Infantry and explosions

Shein

I did a search and found nothing, I apologize if this thread is a repeat.

In hollywood explosions happen very close to people, send them flying, and they're perfectly ok. I think in real life we all know this isn't the case.

However I feel like infantry in DCS world has that hollywood invulnerability; explosions very near infantry don't seem to phase (or kill) like they should. This makes rocket passes and HE rounds from guns (especially the warthogs) very tedious.

I'm not sure if its the infantry's fault, and they have too much health, or the munition's fault, and it has too little radius, but with helicopter campaigns and CAS missions being more popular than ever, this issue is becoming more prominent to me.

Ideas? thoughts? threads my search missed that this could be merged with? :noexpression:

My understanding is that as shockwave and shrapnel are not modelled in DCS currently only a direct hit or being caught in the actual explosion creates the desired effect.

If I am wrong some one will put me right :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm pretty sure some blast radius is modeled, but shrapnel isn't. I don't know if something that increases the damage of certain weapons against specific targets (ie weapons that SHOULD fragment against soft targets) would help or even be possible.

I think there is still some issues with units invulnerability. HE rounds from the KA-50 used to kill infantry in dozens when they hit near, now you can drop a cluster bomb from the A-10 on the grunts and don't kill anyone.

My understanding is that as shockwave and shrapnel are not modelled in DCS currently only a direct hit or being caught in the actual explosion creates the desired effect.

If I am wrong some one will put me right :)

Shockwave and shrapnel are the only ways explosive weapons actually kill people.

Shockwave and shrapnel are the only ways explosive weapons actually kill people.

In DCS it is not

I know shrapnel is not modelled for sure

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I think there is still some issues with units invulnerability. HE rounds from the KA-50 used to kill infantry in dozens when they hit near, now you can drop a cluster bomb from the A-10 on the grunts and don't kill anyone.

:doh:

Yeah, I've experienced that with BS. Direct hit with a fragmentation rocket 2 feet from an AA soldier. He just kept standing there.

Very Annoying.

Edited by Wolfie

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.