F-18 grip, WARTHOG compatible

Holy mother of god. I just stumbled upon this thread today. Read the whole thing start to finish. Have to say, it was super inspiring to read because I essentially got to watch this project go from a glimmer in a maker's eye to what seems to be approaching reality.

I'm still skeptical because this kind of thing has never been done before, but I'm glued to my screen because... this kind of thing has never been done before! I've been following 3D printing and small scale manufacturing for ages with this itching feeling that it might lead to a moment like this (high quality, highly specialized products for a niche community at affordable prices) but I didn't expect it to be in this sector, one that I'm a big fan of.

I support this project 100%, including putting money down on equipment, and if I had anything useful to contribute to it (as a photographer and web designer) I'd offer those services for free.

Please keep up the hard work! And please consider starting a video blog of your progress!

Entropy Squadron

Possibly the least serious group of pilots on Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I remember seeing what looked like a WWII fighter stick in one of the prototype CAD design images you posted and had a question. With the metal flip cover over the firing button, would there be a way to have the flipping of the cover on the physical stick trigger the sim to flip the cover on the virtual stick? Or would that not be possible? I understand this might not be possible for you to answer until you make a physical prototype.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

This is possible, but need a hidden micro switch under the trigger in safety - as in the photo - position to send signal do the game turn the virtual trigger (DCS Bf 109 K-4, Fw 190 D-9).

attachment.php?attachmentid=194498&stc=1&d=1303266050

Edited by Sokol1_br

Uhhh, don't you already have a A-10C if you have the Warthog? Why would you need another one?

If he also does a new base with superior gimbals, I'm definitely getting that. But yes, given the sticks he makes are compatible with the warthog, the warthog stick must also be compatible with the base he intends to make. Good catch there, thanks. ;)

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Link to this thread was posted on Facebook today. Holy cow, it is not often that I will read every single post in a 57 page thread in one sitting!

Count me in, I want them. All of them :)

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

I'd be more than happy to pay 100$+ for one of these sticks! :thumbup:

Keep up the great work buddy, you should get a kickstarter going! :thumbup: :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Give me two Australian divisions and I will conquer the world.."

- Erwin Rommel

Quick question before an update:

what's the deal with shut off, idle, afterburner etc. detents on the F-18 throttles?

I know people requested a mod for warthog throttles, to change the "lift-up" detent to a "push-through" detent. Should it be like that?

And how many detents should there be (and for what)?

A copy of the F 18-1 should have all the information you need it is on line just google it. I am on my phone or I would just attach one here and save you the time.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

I personally would prefer the shutoff to still be a lift over setup. But detects that we can push through for afterburner would be awesome!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Quick question before an update:

what's the deal with shut off, idle, afterburner etc. detents on the F-18 throttles?

I know people requested a mod for warthog throttles, to change the "lift-up" detent to a "push-through" detent. Should it be like that?

And how many detents should there be (and for what)?

i've gone in and filed down the piece so that it is a "push through" action that engages the afterburner

there should only be one detent

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i've gone in and filed down the piece so that it is a "push through" action that engages the afterburner

there should only be one detent

Hmm so there's a stop point but you can push through it? Would love to see a pic of what you did to the detent! That's what I need to do.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Just for the record: The issue with the TM HOTAS throttle is that the "lift" force required to overcome the springs is more or less the same as required to lift the entire unit.

Silly oversight, that.

Thats why mine is screwed onto my flying chair...

As fot the question, do what the real plane has if possible.

I'll third that SDsc0rch, I filed mine down a little so the lift wasn't so high, but was worried to go further and mess it up.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

What Sgt Baker mentions is an issue I had as well before grabbing a cockpit setup where I could anchor the throttle down. Prior to that I actually stopped using the detent because of the throttle lifting and moving, instead I'd push forward until burner kicked in then throttled back until it cut out. Definitely an oversight by TM. Anchoring it down solves it but not everyone has that option. If it's possible it might be a good idea to sell both a push through and a lift detent, gives everyone the option that's best for them.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

I imagine that SDsc0rch has simply trimmed down the detent as I have, and as show in the pic below. Simple case of shaving of a small amount of material with a scalpel/file until you get the desired "push through" effect.

I only had to remove a few mm of plastic to end up with a nice solid stop that you can push through by adding just a bit more force than you'd normally use to move the throttles.

7F137E78-1EE6-49EC-B4F6-F967737485C9.jpg

• Like 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I just made this modification to the detent on my Warthog throttle and it works great! Very easy to do!

I just scraped the sharp edge down a tiny bit with an X-acto knife and then smoothed and rounded the edge with a miniature rasp file. The plastic used for the detent is easy to scrape with the X-acto knife and very easy to file, yet it's firm enough that you don't have to worry about going too far and removing too much plastic. Just remove very small amounts at a time, then smooth the scraped area with the file and test it in between until you've found the optimum resistance. The key is to have a very rounded edge on the little plastic "wings" of the detent insert.

The push-through requires very little extra force, yet the throttle seats firmly into the detent to give a definite distinction between military power and AB. Works great for the DCS F-15C! The AB engages/disengages right at the detent.

Thanks to SDsc0rch and Eddie for the tip!

Greg

Edited by ggerman

yep! that is exactly correct ----- good job guys

8)

and yeah, be careful ----- i filed away, seated it back in the throttle, tried it out - filed some more, put it back in, filed some more

and you have to do that for both sides (left and right throttle grips)

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]