So what's the secret to landing in the correct place.

Cowboy10uk

Here's a couple examples of how to land exactly on the right spot. These guys make it look so easy and graceful. Practice makes perfect I guess.

An "Ag" pilot landing on the refuelling/tank truck

A Mountain pilot landing to pick up skiers
Edited by Celo63

Here's a couple examples of how to land exactly on the right spot. These guys make it look so easy and graceful. Practice makes perfect I guess.

An "Ag" pilot landing on the refuelling/tank truck

A Mountain pilot landing to pick up skiers

The bottom vid is just pin point accuracy by that pilot.

Maybe their controls are better than ours, or more than likely they have been doing it for years and we have only been at it a few weeks.

Also the other crucial thing we are all missing in this is one of our senses is missing or not in use.

The sense of feeling is just not there in the virtual world.

I'm ignoring the instruments now and going for the direct visual approach just restricting my vision of instruments to the top portion of the Altimeter, that way I think I can train my brain to visually feel the approach.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

The bottom vid is just pin point accuracy by that pilot.

Maybe their controls are better than ours, or more than likely they have been doing it for years and we have only been at it a few weeks.

Also the other crucial thing we are all missing in this is one of our senses is missing or not in use.

The sense of feeling is just not there in the virtual world.

I'm ignoring the instruments now and going for the direct visual approach just restricting my vision of instruments to the top portion of the Altimeter, that way I think I can train my brain to visually feel the approach.

Pretty much all of the above, plus that second video is an Bell 212, that one had SCAS* form get-go.

Feedback, peripheral vision, hours of experience. But don't worry, we're getting there, plus the environment is still not as complex as the real one is. We don't have to deal with turbulent, descending and ascending flow of air over EVERY object in the game.

Given enough time anyone of us can fly like that in the DCS.

*SCAS - Stability Control Augmentation System, Bell first used it on AH-1G, then on the model 212.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

Pretty much said before but an easy to remember but very important rule for learning "that secret" is:

Pitch = Speed

Collective = Decent rate

Aim for that landing spot with the collective and control your speed by pitch. Of course they affect each other but for learning it is important to distinguish these controls. :joystick:

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pretty much all of the above, plus that second video is an Bell 212, that one had SCAS* form get-go.

Feedback, peripheral vision, hours of experience. But don't worry, we're getting there, plus the environment is still not as complex as the real one is. We don't have to deal with turbulent, descending and ascending flow of air over EVERY object in the game.

Given enough time anyone of us can fly like that in the DCS.

*SCAS - Stability Control Augmentation System, Bell first used it on AH-1G, then on the model 212.

Nice one Sundowner I thought I was on the right track.

Having good hand eye and foot coordination helps to its just muscle memory and practice.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Not hueys and not a video as such, but this is a good slideshow of the kind of places skilled pilots can land or balance on a skid. Very close tolerances in some of these pics. Gotta love choppers :D

Extreme Landings Heli Rescue