Creating nav aids?

Mt5_Roie

Is it possible to create nav aids to aid in a mission? For instance, I want to have the Huey pick up troops at a certain location. I have an IP set there where the troops are, but since an IP doesn't have a radio address, it doesn't mean much.

So how what options do we have? Currently I've been flying and using F10 to navigate to the troops.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Is it possible to create nav aids to aid in a mission? For instance, I want to have the Huey pick up troops at a certain location. I have an IP set there where the troops are, but since an IP doesn't have a radio address, it doesn't mean much.

So how what options do we have? Currently I've been flying and using F10 to navigate to the troops.

Let the troops broadcast on a certain frequency withing the range of your VHF FM radio and use the homing option...

'Frett'

So use advanced waypoint actions and the do set frequency?

What about navaid for drop off points that dont't have units there (well they are there with late activation). Any suggestions then?

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

You can use the Radio Transmission trigger to create a station on a trigger zone.

Could you elaborate on this? Do I need to assign a sound file to it? What frequency should I use and what ADF equipment,

I've looked in the manual and tried a set up with one trigger assigned to UHF AM 234.000 MHz for the UHF Radio ADF mode and one trigger assigned to 1000 KHz / 1 MHz for the AN/ARN-83

and the radio selector knob to radio 2 and 3 respectively, but the CDI remains dead :(

The trigger zone extended far around my position and I was well within 25nm.

Could you elaborate on this? Do I need to assign a sound file to it? What frequency should I use and what ADF equipment,

I've looked in the manual and tried a set up with one trigger assigned to UHF AM 234.000 MHz for the UHF Radio ADF mode and one trigger assigned to 1000 KHz / 1 MHz for the AN/ARN-83

and the radio selector knob to radio 2 and 3 respectively, but the CDI remains dead :(

The trigger zone extended far around my position and I was well within 25nm.

From reading the real manual for the UHF radio, the ADF function isn't used real world (On the UHF radio) so I doubt they modeled it in the sim. That i've found you can't really use the AN/ARC-51BX for navigation.

Since we can't contact JTAC (yet) in the Huey, use FM for navigation/music. UHF will be handy when TARS gets up and running. Watch my video(s) on radio navigation.

Edited by wess24m

From reading the real manual for the UHF radio, the ADF function isn't used real world so I doubt they modeled it in the sim. That i've found you can't really use the AN/ARC-51BX for navigation.

Since we can't contact JTAC (yet) in the Huey, use FM for navigation/music. UHF will be handy when TARS gets up and running. Watch my video(s) on radio navigation.

NDB navigation is still prevalent in Europe and surrounding areas. They still exist in the US as well

ADF is modeled, just used it today in single mission. Tuned to 353 and tracked it back home.

Sorry should have specified, ADF on the UHF band/radio. From the manual it requires an additional radio slave unit be installed. I don't think we have the UHF modeled with the AN/ARC-51BX in the sim.

i.e Batumi is 430 kilohertz which would = 0.43 megahertz which we can't tune our UHF radio to.

Link to the real radio manual

Edited by wess24m

If you plan a mission properly, you don't need a radio fix. Open the mission editor, recognize signs around waypoints, write them down, write down cruising speed, max and min altitudes for performance and profile, time to go for each waypoint, and if you fly her properly, you will always be on the correct wire.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

If you plan a mission properly, you don't need a radio fix. Open the mission editor, recognize signs around waypoints, write them down, write down cruising speed, max and min altitudes for performance and profile, time to go for each waypoint, and if you fly her properly, you will always be on the correct wire.

The problem with that is wind drift and IFR conditions. A lot of the times you also don't have good landmarks to relay to the pilots, unless you happen to be by a river/road they can follow. This is especially true for long distance.

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked in the manual and tried a set up with UHF AMUHF Radio ADF mode and AN/ARNselector knob to radio, but the CDI remains dead :(

The trigger zmy position and I was well within.

If you go to the Tiggers portion of the ME, you can add a Continuous Action when part of a group (your SAR Helo) is in a trigger zone with an Action of 'Radio Transmission'.

Maybe that is what Evil was talking about?

I set mine to my SAR Helo holding zone, FM, Loop, Freq: 1000 (kHz) and 100w power. Not sure if a sound file is actually required or not.

Not sure if this can be dynamic as it is attached to a zone and not a unit.

Fridge

----------

Things which do you no good in aviation:

1) Altitude above you;

2) Runway behind you;

3) Fuel in the truck;

4) The airspeed you don't have.

Also just a FYI, you can use your ADF as well. Just make sure you set your frequency in the mission editor to within the range your adf can receive and set the modulation to am. It's easier to see which direction the signal is propagating from.

I've always used the ELT tone. If you do a search for ELT.wav in google there are plenty of places where you can download it. When you're setting up your "transmit message" in mission editor make sure you check the loop box.

Cant figure it out, can you guys make an example. Where is the trigger menu?

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

If you go to the Tiggers portion of the ME, you can add a Continuous Action when part of a group (your SAR Helo) is in a trigger zone with an Action of 'Radio Transmission'.

Maybe that is what Evil was talking about?

I set mine to my SAR Helo holding zone, FM, Loop, Freq: 1000 (kHz) and 100w power. Not sure if a sound file is actually required or not.

Not sure if this can be dynamic as it is attached to a zone and not a unit.

Ah, thanks for this!!! Was wondering what EB was referring to. Will try that later. So presumably this is a way of adding additional beacons to the mission without using a troop based ELT.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

...and not a unit.

Just make a unit transmit a continuous message using amplitude modulation on a suitable frequency and voilá! A homing signal for your ADF receiver. It works like this:

1) EPLRS(on) - on by default, not sure if it's actually needed for this

2) Set Frequency(0.555) - 0.555 MHz equals 555.000 kHz, so it's in range for ADF

3) Transmit Message("BeatTone.ogg", "", on) - just use whatever audiofile you want, "on" means playback is looping

HTH :)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 3 months later...

I found that ADF homing slaved to R-800L1 does not work in MP, while it's working correctly in SP.

Can someone suggest a solution? It's my fault or I have to report a bug?

miz file attached: you're a lone KA-50 on Kobuleti. There are 3 units continously emitting on 124.000, 131.000, 288.000. In SP you can hear the tone and setting ADF slave the HSI correctly work. In MP you can't hear anything and HSI point always at helicopter nose.

NDB test.miz

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.