F-18 grip, WARTHOG compatible

Do yourself a favor and avoid Makerbot at all costs.

If you want to go with a pre-assembled machine, I would recommend the LulzBot TAZ. (http://www.lulzbot.com)

If you're up to building your own machine, a Prusa i3 design is a good, simple to build machine. You can learn more about that here: http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_i3 People seem to like the design.

If you want a kit, go for a Rostock MAX - I wrote the assembly manual for it and it's a GREAT machine. :D (see http://www.geneb.org/rostock-max/geneb-orange-menace.jpg) :)

You should also hang out on the #reprap IRC channel on the freenode network. You won't find a more knowledgeable bunch of folks on 3D printing.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you've got about 3D printing - just PM me.

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007.

http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of her kind.

I will certainly be following this thread closely. If replacement grips (and replacement throttle handles) for TM Warthog are being made, especially if they will be Sukhoi SU27/33/35, I am here to throw money at you big time, hegykc.

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

OMG IM SO EXITED! Thank you so much! Unfortunately, kickstarter doesn't accept paypal. I missed out on many things because of this :(.

I am very clueless on these attachments to be honest, even though I have been following this thread for a long time. I have a few questions if you don't mind to answer them, hegykc.

So if I'm correct you will be selling HOTAS sets for the F-15 and F/A-18, because these are the two I am very interested in. I want to know how easy it is to set up with my current HOTAS Warthog.

1. Is it as simple as detaching my current stick and replacing it with a new stick? How would that work with the throttle, because I have never done it before. Or would it be a completely new throttle set (I assume not because this would be quite expensive I assume)

2. What you're saying is that probably before February or during February of 2014, we will be able to purchase these sets from you worldwide. Will you accept paypal as a payment method and where will you sell these sets exactly?

3. Will the HOTAS sets be exact models of the F-15 and F/A-18, meaning that all buttons are there?

4. What is the build quality of these sets? From my understanding, 3D printers only print plastic, not metal, am I correct? So will these sets contain metal parts? And what about the buttons? I remember you mentioning something about that you ordered the buttons separately?

5. What were the pedals you were talking about earlier and something about the WWII kickstarter project. I currently have the Saitek Pro Flight pedals, which are ok, but what type of pedals are the ones you gave a link to? Is it something that models WWII aircraft? Or just for any type of simulation? And does it actually function?

If you don't have the time to answer these, no pressure. Thank you so much for this project once again! I can't tell you enough how much we all appreciate your work. I haven't seen a lot of people on this thread, but I'm sure that once you start selling, people will be begging for these HOTAS sets!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1. Is it as simple as detaching my current stick and replacing it with a new stick? How would that work with the throttle, because I have never done it before. Or would it be a completely new throttle set (I assume not because this would be quite expensive I assume)

2. What you're saying is that probably before February or during February of 2014, we will be able to purchase these sets from you worldwide. Will you accept paypal as a payment method and where will you sell these sets exactly?

3. Will the HOTAS sets be exact models of the F-15 and F/A-18, meaning that all buttons are there?

4. What is the build quality of these sets? From my understanding, 3D printers only print plastic, not metal, am I correct? So will these sets contain metal parts? And what about the buttons? I remember you mentioning something about that you ordered the buttons separately?

5. What were the pedals you were talking about earlier and something about the WWII kickstarter project. I currently have the Saitek Pro Flight pedals, which are ok, but what type of pedals are the ones you gave a link to? Is it something that models WWII aircraft? Or just for any type of simulation? And does it actually function?

1. The grips will be as simple as it is with the current Warthog grip, just attach/detach. I could produce those now, but not in perfect finish quality, and not in larger quantities, and I don't want any compromises. The throttles are a different story. It would require dissembling a 450$ unit, and that's not the smartest way to go about it. So they'll probably be a separate add on. Expensive? We'll see :D

2. By the beginning of 2014 I'll be making my first prototypes. There will maybe be some open beta testing :) I wouldn't count on any finished products until later in the year, Maybe even 2015. I don't want to get tied up into making single orders, because I could do that even now. I want to have tooling and production processes figured out and done. So I can make a thousand pieces, box them, and have them ready to go when needed. That's the only way to have them at consumer prices.

3. I want replicas, so you'll have replicas.

4. Prototypes will be of the lowest quality, something like seen in the picture I posted before. The printer I'm building is capable of surface finishing that can rival that of injection molded parts. Everything that's plastic in real life will be plastic made by me. But you can see the difference in wall thickness in something like a cheap "made in china" joystick and a real F-15 grip Geneb posted. Plastic can still be heavy-duty. Everything will be made in heavy duty plastic resin. If it's metal in real life, I'll offer metal replicas, at higher prices.

5. http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3782056/Rudder_pedals_prototype_1_poss#Post3782056

Best pedals money can buy right now, outside of russian VKB which are full metal, but don't ship outside Russia? and cost about 2-3 times as much.

1. The grips will be as simple as it is with the current Warthog grip, just attach/detach. I could produce those now, but not in perfect finish quality, and not in larger quantities, and I don't want any compromises. The throttles are a different story. It would require dissembling a 450$ unit, and that's not the smartest way to go about it. So they'll probably be a separate add on. Expensive? We'll see :D

2. By the beginning of 2014 I'll be making my first prototypes. There will maybe be some open beta testing :) I wouldn't count on any finished products until later in the year, Maybe even 2015. I don't want to get tied up into making single orders, because I could do that even now. I want to have tooling and production processes figured out and done. So I can make a thousand pieces, box them, and have them ready to go when needed. That's the only way to have them at consumer prices.

3. I want replicas, so you'll have replicas.

4. Prototypes will be of the lowest quality, something like seen in the picture I posted before. The printer I'm building is capable of surface finishing that can rival that of injection molded parts. Everything that's plastic in real life will be plastic made by me. But you can see the difference in wall thickness in something like a cheap "made in china" joystick and a real F-15 grip Geneb posted. Plastic can still be heavy-duty. Everything will be made in heavy duty plastic resin. If it's metal in real life, I'll offer metal replicas, at higher prices.

5. http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3782056/Rudder_pedals_prototype_1_poss#Post3782056

Best pedals money can buy right now, outside of russian VKB which are full metal, but don't ship outside Russia? and cost about 2-3 times as much.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer all those questions! All of them have been answered. Good luck!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Best case scenario was I start by the end of this year. That's not looking likely due to life getting in the way :)

I have a scheduled payout in January 2014 from my business venture so it looks like I'll be buying my equipment early next year.

In the meantime I'm buying up and gathering plans and drawings, especially on WWII stuff, and working on completing the 3d models.

Also talking to some of the other builders, in an effort to combine our efforts into one awesome and affordable product.

So there probably won't be much news until early next year...

FYI, my count just went up by one:

:D

g.

You must be planning an invasion of some sort :)

Or bakealight ..... Id be interested in a change of joystick around the 150 USD price .

What other grips do you intend to do please ?

Take your pick :

sticksm.jpg

But this actually depends on DCS, whatever they make, I want to fly it. With real look alike or replica controls.

The stick of the F-15C and F/A-18C are the same. Not the throttles though

The stick grips on the F-15C and F/A-18C are not the same. The side switch on the F-15C grip is very different in molding contour than the F/A-18. The hat & castle switches are flipped left/right between the two as well.

g.

• Like 1

Proud owner of 80-0007.

http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of her kind.

The stick grips on the F-15C and F/A-18C are not the same. The side switch on the F-15C grip is very different in molding contour than the F/A-18. The hat & castle switches are flipped left/right between the two as well.

g.

The shape of the whole top end is different too, though at a glance looks quite similar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...