The Morning After....tips and tricks learned

Mt5_Roie

So I figured after an exhausted day yesterday of flying the Huey we can stop and reflect on some tips and tricks that we've learned. I learned a great deal yesterday. So figured I'd share.

-Set your controllers up ahead of time. I made sure my dead zones were set and set the curves to around 20. I found this cut down on the crazy cyclic and rudder movements.

-Autopilot saves and kills. So I've had a couple times when the Huey was getting all wobly on me so putting it in level flight saved my flight. But I've had it crash into the ground using the orbit. So I've stuck to just level flight.

-Autopilot can also teach! If you have the control indicator up and turn on the autopilot you can see what inputs it's giving the Huey. So putting it in level flight I can see the settings I need to be at compared to where I'm at. So I've learned to fly the Huey better by seeing how the autopilot controls the Huey.

-The training mission for cold start seems a little confusing at time. It highlites switches even though your not suppose to move them. A good example is the starter switch. It's already set correctly. But since the yellow box hinders some of the text it makes you think you need to flip it. Well if you do, you can't start the engines. Took me about an hour of doing the mission over and over to figure that one out. There are a couple other areas that are the same. Overall the yellow box hinders text - maybe make it more transparent?

-The door gunners gun....well can't do much damage but looks cool. I did manage to actually kill some infantry with it with a direct hit, but it was tough. It didn't seem to even effect a fuel truck or other non-armoured vehicles. So I guess it's just for people mowing.

-Co-pilot view is cool. The flexible sight is pretty cool when you learn to use it. It can point the minigun very nicely and makes for precision fire support. It's much better then the door gunners and can take out light vehicles. Plus it looks amazing coming out and there is plenty of ammo!

-Takeoff are a pain. I've watched the takeoff and ground effect video many times and still can't match it. But here's a secret I learned. Pull the stick a little back and to the left and set the trim there. Same with the rudder. This makes takeoff a little more controlled (since it's what they do in the video essentially). Overall, the trim has made takeoffs a lot better for me.

-The airspeed indicator doesn't work below 30-40 knots. I'm told this is how it is in real life too. Sort of how the A-10C doesn't really do much below 50 knots unless you use the CDU to see ground speed. So sometimes you need to judge your speed on your own. This only makes landings so much harder.

-The higher you are, the less it looks like your actually moving forward. I was at around 2000 feet and doing 100 knots and I still felt like I was barely moving. I found that really hugging the terrain was much better.

-Landings. Grrr. I've crashed the Huey so many times on landings. What I've learned is that you need to really approach it like a plane and come in and land it almost like a plane. You flare at the last minute to lose some more speed and eventaully set her down. I did learn that when you get low there is a moment you need to pull on the collective or she'll drop really fast. Sometimes I would over pull and go up again. This takes lots of practice.

-For some reason you can't click on the Master Caution light to make it go out. So use R on the keyboard instead.

-There is no 8-track player in the Huey that I play rise of the valkykrie on.

So share your knowledge folks.....working on getting a video together of my flights yesterday.

• Like 2

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

-Landings. Grrr. I've crashed the Huey so many times on landings. What I've learned is that you need to really approach it like a plane and come in and land it almost like a plane. You flare at the last minute to lose some more speed and eventaully set her down. I

Now try this in a Vietnam scenario in a hot LZ in the middle of a jungle :helpsmilie:

Great tips, even though I don't have the module at the moment, I like these tips to get yourself accustomed. Keep em coming guys :)

Someone pointed out to me yesterday that for landing if you hold the nose just a little above the horizon (refer to attitude indicator) and adjust collective for your glide(?) path, the Huey will slow nicely and give you a nice approach to your hover point.

But here's a secret I learned. Pull the stick a little back and to the left and set the trim there. Same with the rudder. This makes takeoff a little more controlled (since it's what they do in the video essentially). Overall, the trim has made takeoffs a lot better for me.

This one helped me so much !! Thank you :thumbup:

I just managed something somehow resembling a hover !

(Rudders not trimmed but set a more aggressive curve)

The hardest part for me now is landing, especially the transition from forward flight to hover, it always ends in "The Crazy Dancing Huey Show" :lol:

The hardest part for me now is landing, especially the transition from forward flight to hover, it always ends in "The Crazy Dancing Huey Show" :lol:

Same here. I described it to someone as being like a top that has begun to lose its spin and is beginning to oscillate out of control. I attempted the first campaign mission last night, and had one of my best flight sim experiences of all time on that 90 minute cross-country flight as the sun sets in the west, but everything went bad once it was time to land. I quit out when I had completely lost control of the helicopter, which had entered a 75 degree right bank and was plummeting to the earth with only a few feet left too go before impact. :P

Don't try to fly it like the shark, thats what my biggest mistake was. As Doright said, holding the nose +1-+5 degrees slows her down nicely, also so sets you up for a nice easy hover. Once I settled down with all the yanking and banking I found she is a very nice flying chopper.

I attempted the first campaign mission last night, and had one of my best flight sim experiences of all time on that 90 minute cross-country flight as the sun sets in the west, but everything went bad once it was time to land.

I just did that mission, you´re right, it was great !

Now for the funny part: I was about to land, just before the "Dancing Huey" part when suddenly the second one of the two hinds appeared in front of me from the left. This startled me and I did some "reflex"-movements with all the controls to avoid crashing into it, the only thing I remember was yanking back on the stick, and this wild yanking somehow put me in a relatively nice hover just in front of the pad and I managed to settle her down on the H without damages !:clap_2:

Thanks, unknown AI Hind pilot, you saved the day ! Now I just need you to be there just in time everytime I want to land :smilewink:

After the good experience with using the trim for takeoff as roiegat described I use the force trim thingy much more often, and it helps.

Highlites from yesterdays flying:

:thumbup:

Fantastic, looks rather familiar. Damn she's hard to fly, but oh so much fun.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

:thumbup:

Fantastic, looks rather familiar. Damn she's hard to fly, but oh so much fun.

Cowboy10uk

It's like a drug....can't seem to stop wanting to fly it.

It's like a drug....can't seem to stop wanting to fly it.

:thumbup: +1000

That would explain, why I was up till 1AM this morning, and then up again flying at 7.30AM.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I worked from home yesterday so flew it between meeting from around 10am-4pm (about 4 hours total flying/crashing). My wife and kids then came home. Normally I would have kept flying, but it was such a nice day and my daughters wanted to play outside. So I spent about 3 hours outside with them running around and playing. My wife had errands to run and she texted me asked if I was ok since she knew it was torture for me not to be flying then. But I love my kids so it was cool. I did stay up until 11 pm flying though.

I worked from home yesterday so flew it between meeting from around 10am-4pm (about 4 hours total flying/crashing). My wife and kids then came home. Normally I would have kept flying, but it was such a nice day and my daughters wanted to play outside. So I spent about 3 hours outside with them running around and playing. My wife had errands to run and she texted me asked if I was ok since she knew it was torture for me not to be flying then. But I love my kids so it was cool. I did stay up until 11 pm flying though.

:thumbup: Well the family does always have to come first, But Im glad you managed to get some flying in. Sadly I wont be able to fly now until Friday. :(

But what a great evening ive just had, even if i have just been shouted at by my wife, because I ordered pizza from my ipad, so I didnt have to stop flying, rather than cook tea. :D

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just tried this out and am starting with the cold start training. For the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! After flipping the indicated switches to their proper position (yes, some of them already start out that way as the OP indicates) I get this alarm sounding right after I turn the battery on that and it won't go away and I can't take off despite having the rotors moving. I've attempted this 8x now and it's the same each time. I know I'm doing something wrong or in the wrong order but I'm clueless as to what it is. Anyone else as dumb as me that has figured it out? :) Thanks!

Well I tried again and did exactly the same thing, except for turning off the alarm for low RPMs, and did manage to take off this time! It wasn't pretty and of course I crashed trying to land but at least I got her up! :)

Edited by 609 Avatar
Add more info

S!

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case

So I figured after an exhausted day yesterday of flying the Huey we can stop and reflect on some tips and tricks that we've learned. I learned a great deal yesterday. So figured I'd share.

-Takeoff are a pain. I've watched the takeoff and ground effect video many times and still can't match it. But here's a secret I learned. Pull the stick a little back and to the left and set the trim there. Same with the rudder. This makes takeoff a little more controlled (since it's what they do in the video essentially). Overall, the trim has made takeoffs a lot better for me.

That's not really a secret, that's where your control position has to be for picking up/hover

-The airspeed indicator doesn't work below 30-40 knots.

This is absolutely incorrect. It certainly does. Not having the skill to fly under 40 knots does not constitute that it does not work.

-The higher you are, the less it looks like your actually moving forward. I was at around 2000 feet and doing 100 knots and I still felt like I was barely moving. I found that really hugging the terrain was much better.

:doh::rolleyes:

-Landings. Grrr. I've crashed the Huey so many times on landings. What I've learned is that you need to really approach it like a plane and come in and land it almost like a plane. You flare at the last minute to lose some more speed and eventaully set her down.

Yes, if you incapable of landing in any way other than a run on landing. Bringing it into a hover and setting it down lightly is ideal.

-For some reason you can't click on the Master Caution light to make it go out. So use R on the keyboard instead.

There is a Master Caution Reset Switch to left of the Master Caution Panel on the Center Console

Maybe get more proficient instead of giving people bad information. :thumbup:

Edited by Scout
  • Like 1

System Specs: MSI Big Bang Fuzion P55 1156, Intel Core i5-661 OC to 4.17GHz, EVGA GTX660TI 3GB, Corsair 750W PSU, 8 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 PC3 12800 1600MHz, Creative THX Quantum Wave True Studio, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Corsair Hydro H70 CPU Cooler, Saitek Pro Flight Yolk System, Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, X52 Pro, TrackIR 5 with Pro Clip

[...]

The alarm is the rotor RPM low warning, there's a switch for it on the left side of the console that has the fuel shutoff lever.

As for your startup woes, please post a track.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Flying around at low air speeds I get indications on the IAS gauge under 40 knots, weather its rotor downwash or actual ram air going through the pitot system, it can be held at airspeeds under 40 knots.

System Specs: MSI Big Bang Fuzion P55 1156, Intel Core i5-661 OC to 4.17GHz, EVGA GTX660TI 3GB, Corsair 750W PSU, 8 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 PC3 12800 1600MHz, Creative THX Quantum Wave True Studio, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Corsair Hydro H70 CPU Cooler, Saitek Pro Flight Yolk System, Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, X52 Pro, TrackIR 5 with Pro Clip

• ED Team

The pilots sight "M" has helped me, having it up has given me a reference point to fix on while flying, also I find it easier to fly a heavy bird.

Huey really is great stuff, and night flying is wow, watching the Gatling guns fire is awesome :)

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Maybe get more proficient instead of giving people bad information. :thumbup:

As the title of the thread indicates, this was suppose to be about sharing experiences the day after the release. One day of flying doesn't make your a great helicopter pilot.

There are two ways you could reply to such a thread. The first is share your experience and what you found out to actually help the community and the new pilots learn. The second is negate all experiences and offer no real help.

I never stated in the start of the thread that I was an expert pilot. I simply stated that here is what i've learned after a day of flying it. As the video shows, I have quite a bit of flying to do to get better. In fact, last nights flights were a lot better then the first day. Since I read a lot of advice on here I was able to apply that to my flying and actually be better.

Were here to help people Scout. T

hanks to all those who've responded with some great tip and advice.

• Like 1

The pilots sight "M" has helped me, having it up has given me a reference point to fix on while flying, also I find it easier to fly a heavy bird.

Huey really is great stuff, and night flying is wow, watching the Gatling guns fire is awesome :)

The 'M' activates the flexible sights for the copilot (which are pretty cool), but also adds a bullseye on the pilots side as well. Great tip BignewY!

Ok love this thing, first flight I got like 25 landings just from hovering. Was trying the single easy combat mission and after about 12 tries was able to kill all the targets, then crashed on top of them trying to hover and gloat! Only thing I can't figure out is after the mission it says 22 targets destroyed but shows I only killed 8? Can't figure that out, might be bullets bouncing don't count as a kill for the pilot. Also setup up flexible sight slewing to Hotas hat so I can slew guns as pilot for better aiming.

Edited by canadianbaken

There is a Test/Reset switch just next to the master warning panel.

Yeah, I know, as a pilot you are used to push the thing that flashes :D

Rock 'n' Roll!

Henning