm embarrassed by how many times I've tried taking off after someone either wrecks out or crash-lands and run over a flap,wing, tail, or nose cone that makes me just lose my wheels at 200 kts.

If emergency landing is modeled I hope towing and runway cleanup is modeled as well.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

If emergency landing is modeled I hope towing and runway cleanup is modeled as well.
I want the whole package: Animated and automated maintenance vehicles, fuel trucks, cargo tractors, munitions trucks, pushback tugs, passenger buses, security vehicles, catering trucks, Snow plows, sweepers, mowers, fire trucks, stair trucks... And make it a CA style module so that players can actually manage the entire airport traffic operation.
Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I want the whole package: Animated and automated maintenance vehicles, fuel trucks, cargo tractors, munitions trucks, pushback tugs, passenger buses, security vehicles, catering trucks, Snow plows, sweepers, mowers, fire trucks, stair trucks... And make it a CA style module so that players can actually manage the entire airport traffic operation.

Eh..give us the tugs so we aren't floating around when we get towed. I think the rest can be minimal.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill: